What is the matter with me?

Options
This afternoon I decided to jump on my brother's spare bicycle. I've been thinking about taking his bicycle for a spin for a while, because to burn at least 500 calories per day, I'm needing to walk up to two hours per day. My running shoes are pretty much ruined and I need to replace them, but won't be able to until the new year. So I decided to pick up the bicycle and go for a spin. I was riding on some fairly flat terrain, and then I came to a hill, which I attempted to ride up. When I got to the top of the hill, I had to get off the bike because I feel suddenly very nauseated and dizzy. After my heart rate slowed and I felt a little better I continued on my ride. When I arrived home (after riding for a total of 35 minutes), I felt dizzy and sick all over again.

While I'm not going to be discouraged from continuing riding the bicycle, I really would prefer to not feel like this every time I go for a short ride. The frustrating thing for me is that when I used to go the gym every day and worked hard on the cardio machines there, I never felt like this.

Does anyone have any experiences with feeling like this during exercise? If so, how did you overcome it?

Replies

• weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Were you well-hydrated? Had you consumed a reasonable amount of protein within a few hours of your intense activity? Do you have any history of blood pressure issues? There are any number of things that could enter in to it. If it happens again, it might be time to consult your doctor.
  • AdventureVia
    AdventureVia Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    yeah I get like that when I'm dehydrated. It can totally bring you to your knees.
  • kurayami
    Options
    Hm, dehydration? Well that was likely what it was then. I'm pretty much never hydrated. I probably only drink about two (at most six) glasses of water a day. I drink diet soda and coffee and that's it. If I don't have diet soda, then I hardly drink at all. Also, yeah, I had little protein and had only eaten a small lunch and some chocolate. Perhaps I'm unrealistic, but I just expect my body to cope with lack of food/lack of water and deal with it. Which I guess means I just need to deal with the consequences. Thanks for your answer guys!
  • Bzbear2
    Bzbear2 Posts: 109
    Options
    ... if you are only drinking diet soda and coffee you are dehydrating yourself even more - caffeine works like that. Drink water!!!! really!!! :D
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Unless you were riding in a tropical rain forest in the highest heat of the day, I seriously doubt that you became dehydrated after a 35 minute bike ride. Most likely, you just attempted to do something at an intensity you body just wasn't ready for. Ease into any new activity--take it slow and build up your endurance. You should be fine.
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    Heh, Azdak, nice one.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer has told me if I get dizzy or naseous during a workout I'm probably exercising a little too hard and to dial it down a notch. That usually helps.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I'm with Azdak that you probably pushed yourself a little past your limit, like on the biggest loser when they puke everywhere!