Anyone know how to lower triglycirides?

Options
Sooo...I got my blood tests back and I dropped my cholesterol about 28 points (although I still need to lower it more) and dropped my LDL around 26 points, BUT...my Triglycirides went up 32 points!! I'm so disappointed I didn't do better, but I also know that this summer I got off of logging everything and had a free for all. Basically, I've really got to stick to this RAIN or SHINE, SUMMER or not. I already use whole grains in my house at all times, so what else can I do to tackle this? Any suggestions or people who've had the same thing?

Replies

• lenmana
    lenmana Posts: 171
    Options
    Sooo...I got my blood tests back and I dropped my cholesterol about 28 points (although I still need to lower it more) and dropped my LDL around 26 points, BUT...my Triglycirides went up 32 points!! I'm so disappointed I didn't do better, but I also know that this summer I got off of logging everything and had a free for all. Basically, I've really got to stick to this RAIN or SHINE, SUMMER or not. I already use whole grains in my house at all times, so what else can I do to tackle this? Any suggestions or people who've had the same thing?
  • dmor
    dmor Posts: 33
    Options
    My understanding is that your triglycirides are directly ipmacted by the fat in your diet. My brother had high triglycirides and was counseled to lower his saturated fat intake along with the overall fat in his diet.
  • rpowersrph
    Options
    fish oil
    Dietary fish oil supplementation has been shown to improve hypertriglyceridemia in nondiabetic individuals, but in initial trials also had been associated with reduced glycemic control.6 Recently, a systematic review of patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus revealed that 3 to 18 g/day of fish oil supplementation lowered triglycerides and had no statistically significant effect on glycemic control, total cholesterol, or HDL cholesterol. However, it did raise LDL cholesterol by 0.21 mmol/L (especially in hypertriglyceridemic patients on doses greater than 2 g of EPA).
  • SkinnyMama
    SkinnyMama Posts: 146
    Options
    fish oil
    Dietary fish oil supplementation has been shown to improve hypertriglyceridemia in nondiabetic individuals, but in initial trials also had been associated with reduced glycemic control.6 Recently, a systematic review of patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus revealed that 3 to 18 g/day of fish oil supplementation lowered triglycerides and had no statistically significant effect on glycemic control, total cholesterol, or HDL cholesterol. However, it did raise LDL cholesterol by 0.21 mmol/L (especially in hypertriglyceridemic patients on doses greater than 2 g of EPA).
    Interesting info and way to go on reaching your goal!! :happy:
  • lenmana
    Options
    Thanks for the info all! I think I am definitely going to shell out the money and get a dietician. I will be sure to mention the fish oil thing, I've heard more people talking about that lately too and see how I can take out more sat. fats...work in progress! Best of luck all!
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options
    I just googled "How to lower triglycerides" and found this information. There is a lot of information out there, good luck with this and keep us updated!

Triglyceride levels usually increase as your weight increases. Excess calories, especially from sugar and alcohol are one of the causes of high triglycerides. Alcohol increases your liver's production of triglycerides and reduces the amount of fat cleared from your blood. Also, high fat foods increase your triglycerides. For example, red meat, dairy products.

Understand this. Triglycerides are, what we call "fat". When you grab a handful of tummy, love handles or some other fat storage, you are grabbing triglycerides. As such, whenever you have fat in your body, rest assured that it is one of the main causes of high triglycerides.

2. Age.

Triglycerides levels steadily increase as you grow older.

3. Medications.

Certain drugs, such as birth control pills, steroids, and diuretics (water pills) can cause triglyceride levels to rise.

4. Illness.

Medical conditions, that are associated with high triglyceride levels, i.e., diabetes, hypothyroidism, kidney disease, and liver disease.

5. Heredity.

Some forms of high triglycerides occur among members of the same families.

How to lower triglycerides?

Having said all this about the causes of high triglycerides, it wouldn't be fair if you do not have any idea on how to lower them.

As you might have noticed one of the main causes of high triglycerides which you can control, is high fat food. As such to lower triglycerides basically you need to watch the food you eat and certainly exercise.

Secondly, triglycerides are lowered automatically when you lower your cholesterol.

If you are following a cholesterol lowering plan, combining using a supplement, exercise and limiting high fat food, you will be loosing weight slowly. As you loose weight, the fat comes out of the fat cells and into the blood to be removed from the body. Anytime you are on a weight loss diet, expect higher than normal triglycerides.

Click here to learn about a cure for causes of high triglycerides, which can lower your triglycerides by at least 20 percent.

However, it is not every time that you'll have high triglycerides on the second profile. You might as well have lower than usual triglycerides at the end of four weeks. But you should definitely have a lower triglyceride level at the end of 3 months. As such, do not stop your cholesterol lowering regime without giving it at least 3 months. (If it took years to accumulate that high triglycerides level, it should take at leas few months to lower them down).
  • lenmana
    Options
    Princess Laundry thanks for the research....well, I just hope it isn't any of the illness stuff, but what's weird is its even higher now than when I started MFP back at the end of December...hopefully it is just a bump up from me using the website and watching what I'm eating like what was mentioned. I go back in January to have it checked again...I'll keep my fingers crossed that sticking to my exercise routine and MFP logging will help. Good info. BTW, You have some great pics! They look like album covers! Congrats on the lbs. lost....can't wait to get that far too. Take care.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I was told to lower my triglycerides I need to lay off the red meat (didn't eat much of that anyway) and CHEEEEEESE. *That* was my triglyceride killer. But, thanks to cheese being so high in calories, I've cut way back and it's helped immensely.
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Okay so I am another high cholesterol due to genes person....

But, I have seen people have amazing results with eating Cheerios for breakfast - odd I know but it works and also oatmeal. Give it a try before you take on the meds, just in case -- also sweets do it, if you're a sweet person your liver is probably producing more...

I don't have a research page to give you as I looked it up a while back... Good luck on lowering them and they do have statins that help if you wind up being like my :wink: which have other beneficial factors to them so.. not all bad news!!
  • dmflynt
    dmflynt Posts: 196
    Options
    the advice I got from my doctor:

1) eat less fat -- lower fat dairy products, trim all fat from your meat, no chicken skin, no fried foods, less red meat, etc

2) more whole grains, especially oats -- oatmeal or Cheerios for breakfast is a daily routine for me

3) eat more fish -- my doctor recommended fish 3 times a week, especially tuna and salmon (I haven't made this goal.....it's the toughest one for me to do!)

4) daily exercise (OK....maybe this one is the toughest!)