Not enough calories

Options
Hey guys!

So I'm 6'2.... 397 lbs (lost 6 in the last week) with a goal weight of 200-225 in the next year...

Well my doctor gave me a calorie mark of 2700, but the last couple of days I'm not hungry enough to eat that much and I don't even know why.... but I barely hit 1500..... Is that bad? If I don't hit my mark will I still lose the weight?

Replies

• fittestpal
    fittestpal Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    If you only eat that much and feel full you'll be fine! I wouldn't worry! Consider yourself lucky I bet most people losing weight wish they could get full on 15k
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Yes, but it will be coming as much from your muscle as it will from fat, which you don't really want.
    I would try to get closer to the goal given to you, as a man of your height and weight should definitely be eating more than 1500. I know women of 5'2 losing on more than 1500 on here. Add in some healthy, calorie dense foods like avocado, full fat dairy, nuts, seeds, nut butters or make some smoothies to bring up those calories. There is always a way and it will be better for you in the longterm. Eating so low at the beginning of your weight loss, will leave nowhere for you to go when your weight goes down and you need to drop your calories further to continue losing.
  • hopeless_rhomantic
    hopeless_rhomantic Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    @Gray.... I'm a girl
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    @Gray.... I'm a girl

Sorry, I did not look closely at your photo. You are tall!
    Still, the same thing applies. For someone your height and weight, 1500 total calories, really is not enough.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    For someone your size, 1500 isn't really enough calories to get enough vitamins, etc. through your food intake. Personally, I would've recommended a minimum of 2900, but if your doc thinks 2700 I guess that's close enough.

The occasional low day isn't going to kill you, but you don't want to make a habit out of it.
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    A quick drop for a few weeks 5-8 lbs or so just as a guess is very typical when you first start your weight loss journey - much of this is "water weight" this is not a bad thing it is quite normal. Be aware of continuous rapid weight loss - please consider a weight loss target no more than 4.0 - 4.5lbs a week on average (2lbs a week is considered by most as a good rate). There is always a chance of excess skin but this is increased where weight loss is too rapid.

MFP is a great resource to track that you are eating a balanced diet - now make sure your estimates of 1,500 Cal is accurate - it i quite possible that you are eating more than you think! Definitively invest in a set of scales you may be under estimating your intake. Otherwise 1,500 Cal is not "starving" yourself in my opinion.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Quit eating only low cal, diet food.
    Really, cover a piece of celery with peanut butter, use real ranch dressing, drink a non-diet soda, eat a big old biscuit smothered in butter, have some beer cheese soup, drink a couple of cocktails, or a large mocha made with whole milk and whipped cream at Starbucks...oh and one of those 400 cal cookies they have.
    Suddenly it is not hard at all to hit 2700 cals.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!

So I'm 6'2.... 397 lbs (lost 6 in the last week) with a goal weight of 200-225 in the next year...

Well my doctor gave me a calorie mark of 2700, but the last couple of days I'm not hungry enough to eat that much and I don't even know why.... but I barely hit 1500..... Is that bad? If I don't hit my mark will I still lose the weight?

Yes, you will still lose weight. With the amount you have to lose, there is no issue at all eating under your calorie goal.

Good luck!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Yes you will still lose. If you're getting all your needed nutrition in I'd say you're fine. Now me, I'd be eating all the calories because that's how I roll, but you certainly aren't going to die if you aren't.

Just make sure you're getting your essential fat and protein and your vitamins and minerals and keep doing you. Good luck.