Taking a day off of working out?

Options
What does everyone think about taking a rest day after working out for 21 straight? Still going to eat right but just rest the body one day. Can it help if your weight loss might have stalled? I had been losing 2+ pounds per week for the first 2 months of the year and nothing in the past 8 days. My weight is fluctuating by a pound or two, but seems to be stuck. Need help to break what looks like it could be a plateau!

Replies

• Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Well YES, you should most definitely take a rest day. But more importantly, why are you working out for so many days straight? What sort of activities are you doing? Your body needs time to rest and recover. You might want to consider taking one day off per week, at the very least.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    2 pounds a week with only 30 pounds left to lose may be a little aggressive. Maybe drop your goal loss per week back to 1 or 1.5 pounds.

As far as a rest day? It would depend on what you do working out. I lift weights and run and I take one complete rest day per week. Think about this. Eating at a deficit is a stress on the body. Exercise is a stress on the body. Stress can hamper weight loss.

ETA: 8 days is NOT a plateau.
  • fjcone
    fjcone Posts: 19
    Options
    Yesterday was my first day off in a month. I felt so great this morning I think I may take a day every week.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    depending on what sort of exercise you do, you should be having a rest day once a week!
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    How dare you....
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I rest more days than I work out. I am happy with my results. I tend to work smarter and not harder.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    I take complete weeks off from working out.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options

Also an excellent idea.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    You worked out for 21 days every day without a rest..............OMG ......... WHY?

Yes rest your body - Your body needs it! Rest the muscles, relax, enjoy not working out/going to the gym.

I couldn't imagine doing 7 days a week every week, I would be so tired, and would spend more hours in the gym than I do watching tv hahhaha!!
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I take every Sunday off and have at least one day during the week that I call a "light day"...maybe just taking a long walk. I also listen to my body...if I am really tired...then I give it a break by maybe just doing stretches one day.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    What does everyone think about taking a rest day after working out for 21 straight? Still going to eat right but just rest the body one day. Can it help if your weight loss might have stalled? I had been losing 2+ pounds per week for the first 2 months of the year and nothing in the past 8 days. My weight is fluctuating by a pound or two, but seems to be stuck. Need help to break what looks like it could be a plateau!

On the being stuck issue...

When I have not lost anything in 2 or 3 weeks and I know that my tracking is correct I will take a day and change up my exercise...maybe try something new...do some crazy dance video...just something different. It will usually get my weight loss started again.

On Saturdays I like to experiment with new ways to do things...helps to take out the boredom. Some how I managed to find muscles that have yet to be worked...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I get 2-3 weeks stalls every month... totally normal.
  • ronitperman
    Options
    It is a good idea to take rest from the busy schedule. your body need rest and it gives you freshness. From the next day you will able to follow your routine workout with more energy.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Eight days is not a plateau. Eight days could be water, your body adjusting to a new level of exercise, hormones...

Can't speak for the workouts with any authority, but even the people I know who are training for marathons take days off so it probably won't hurt you.
  • aliceclutz90
    aliceclutz90 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I agree with the "listen to you body" idea. If you have loads of energy and feel that you want to work out even if you have done so for several days previously then I don't say why not. I really think your body will tell you if you need to take a day off and if so that's absolutely fine too.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes take a day off.
  • karenh
    karenh Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of you. You are all correct that rest days are important and can help the body. My workouts are cardio only, cardio with strength training, or walking on a treadmill. All of my workouts are between 30 and 60 minutes in length. I do have lighter workout days which are usually the days I walk on the treadmill. I will plan more rest days. Like today! I think I fear a plateau because of what it might do to my motivation to keep going more than the actual lack of weight loss. I also try to switch up my calorie intake sometimes and increase or decrease my carb consumption a little to keep my body from getting stuck. I have a week every month that nothing changes on the scale due to hormones anyway...I have noticed a definite pattern not just over the past couple of months but unfortunately I have yo yo dieted the same 20-30 lbs for several years. This time I'm not quitting and I'm going to be patient!
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    I take a day off every week. Rest days are very important, giving chance for your muscles to rebuild and become stronger.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Me too! Always at least one day off per week, and a full week of rest every 8-12 weeks or so. Does a body good!
  • Teenie71
    Teenie71 Posts: 52
    Options
    I take 2 days off every week, Thursday and Saturday. If i didnt i would probably burn out and not enjoy working out as much as i do. I think my body likes the rest as well.