Best time of day to take Vitamins?

Options
Hi there,

I take these supplements every day:

- Centrum Ultra Women's (multivitamin) - I am anemic and this gives me a good helping of iron along with other important minerals
- B Complex (for converting food into energy and not fat)
- Vitamin C (immune system)
- Vitamin D (don't get much sun and I heard its good for losing abdominal fat?)

Anyway - when I take them in the morning I don't feel like I lose as much weight as when I used to take them with my lunch in the afternoon.

Is there a timeframe each day when we should take our vitamins for ideal absorption into the system so they actually work? I would love to hear some input - thanks!

Replies

• beethedreamer
    beethedreamer Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    i've heard you shouldn't take all your vitamins all at once because then they will have to fight for absorption and then its pretty much useless taking all of them. other than that, i don't really know the answer.

i'm curious for the answer to this question too :)
  • Disciplined74
    Disciplined74 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Here's my suggestion -

Take the multi-vitamin at night before you go to bed that way it has time to set in your stomach and actually get absorbed before you use the bathroom. A time released one taken in the morning is the best.

I suggest taking a Calcuim with the Vitamin D. Both are great weight loss promotors and you need the D in order for your body to use the Calcuim. Of which you usually take 2 a day I would go with breakfast and dinner.

The B is more for energy so I would take it in the morning so you have it all day.

And the C is for immunity so I would go with a morning schedule on that one too.

I think the other person is on to something about not taking them all at once.

Make sure your doctor and pharmacist know what over-the-counter meds (including vitamins) you are taking and the next time you have an appointment with or see either ask them what they suggest especially if you are on any prescribed meds.

- Eva
  • jerseygirl777
    Options
    I am not sure about the "best" time, but I read somewhere that you shouldn't take them after working out. I used to take them in the morning but it started making me feel sick to my stomach. Now I take mine around 1-2pm and that seems to work for me. I think each person varies. Find what works best for you. Good luck!
  • championnfl
    championnfl Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Once heard Dr. Oz. say the best time is PM. when body shuts down for the night! [sleeping]:wink:
    Google vitamins!
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I've always taken my at night... not before bed, but after dinner. If I take them in the morning or on an empty stomach, I get queasy.
  • pkd1
    pkd1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine is a dietiation, and she told me any time i take a vitamin you should take it with food so its absorbed faster then on a empty stomach
  • virginiagomes
    virginiagomes Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info.

Is it necessary to take suplemental Vit D and C if one is taking a multivitamin?
  • mizzmorales89
    Options
    Dr. Oz says to split your vitamins. If you take them all at once then your body can't absorb all of it. Like a multivitamin should be cut in half and one half taken in the morning and the other at night.

I don't take a multivitamin because they tend to make me sick but I do take calcium and vitamin D in the morning and then B complex with vitamin C at lunch time. I also take cinnamon with two of my meals a day.
  • aussiemama
    aussiemama Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My GP told me Vitamin D and C together at night for full absorption. You should have a blood test to know your Vitamin D level to ensure you are taking the right amount of Vit D. For example i am a pathetic 27 and am taking 3000IUD of Vit D and 2000 Vit C nightly for 3 months, then have another blood test to see where my levels are at and adjust accordingly (I am Australian, and we've been taught to stay away from the sun hence my low levels)
    Multi's are best in the morning with breakfast.
  • SarahSweetie87
    Options
    Check out this article. It says that you may lose all of the vitamins you take in the morning if you don't eat. It also says that taking them in the morning, even with food, is not the best time to take them. They (and Dr Oz) also suggest taking half in the morning and half at night. Read more here:http://www.livestrong.com/article/307215-is-it-better-to-take-vitamins-at-night-or-morning/#page=1