Is anyone scared of the festive season??

Options
Anyone getting worried about the upcoming festive season? - all of the nights out, drinks and food!

If so, how are you going to deal with it?

Replies

• NickyJones
    NickyJones Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Extremely. I'm going home to the USA for the first time in a year, that coupled with my mother's cooking and all the Christmas goodies (we make 12 kinds of cookies every year by tradition) - I'd be surprised if I don't eat everything in sight. :explode:

Planning on dealing with it: I know I will have some sweets, so I will limit myself to 1per day (maybe 2...). Also, working out with my new diet buddy: my mother <3
    No alcohol or eggnog >.<

Do people usually lose weight during the holiday season, maintain or gain?

Luck, nicjane!
  • vicidoesstuff
    vicidoesstuff Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Moderation?

I don't really see the festive season as a specific excuse/reason to go out, drink lots and eat loooads of food. My stomach doesn't momentarily decide to expand in order to get in the festive season. It's never ruined my good times, either, so I don't see what the issue is.
  • mzenzer
    mzenzer Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Moderation?

I don't really see the festive season as a specific excuse/reason to go out, drink lots and eat loooads of food. My stomach doesn't momentarily decide to expand in order to get in the festive season. It's never ruined my good times, either, so I don't see what the issue is.

Me neither. Between Thanksgiving and New Years what it boils down to really is 3 home cooked meals, and even if you splurge a little that's really nothing. The big thing to avoid really is all the crap people bring to the office during this time of year, but that's not too hard for me because I'm dodging doughnuts and cookies on a daily basis around the office.
  • Lindyteach
    Lindyteach Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    For me using mfp seems to be working successfully as a brake. When I am at various xmas functions so far I just think about how I have to record it and my sensible self says "no way" or "just a bite" or "a small piece" or "stop at one"!
  • Avalon203
    Options
    Im a bit worried!! Haha. I have a big family and over christmas we spend lots of time togetehr eating and drinking copious amounts. I also have a large group of very close friends scattered around the country, and over christmas we all come together, go on lots of nights out and go out for lots of meals. I obviously have issues with food otherwise I wouldnt have gotten so overweight in the first place- hence the worry! I have lots of good intentions and plans about how to avoid 'bad' stuff, and hopefully ill be able to stay strong. My plan is definately to maintain rather than lose.....am going to step up my gym visits (its only 2 minutes walk from my house so thats easy) since im off work its no hardship. Try and enjoy myself but eat and drink in moderation! Good luck to everyone!
  • pnieuw
    pnieuw Posts: 473
    Options
    The temptations are everywhere! My battle plan involves lots of water instead of soft drinks or too much alcohol, and nibble the veggies instead of the fat-laden treats. My biggest weakness is the cheese tray. I just set a limit of three pieces of cheese at a party.

From Dec 15 to Jan 1 - if I maintain my weight, I'm pretty happy. I just don't need the 5 lb blow-up because I couldn't push away from the table.

Be strong!
  • Sugar_Apple
    Sugar_Apple Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I am scared but I'm taking it step by step...yesterday we had a pre-christmas lunch I filled my plate with salad and veggies...I was so proud of my selection until I got home to log it in and realised that the turkey, ham, potato salad and drinks push my calorie intake over 500 for lunch....so next time I will be better prepared
  • itsbella
    itsbella Posts: 1,101
    Options
    I have found that if I look up the particular food's caloric information PRIOR to eating it....I usually do not or I have a bite of it. I'm not worried at all if I gain or lose. I'm planning on having a FANTASTIC time this season! Life is too short to worry about gaining a pound or two while enjoying myself with my loved ones I see once a year or once every few years!!

KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!! Empower your SELF with information about the foods you want and the worries will subside!! Remember, we are what we eat.

Happy Holidays and don't forget to have a wonderful time!
  • mccorml
    mccorml Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Anyone getting worried about the upcoming festive season? - all of the nights out, drinks and food!

If so, how are you going to deal with it?

im more scared about going home my dad fries everything i havent eaten over 1300 calories in a week he makes like 1300 calorie meals this could be bad im gonna need to shop when i get there :sad: :sick: :embarassed:
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    not with food. the weather bugs me a little. it can get very cold and wet with occasional snow here. I have bad balance so I can see myself slipping on the snow/ice when I go out on walks and jogs
  • minni2906
    Options
    The temptations are everywhere! My battle plan involves lots of water instead of soft drinks or too much alcohol, and nibble the veggies instead of the fat-laden treats. My biggest weakness is the cheese tray. I just set a limit of three pieces of cheese at a party.

