Are Rest Days Necessary?

Options
I do HIIT 7 days a week, and I have to do this or I restrict my calories. Do I really need a rest day?

Replies

• angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I think so. I'm taking one tomorrow. I've been walking at least 5 miles per day every day for the last 17 days.
  • KafeAyiti
    KafeAyiti Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yes m'am. At least one day is need. Just to let your muscles to recover.
  • sarapeps
    sarapeps Posts: 3
    Options
    But if I don't exercise then I can't eat anything for the day.
  • Noc6285
    Noc6285 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I would say yes, but everyone is different. Listen to your body. I have read that women recover fast from HIIT than men do.
  • ATGsquats
    ATGsquats Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I just listen to my body. I rest if I need it.
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Yes for high intensity work outs (especially anaerobic exercise) - muscles do not grow in the gym they grow / repair in recovery this takes time.

Cardio you can do every day if you like.
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    If I didn't take a rest day I wouldn't be able to progress in my workouts.

I never understand how anyone can exercise 7 days of week for any length of time if they are working hard during their workouts.
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options

Oh yea? Just watch me. I'm pigging out tomorrow.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

uh, what?
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options

<= It is average caloric intake that counts. If you happen to be a bit over one day and under the next as long as the net result is a deficit of calories in vs out you will lose weight overall. Most will say cardio can be used to maintain a deficit every day what you need to be aware of any muscle groups that are in "repair" IE: Have been hit with high intensity they need time to repair.
  • sarapeps
    sarapeps Posts: 3
    Options
    I eat <1,100 calories per day when I am working out.
  • nking404
    nking404 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Yes m'am. At least one day is need. Just to let your muscles to recover.

Exactly, You want to give your body sometime to recover im no expert but i would definately say yes IMO. Your constantly breaking your muscles down and resting them gives them a chance to recover and become stronger. And you would definately be able to eat on a rest day believe me I went HAM on some doughnuts my last rest day hahahaha GOOD LUCK!
  • nking404
    nking404 Posts: 73 Member
    Options

Oh yea? Just watch me. I'm pigging out tomorrow.

LMAO!!! NICE!
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options

Do you really mean you can't eat anything at all, or are you kind of exaggerating/being ironic? :)

I see that you posted later on that you eat less than 1100 calories per day when you are working out. As you have probably seen many times, MFP and lots of experienced MFP members both strongly recommend the lowest net calorie intake, even for a very small woman, to be 1200 calories. Both your intake and your attitude about not being able to eat anything if you don't exercise make me think you may have an eating disorder/improper attitude about food and exercise.

Please read about the lowest healthy daily intake and exercise habits and think about what you are doing to your body. If you need to, see a nutritionist or a therapist as it sounds like there is a lot more going on here than not wanting to take a rest day.
  • auntiemsgr8
    auntiemsgr8 Posts: 483 Member
    Options

You BARELY eat 1100 calories when your goal is over 1600 without figuring in your exercise. I would say you are not eating enough and with the solid workouts you appear to be doing you are going to do yourself harm. You may not think so but eventually you will.

You need to take regular days off fro exercise. You have plenty of calories for it
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options

Do you really mean you can't eat anything at all, or are you kind of exaggerating/being ironic? :)

I see that you posted later on that you eat less than 1100 calories per day when you are working out. As you have probably seen many times, MFP and lots of experienced MFP members both strongly recommend the lowest net calorie intake, even for a very small woman, to be 1200 calories. Both your intake and your attitude about not being able to eat anything if you don't exercise make me think you may have an eating disorder/improper attitude about food and exercise.

Please read about the lowest healthy daily intake and exercise habits and think about what you are doing to your body. If you need to, see a nutritionist or a therapist as it sounds like there is a lot more going on here than not wanting to take a rest day.
  • daw0518
    daw0518 Posts: 459 Member
    Options

Uh, what? This makes me so sad. You're being really unreasonable with your goals & you clearly have an unhealthy view of eating and exercise.

You can eat like 1800-2000 calories on a day that you're not exercising and you won't gain any weight - you'll maintain. Eat 1600 calories on a day that you're not exercising [your actual goal] and you would still be in deficit and losing weight. Your belief that you can't eat anything on days you don't exercise is totally ridiculous. Please eat. Your body burns calories naturally even on days you're not working out. Please read up on what a healthy caloric intake is for your height/weight, I'm pretty sure 1200 is the lowest a woman should ever go safely. Please get help. Seriously.
  • daniellabella986
    daniellabella986 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure you should be eating...does this even need to be said????
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    faniq_comimagesblogTrollToll.gif
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    If you don't exercise, you can't eat? Where did you get that nutritional advice?