Lost weight, but want to gain muscle and not get fat again

Options
Hello all,

So I recently shed about 70lbs all together but my ultimate goal is get well muscular (well some what at least). I go to the gym 4-6 times a week. I'm easing back on cardio and focusing more on lifting now. Right now I have my setting on maintain weight. So I just a had a few questions...if any one has had this experience or if they have a answer..

1. If I want to become more muscular should I put my setting on gain?

2. What should my ratios be? In my chart right now its asking for 50% Carbs, 30% Fat, and 20%. But Ive heard you need to talk about 1-2 grams of protein per pound in order gain. Does anyone have a different ratio?

3 Does anyone have a diet plan to gain cleanly? ( no dirty bulking)

4. I'm pretty active at my job so my maintain says to take in roughly 3000 calories per day...but that seems kinda high to me Ive been falling short by about 200-1200 per day...I just feel kinda guilty after losing that weight to eat that much...does anyone have any advice on this one...kind contradicts the first 2 questions but just curious.

So to summarize I want to gain a good amount muscle (which I know means gaining weight), but I don't want to become that overweight puddgy guy anymore. So if anyones got any advice thanks.

Replies

• acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I am sort of going through the same thing, though I am female. MFP is not a very body building oriented site, so you may have to go elsewhere to research. I have found good advice here: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/ Just like MFP, take everything with a grain of salt. There is good advice and there is bad advice. You will have to do your own sorting to find what works best for you.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    1) If you are new to lifting, maintain first and start a beginner friendly strength training program. You can start bulking/cutting when you run out of all of your newbie gains.

2) Don't think of it in terms of percentages, think in terms of amounts and set your percentages to fit that. General consensus is 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass as a minimum, 0.35g of fat per lb of total body weight as a minimum, and then add extra protein/carbs/fats to fit as you like for satiety, what you like, and performance.

3) Eat to fit your macros and don't worry about dirty or clean foods. There is no clean and dirty, only food. If you are fitting your macros and fiber goals, you are going to be eating nutritious foods for the most part, and there is nothing wrong with some ice cream, bacon, or pop tarts in your diet. (See IIFYM) Some of the most successful, strongest, ripped people on here do just that.

4) 3000 is just an estimate, but if you are an active 20 something dude, probably not far off the mark. Look at what your weight is doing over the long term and increase/decrease your calories as needed. It's a mental game to deal with being afraid of gaining after losing for a while. I'm 33, 170 lbs, sit at a desk all day, and I'm maintaining on an average of 2500 calories a day once I factor in my exercise.
  • ATGsquats
    ATGsquats Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I do anywhere from 1-1.5g protein per body weight, .35-.45 of body weight for fats, and put the rest of calories to carbs, easy as that.
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I do anywhere from 1-1.5g protein per body weight, .35-.45 of body weight for fats, and put the rest of calories to carbs, easy as that.

You don't need that much protein. .8g will see the same gains as 1.5g or 1g. Carbs will help you with energy and lifting more heavier weights = gains and PRs.
    Just continue to eat healthy and do a starters program (usually 3 full body circuit per week). Then move onto upper/lower splits (4 workouts total a week) then split off into muscle group specific if you want to take it further. I do suggest cardio, whatever you find enjoyable :) cardio shouldn't be punishment.
  • TonyStark30
    TonyStark30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I would stick to the protein you said and clean bulking, not because you need to, but as you are scared of going too far with the weight gain. Yes you can just eat what ever as long as its a surplus but eating bad food when you have food issues can lead to bingeing and putting on too much fat as the calories go way up.

Just Log properly and lift Heavily, get a weight lifting programme to maximise the muscle gain, do it until you get as fat as you DON'T want to look, then go back to a weight loss programme.

I'm currently on the way back down after bulking.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    1) A calorie surplus is by far the most efficient way to gain muscle, even when you take into account cutting time due to fat gain.

2) Ratios aren't really good for bulking. In general 1g/lb BW for protein, and try to eat higher carb.

3) The size of your surplus and training dictates how clean or dirty your gaining is. Beginners GROSSLY overestimate the rate of fat gain when bulking. 1-2 lb/mo is pretty much imperceptible.

4) How much you need to eat depends on how big you are and how active you are. You can almost be assured that you will underestimate how many calories it takes to gain, perhaps by a wide margin. I'm 6'1" 200 lb, and need to take in close to 4000 cal/day to gain.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    This is exactly what I do also. As far as "clean" or "dirty" eat what you want that fits your macros.
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    If you're new to lifting' you'll be able to gain steadily for around the first year without having to eat a great surplus. Use it and enjoy it. Strong lifts 5*5 is a decent starter program to work with.

After that, the best way to gain will be to eat a moderate surplus of around 500 per day. I'm afraid you just have to accept that you'll gain some fat along with the muscle, but you can keep an eye on it and cut it back.

3000 doesn't seem overly excessive depending on your age and activity level. On full bulk I get up to about 4000 -4500. I've been training bodybuilding style about 3 years and done about 5 or 6 bulk/cut cycles.

Jay
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry so much about that fat #.

If you are maintaining or gaining, unless you are eating a freaky low fat diet, you should be well over that minimum #.