New at running.

Options
I need some help with were to start!! Today I ran 4.1 km in 45 minutes which is slow I know. The calories I burnt were on par with walking which I didnt like very much. but a heap more sweat !!! My goal is 10km in 1 hour 15mins. by August.. Please help.

Replies

• middleton110
    middleton110 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it. 12 minute mile by August is totally doable and it sounds like you're not afraid to push yourself. I prefer interval training personally, because it helps to keep things interesting. The MapMyWalk/MapMyRun app could be good for you too if you have a smart phone because it'll report your time and average speed every mile.
  • InFitRealm
    InFitRealm Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You may also find some running programs that may help you at the beginning to plan you exercise. E.g. 10 k program or c25k program. They are either focused on continuous running for some time or the amount of kilometers run, or both. The tracking depends on you.
    You can also find several apps that will help you with this both on android or for iPhone. However I think they mostly focus on continuous running. Tracking the distance will be still on you.
  • Tillyecl1
    Tillyecl1 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Hi, Welcome to running!! And also congratulations on starting out because that is always the worst bit. The first time I ran I couldn't make it to the end of the road (~100m) let alone 4.1km! My first suggestion would be (if you haven't already) get some proper running shoes because they will provide more support than normal trainers and help protect you from injury. The second thing is consistency. With running the best thing is to run consistently say 3 times a week every week. If you are erratic in your training it really throws you off (speaking from experience!) and even a little break (e.g 2 weeks) can set you back quite a lot. Maybe try getting a couch to 10km training plan, there are a few free ones if you Google it. I guess, if you know exactly how far you went, you already have an activity tracker of some description, I use Endomondo but they are all really good for seeing small improvements in your times which is encouraging when you are finding it hard to see the overall improvement.
    My last little bit of advice is this: don't give up! Running is hard work and sometimes it can be really hard to motivate yourself but keep going and I promise you will reach your goal.
    Good luck and keep smiling :-)
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I suggest Couch 2 5k as well. I am working my way through it to get back into my pre-pregnancy running condition.
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    get good running shoes..skip the C25k and look for a C210K type app.

12 min Mile is reachable by Aug but while your training resist the urge to push every run to beat the clock. Most of your runs need to be slow and easy, peppered with quicker runs.

Something that worked for me as well...if you havnt gone the 10 k distance: do your regular interval training for however long and then work on walking the rest of the distance. That way the hurdle of not having been that far will be removed and you can concentrate on running the distance well.

if you have the patience and commitment, youll get there and it will surprise you how quick you will..but if you try and do to much youll be injured.
  • ChocFiend
    ChocFiend Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I did my first run tonight 1.34 mile in 13 mins, is that any good? I'm skipping 5k going straight to 10k and its in 12 weeks and 1 day. I'm 27 with a bmi of about 27. What time should I be aiming for?
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,662 Member
    Options
    got a 5k spartan race, which i guess isn't really a 5k

ran a mile yesterday to start getting ready. i was pretty tanked at the end but i could have kept going, theres a decent hill in there too.

whats a good 5k time if you can do a mile in 9.5 min?