Gaining weight while eating under calorie goal

Options
1235»

Replies

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Having seen the Op's responses to other posts, talking to a brick wall comes to mind.
    I am glad others have more patience than I do.
    I am surprised that a nurse would not have the common sense to realise she is eating far too little for her needs. It is actually quite scary.

I'm a brick wall but then you insult me? I'm sorry you feel that way. But insulting me isn't productive. I can't control what people post but I've at least tried to be polite. Hopefully you're not this rude to everyone you meet.

I do not see it as insulting. I have read through endless posts where people have told you that you are not eating enough and are not getting enough nutrients and your responses have shown little to no indication of being willing to listen to what those people, that took time to help, said. To me, that, if anything, is rude. And an insult to the time they took to explain things to you. And as a nurse, I think you should know better. Sorry, but that is my view. We have a lot of younger women on here, recovering from EDs, or who are wanting to lose weight. It does not set a very good example when a nurse is thinking netting sub 1200 calories a day is perfectly acceptable.

I've thanked multiple people on multiple posts on here for their input. But to you, I'm to blame for people with EDs who are having issues? How is that even possible?? I think you're projecting here. You posting on here with nothing but negativity and trying to stir the pot smacks of nothing but being a troll. If you have anything constructive to say other than I apparently suck, I'm more than happy to hear it. But telling me I'm a horrible person/nurse who is ruining young womens lives by eating approx 1200 calories a day is not appropriate or constructive. And considering there are doctor supervised liquid diets of 800 calories, I think my paleo 1200 is a lot healthier than those or people eating 1500 calories of junk. I've listened to what everyone has said and looked into what they're saying. Just because I don't immediately believe a stranger on the internet doesn't mean I was being rude.

I always find the word troll rather silly. I never understood it's use, especially when used on someone who is a longterm member and has a good post count under their belt. You only need to go through my post history to see I am not. apart from the fact, staying on a fitness and weightloss forum just to annoy people would seem somewhat of a waste of time, which is already short enough given the limited human lifespan, along with having COPD, lol

I simply found it frustrating that in spite of quite a few people saying you needed to eat more, you were not listening. You do not suck, and that is not what I intended you to think at all. I do not think anyone doing the sort of job you do, could be seen as sucky. But I do honestly think, especially with the job you have, that you need to increase your food intake and follow the advice Heybales has given, who incidentally, gave me advice over a year ago.

Your Paleo 1200 is definitely healthier than 1500 of junk. But similarly, you could be eating 1400-1500 calories of Paleo and still be losing weight, and giving your body more of the stuff it needs. Since everyone seems to have different rules as to how strict they are when following Paleo. there would be no purpose to my advising on food, although I am aware of Paleo as I researched it myself last year. I decided against it, as I do quite well with my dairy and because something like that, as a former anorexic would probably be too restrictive for me.

Anyway, good luck, whatever you decide to do, and apologies if I came across as rude, snappy, abrasive, mean or trollish. My friends on here know the heart that lays behind my words when I get frustrated. They certainly do not come from malice.

Thank you for that, this post is a completely different tone than your others. As a nurse, telling me I'm responsible for other peoples ED pissed me off to no end. As for me not listening to people about the calories, there's a big difference between taking in others information and making my informed decision vs just blindly listening and accepting a strangers advice on the internet. There is so much conflicting information on the internet about weightloss it's hard to know who to listen to. And it seems counter intuitive to eat more to lose weight, especially since everything I have read states that the "starvation mode" is a complete myth along with the whole eating your calories. I don't tend to just accept what I hear at face value, so I've taken in everything people are saying and will look into eating more calories on days I work, but I don't know that it will actually do anything other than slow down my loss. Thank you for your input.

You are certainly not to blame for other peoples EDs. I just tend to worry about the influence so many daily posts of people eating below their needs on here, on those here trying to recover, but yes, it was wrong of me to pin that on you, or to include that, and I apologise. I see both sides, I guess, in that sense.

You can only try and see what happens. I mean, I am 138Ibs, I am not especially active outside of my workouts, but I lose weight on 1500-1600 calories NET a day. Mostly healthy foods. Yes, this former 72Ib anorexic now eats in excess of 2000 calories a day, sometimes 2500, lol. I am mostly maintaining now anyway, but that is what I lose on. I do not know how old you are. I am 38, so no spring chicken, that is for sure. I have met so many on this site, many being on my friends list, who used to eat at the 1200-1300 range, and would never go back there because they found they felt so much better, and lost weight just as well once their body had adjusted, on a higher range. It is worth giving it a go, and if after a few weeks, you are not losing (you need to give a little time for your body to adjust to the higher calorie intake), then you can change back or drop calories a bit again.
  • sue_langley
    sue_langley Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I use a vegan protein called Vega Sport and I use water not dairy.
  • mmcdonald700
    mmcdonald700 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    You got some good advice on here, not really gonna reiterate. Sounds like you're eating at a deficit so the weight will come off it's likely just water retention. If you are truly being honest with yourself then there's no way you could be gaining weight because you're in a caloric deficit.

