What is a realistic weight goal?

Options
I am 36 years old and am 5'1" tall and right now I weigh 160 lbs. and I am unsure what a realistic weight goal should be for someone of my height and age, I would love to get down between 105 lbs. and 115 lbs. but not really sure if that is a realistic goal for me. anyone have any suggestions??

Replies

• Amelia7779
    Amelia7779 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Baby steps! It's hard to know how you'll look and feel at a given weight, so I'd aim for 10% of your body weight to start...around 145. Then, reassess and go from there. Good luck!

For reference purposes, the BMI range for 5'1" is 100-132 for normal weight, but there are so many factors--body composition, age, frame, build that it's really hard to come up with the best number for you.

Edit: bmi numbers
  • kiwitechgirl
    kiwitechgirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    It's hard to know...I'm 5'3" and aiming for 55kg (which is 121 pounds). My original goal was 57.5kg but at that weight there were a couple of bits I still wanted to work on; currently I'm just over 56kg and those bits are on the improve so I think 55kg will be it for me. It's one of those things you'll probably need to reassess as you go along.
  • C_Zacklan1977
    Options
    Thank you for the info. :smile:
  • jbugiel
    jbugiel Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am 36 years old and am 5'1" tall and right now I weigh 160 lbs. and I am unsure what a realistic weight goal should be for someone of my height and age, I would love to get down between 105 lbs. and 115 lbs. but not really sure if that is a realistic goal for me. anyone have any suggestions??

I know for me, I'm doing just as these other two smart ladies have said. Going to get to my goal weight, then reassess, cuz they (ghosts that make BMI tables and average height/weight charts) claim my weight range for my height is roughly 160-195. I am 289 and want to get to 200. When I get close to 200, I may reassess and be quite happy with that, or may want to get down into that "target" weight range, IDK at the moment.
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    I'm 10 years younger than you, also 5'1", and the goal range I'm really hoping for is between 105-108. I'm at about 111 right now (was over 116 at the beginning of the year) and still seeing some pudge on my tummy and arms, so I'm going to attempt to get to 105 (it might be a slow process since I like plenty of food and can't/don't want to diet very hard). But first I'm going to get to 108 and see how I feel, and reassess. I know that to look the way I'd like to (slim/fit but not skinny), I need to get below 110 pounds.

Set a first goal that will make you feel good and like you've accomplished something, get there, and have a look at yourself and think about if you want to lose more. Other people have had good suggestions about exactly where that first goal might be. :)
  • susie3g
    susie3g Posts: 267
    Options
    I think that would depend upon your body frame mostly. I am 39 years old, have a petite frame, 5'2", and weigh 184. I set my goal weight at 120. That's realistic to me. IF/WHEN I ever get there, I'll probably change that, but right now I think I would be content at 120.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    http://www.fat2fittools.com/tools/ibw/

I used this "ideal body weight" calculator from Fat2Fit Radio. Just enter your current weight, current BF% and goal BF%. Voila - your ideal body weight based on your desired BF%.
  • lacielaine
    Options
    I'm 5'1" also and 162 at my first weigh in. I'm setting smaller goals - like get to my pre-pregnancy weight (136), then work down from there. I'd love to get down to what I weighed at the start of college (112-115) but baby steps to get there. :) Best of luck to everyone in their weight loss endeavors!
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    An internet calculator says this

According to your height of 5' 1" your ideal healthy weight is 118 pounds. Your recommended weight range is between 105 and 132 pounds.

So, as has been said, it's an individual thing. Pick a number, that's not your final goal, and shoot for that. Then see where you're at, and set a new goal.
  • dq_14
    dq_14 Posts: 8
    Options
    Wow, a lot of 5' 1"s here, I don't feel lonely! :)

I'm 26 and I'm trying to go down to 108, then maybe down to 105. The 'normal' BMI range for women our height is anywhere between 98 and 132, but your goal depends mostly on your built. I was 108 just five years ago, but maybe because I hadn't exercised during my diet or maybe because that was just my body type, I didn't look that slim -- I still had a beer belly and my thighs didn't look right. The only time I really looked 'perfect' was when I was 92 lbs as an adolescent but of course I'll never try to go under 100 pounds.

Actually, anything under 130 will be a pretty good look. Under 120? Even better! Good luck (to all of us)!
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options

I'm 26 and I'm trying to go down to 108, then maybe down to 105. The 'normal' BMI range for women our height is anywhere between 98 and 132, but your goal depends mostly on your built. I was 108 just five years ago, but maybe because I hadn't exercised during my diet or maybe because that was just my body type, I didn't look that slim -- I still had a beer belly and my thighs didn't look right. The only time I really looked 'perfect' was when I was 92 lbs as an adolescent but of course I'll never try to go under 100 pounds.

Actually, anything under 130 will be a pretty good look. Under 120? Even better! Good luck (to all of us)!

dq_14, you are my MFP twin apparently! Same age, same height, exact same first goal and ultimate goal! :smile:
  • dq_14
    dq_14 Posts: 8
    Options

dq_14, you are my MFP twin apparently! Same age, same height, exact same first goal and ultimate goal! :smile:

OMG, I checked your bio and there's more! Grad school? Getting married in a year and a half? Wow!
    I hope I'll be successful in reaching my goal as you've been!