From Dec 15 to Jan 1 - if I maintain my weight, I'm pretty happy. I just don't need the 5 lb blow-up because I couldn't push away from the table.

Be strong!

I'm with you. If I can maintain my weight into the new year, I'm happy. This was the season during which I gained so much weight last year. I don't want to relive that!
  • howardrw
    howardrw Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am treating the hoiidays just like my vacation days that I took during the Summer. I ate what I wanted to, but I walked every morning for about an hour or more. If I really ate a lot, I just did a lillte more extra walking or sometimes jogging.

When I got back from my vacation ( pretty much the whole month of July ), I wasn't sure how many pounds I may have picked up.
    To my surprise I really didn't gain a pound. I actually lose maybe a pound or half a pound.

What I did was to make sure that I workout everyday I was on vacation. This helped to offset all of the food that I was eating.

Now everyone's body is difference, but the best advice I can give everyone is, make sure that if you are going to be eating a lot try and workout as much as possible to offset all of the calories that you are intaking.

I hope this helps......
  • cjusticeg
    cjusticeg Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    A little, pumpkin pie will be my weakness along with gravy lol. Just have to have small servings
  • sharmanandapollo
    Options
    Try not to get too worried about it, even at worse you put on a couple of lbs they will soon come off again.

You should concentrate on enjoying yourself, and personally on Christmas day, I am not planning on analysing every bite. Of course, I will be sensible, but I think dieting on Christmas day is a bit hardcore!!
  • kpnuts23
    kpnuts23 Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Yes a little, i have been doing well so far to stick with my plan... I made a pact with my freind at home to not have any chocolate or biscuits on the lead up to christmas... so far so good.. i havent had any... 10weeks into it now and not touched one at all!! havent even had my advent calendar choccies...

Recently at work, however, collegues have started brining in mince pies and chocolates for everyone to have and they are just opposite my desk.. this is hard for me...

Christmas day is usually fine for me though.. the only thing that will up my cals a lot is the alcohol... i wont be drinking much xmas day tho.. its boxing day thats going to be the big celebration day.. most of the food will be cold meats and salad.. few mini quiches, crisps and puds thrown in too... all about portion control tho.. cant eat as much as i once did.. stomach has shrunk a lot so i get full easially!

xxx
  • sallyLunn
    Options
    I'm not really worried even though my Dad if frying the turkey this year. The thing is, when I am used to eating healthy, it doesn't take much holiday type food to make me feel uncomfortably full so I just stop eating.
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Nope! We have no family around us, so we're good with not having to deal with family inviting us over to eat and such. We are just here by ourselves and the Marine Corps. LOL so we tend to just stay at home with our daughter. Everything I make is what I choose to make and I still count my calories.
  • pennfields
    Options
    I am just concentrating on staying the same and not gaining, until new year, this week alone i have been to 3 christmas meals with work, friends and school mums, which of course include drinks.
    Just trying to make a sensible choice whilst i am out will help, but cant be always done!!!
    This time of year is fabulous as it is so social but with all of the other social events planned, i am going to enjoy the festivities and get straight back to my regime, jan 7th after i get back from holiday in florida, so looking forward to some weather over-12.
    Good luck to others sticking to it.
  • turboandrea
    Options
    The first thing to do is DON'T PANIC! :)

The holidays are only once a year. Just work hard in the gym and eating healthy around the holiday treats. I've been working on this philosophy since November and have indulged in daily Hershey kisses, Turkey dinners, baked goods, etc. I've also lost 4 pounds. The key is to not deprive yourself, but just limit yourself. I've found now that I'm less likely to want more than half a doughnut if I cut only half, take it to my desk, and eat it slowly. Also try and account for everything in your food log. After a while it encourages you to want to be honest about everything and self-control portions.

The holidays are supposed to be fun so don't let fitness freak you out about them, you know? :) Enjoy but just be willing to accept the consequences of any food binges.
  • SkierElle
    Options
    My philosophy is that about Christmas is about so much more than food (especially sweets!! why did that start?!) and I focus my energy into all the other joys of the holiday. Now I actually enjoy making food more than I like eating it. my family has a lot of Scandinavian traditions around Christmas that don't involve food, and I keep myself busy entertaining my younger cousins, decorating, wrapping presents, delivering presents, etc!!

My plan is to ONLY have a dessert on Christmas Eve and day. I can usually avoid things pretty easy if they dont have sugar, so I am not really worried about anything else. I may even attempt to make some sort of dessert without sugar (or artificial sugar). It could be a fun experiment!