That being said, people have commented on your low calorie intake (I think you closed your diary.. so I can't see it) - someone recommended shakes and you said no because you're eating paleo. Forgive me for not being totally sure of the "rules" of paleo (from what I've heard it's no processed food, grains or dairy I think...) but I have a protein shake almost every morning and often containing no dairy. Not sure if protein powder follows the rules but that, with a little fruit for some carbs, maybe a tsp of flax oil for some fat and a bit of liquid of your choice (water, almond milk, coconut milk) goes a long way in providing energy on the go. Super easy to sip when you have a second and take with you in a to-go cup. You keep mentioning eating jerky which makes me think of beef jerky which is quite a processed meat so... I can't foresee you having an issue with protein powder and almond milk but not sure because again, like I said, not sure of the dietary "rules" for paleo. A 200-300 calorie protein shake could help you meet your nutritional and caloric goals for the day easily and would fit with your lifestyle more than likely so it's something to consider I think.
  • lovelayla
    lovelayla Posts: 123
    Options
    Seems like you are doing everything right,just have patience.The only thing I would do differently is to weigh in at the same time,same circumstances...not whenever you wake up.I used to work those 12 hour shifts,so I understand.How often are you weighing? I try to weigh once a week...its when I peek during the week that I get frustrated.Be Patient and keep up then good job.#NursesRock.
  • racinsnake
    racinsnake Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I haven't read all the reply's here. (There are a lot!) I think that you may be like myself- Very calorie sensitive.. If I eat just over or just under my calorie count I gain weight.. I was very frustrated before when I had lost a lot of weight and still had a bit to go to goal and then it stopped and I started to gain. You might feel like you are fine, not light headed or anything with what you are currently eating but if your body doesn't feel its getting enough calories then you are in trouble as it goes into holding onto fat. If I were you I would try eating the exact amount of calories recommended for each day. I was following all my food on MFP and gaining weight until last week I got less lax about eating just a tiny bit under or over my calories and ... I've started to lose weight again. All the best!
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Just listen to Heybales. I have been on mfp for about 2 years and he has never steered anyone wrong that I am aware of, he knows his stuff...

I came back to this thread just to say this, as well. Heybales has a very analytical mind and he knows his numbers. Without him I would still be eating 1200 or less every day. I'm 55, been here since April 2012 (new account) and I've lost a little over 100 pounds eating between 1600 - 1700 cals. You are right - it does feel wrong to think that eating more will work. But, from my experience - I always thought you really had to starve to lose weight. I had no idea how many calories it took my body just to function daily in a strong way.

So, my final advice to you is to send bales a FRequest and start using his spreadsheet/knowledge. You will not regret it one bit. And in a year? You'll be on MFP - probably at your goal weight - trying to help someone else be successful. Because believe it or not - that's what most of the people on this thread were doing.

Have a great Monday. :flowerforyou:
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Your ticker says , you have lost 31 lb. Since you have started, have you ever went to the set your goals again? MFP gave you the calorie intake based on your current weight, age, life activity.
    Since your weight have changed 30 lb, it change things a bit. Go to your goals , and set it again. even if you do not change anything, it will readjust the calories because of the weight loss already happened.

Also a comment on your paleo lifestyle. Your diary is closed now, so I do not know if you are following a very low carb version of paleo or not. If you are doing low carb, you muscle glycogen stores are very low usually. A big carb loaded cheat meal fill it up. Since water binds to those glycogen, it makes you retain water like crazy. 3 lb water gain is not that unusual if this is the case.

I tried low carb for a while, and eating a carb load meal once in a while totally mess thing up. I find the water weight fluctuation is insane. 3 day carb loading can make me gain like 5 lb easily.
    If this 3 lb gain is this week occurrence with the cheat meal a few days ago, I wouldn't worry about it. It is not fat gain, it is water retention. You urinate like crazy right now, because your body is getting rid of that water gain. I am sure next week weight in, it will be gone.
  • CampbellTony
    CampbellTony Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Heres an idea and meant in the kindest way. If everyone on here that has offered calorie intake advice doesn't match with what you've read on the internet, why not ask one of the nutritionists at your work? Perhaps you'd trust the advice of a professional? There may be an underlying medical reason that your body is vastly different from everyone else and wont lose weight on a deficit? They might be able to shed some light on your issue.
    Me? If you are 101% sure that your logging is correct, and that in your doubtless medical experience, your intake is fine for someone of your age, weight, height and activity level, keep doing it. Honestly, if you are accurate, the weight will come off. HTH :smile: