Activity Tracker - Do I Need One??

Options
Hi all, I've been doing all kinds of research on Activity Trackers, but I question I most am wondering about is the one I haven't been able to find an answer to. Why do I need one?

I'm back on the wagon (again) about tracking calories on MFP, and I do enter the exercise on here also....I'm just not sure if what I'm entering is correct for me. Is this where the Activity Tracker comes in? The more I look, the more confused I get. My selections are somewhat limited, because, if I get one, it's got to be water usable....I do water aerobics 2-3 times per week. I just don't want to get one because they're pretty cool (which they are!)....I want to get one and really be able to use it to help me FINALLY lose this weight I've been wanting to lose. I've pretty much got it narrowed down to FitBit Flex, Garmin Vivofit or the Polar Loop...again, IF I decide this would be a tool to help me with my ultimate goals.

Any advice?

Thanks!:smile:

Replies

• BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    I don't think they're necessary. I had a body bugg a long time ago.

After several weeks of logging food accurately and exercising regularly, you will be able to use your actual data to figure out how many calories to eat. That's working well for me. And the money that I saved can go towards workout equipment. :drinker:

This post spells out how to use your actual data to set your calorie goal:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets
  • Coltsatc
    Coltsatc Posts: 36
    Options
    I only have the fitbit on my Iphone 5S because it was free(You have to have the 5S to use the app). So it is only useful when I have the phone in my pocket (which is 95% of the time). For me, it's helped me get off my butt and just move around more when I see a low step count throughout the day. Just a little added motivation if nothing else.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    short answer- no. you don't.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by eating at a deficit. Period.

Activity trackers (I have a Fitbit Flex & Jawbone UP) measure your TDEE. Like anything else they're just estimates, but they're way more accurate than MFP, exercise equipment, or online calculators.

They also motivate one to move more. I've configured my Jawbone to vibrate if I'm inactive for too long. Flex vibrates when you reach your step or calorie goal. If I get home and see I'm thisclose to goal, I walk around the block.
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Do you NEED one? No. Is it helpful? Yes.

That being said, I have the Fitbit one and absolutely love it. It keeps me motivated to keep moving. I do not go to bed, most nights ;) until my calorie burn goal is met. The majority of these activity trackers are good for step based activities unless you have a heart rate monitor. However there is a new one coming out that is made specifically for swimming and other activities. It is decently priced for what it says it can do.

http://preorder.moov.cc/
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I don't think they're necessary. I had a body bugg a long time ago.

After several weeks of logging food accurately and exercising regularly, you will be able to use your actual data to figure out how many calories to eat. That's working well for me. And the money that I saved can go towards workout equipment. :drinker:

This post spells out how to use your actual data to set your calorie goal:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

This.

I've never gotten one. I think they're nifty gadgets and I lot of people love theirs. But it's not necessary.
  • Tee_geee
    Tee_geee Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    you don't NEED one but I love having one! I have the polar f4 and I love everything about it. I think its very accurate! it comes with a chest strap that monitors your heart rate, enabling it to tell you how many calories you've burned. I think I Iike it so much because it makes me work harder! Ill look at see that my heart rate is only 100 so I'll run faster to see it increase! Ill also look at my calories burned and see that I've only burned 250 so ill go longer in order to burn 300!!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    The majority of these activity trackers are good for step based activities unless you have a heart rate monitor.
    Activity trackers track step based activity. Non-step workouts can be logged either in the tracker or in MFP.

I find both Fitbit's & UP's burns to be way more accurate than MFP's one-size-fits-all guesstimates.
  • CaitlinW19
    CaitlinW19 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I agree, you don't need one, but I have one and love it. I wanted one because I get most of my exercise from walking and aimed for 10,000 steps a day, but I wasn't sure how that affected my calorie burn for the day in relation to what MFP sets for me. I would only log my significant walk each day with my dog that was 30 minutes at about 4 mph. I have had a fitbit force now for several weeks for more accuracy and have found what I was already doing was pretty close, though it really helps on days when I'm on my feet more than usual but not "exercising", like going shopping or something because it's hard to know how to log that. I do find the fitbit more motivating than my old pedometer.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I have had the Fitbit One and a Polar FT4 HRM and I discovered that the HRM is far more useful.

One thing I noticed is that MFP overestimates the calorie burns, grossly overestimates them. I swim most days, and MFP tried to make out I had 1000 calories + for an hour in the pool, whereas the HRM gave me a reading of between 600-650 for an hour. If you're one of the people who likes to eat their exercise calories back, as I do, a HRM becomes essential, to ensure you're not eating into your deficit.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    You don't need one, but I love my BodyMedia FIT.
  • craigspud101
    craigspud101 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    To echo what everyone else has said, no, you don't 'need' one. I have one (a fitbit flex) and I find it really useful in allowing me to monitor my progression and keep me honest about what I'm actually doing. Same as I have an HRM which I also don't 'need' but it's visibly shown me how my running exercise has improved over the 8 weeks I've been monitoring it from lots of anaerobic to aerobic even whilst increasing the time that I'm exercising.
  • monkeywizard
    monkeywizard Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Need? no, but I have a Polar FT4 (which I beleive is ok to wear while swimming).
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I have had the Fitbit One and a Polar FT4 HRM and I discovered that the HRM is far more useful.

One thing I noticed is that MFP overestimates the calorie burns, grossly overestimates them. I swim most days, and MFP tried to make out I had 1000 calories + for an hour in the pool, whereas the HRM gave me a reading of between 600-650 for an hour. If you're one of the people who likes to eat their exercise calories back, as I do, a HRM becomes essential, to ensure you're not eating into your deficit.

I have the Fitbit one but I really want a Polar FT4. Can you wear it swimming? I didn't think you could. And how accurate is it compared to the fitbit?
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else... you don't "need" one, but it's a great motivational tool.

I use the Fitbit One to motivate me to get my daily step goal and I use a Polar HRM when I do any workout or running so I have a more accurate calorie burn. The Fitbit One isn't waterproof (though I believe the Flex is) and the Polar HRM I have can be used for swimming (though my friends that have the same model had issues after awhile).
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options

I have the Fitbit one but I really want a Polar FT4. Can you wear it swimming? I didn't think you could. And how accurate is it compared to the fitbit?

The Polar FT4 is brilliant for swimming and I find it extremely accurate. Just make sure you wash the chest strap every couple of swims so it doesn't start to wear away.

In comparison to the Fitbit it's also better, IMO. The Fitbit can track steps, but it can't track the intensity of how the steps are gained as it doesn't monitor your heart rate. The Polar, based on your age, height, weight and gender, as well as your BPM, gives you an accurate calorie burn.

So I guess it's a case of what you want to track. If you want as an accurate reading as possible for calories burned, go with the Polar, if you ust want to measure how many steps you have taken, then go for the Fitbit, but in my opinion the Polar is far more useful.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    I use both a Fitbit and a Polar FT Heart Rate Monitor. Personally, knowing the accuracy of things matters to me, because I love the science of it and am a bit geeky like that. I also find them absolutely great motivators. Without my Fitbit I would have undoubtedly spent most of today on my butt, but instead went for a good couple of mile stomp around the block which I felt really good about afterwards.

I don't know if any of the Fitbit range is suitable for swimming pool use, thought the heart rate monitors are. I find the heart rate monitor helps me up my effort whilst working out as it tells me when I am being lazy or not pushing myself enough. The fitbit is generally for knowing my daily energy expenditure for maintenance (which is really accurate).

If you're not that into the above kind of information then I would say to stick with MFP totals (which are pretty accurate) and keep your money in your pocket. Don't think that by using the MFP programme you have to get these things - they are just enhancers for those that are interested.
  • stephiedaniel63
    Options
    Keep track of the time in terms of hours, minutes or anything. Because the timely fashion makes a difference in tracking and managing the activities. I prefer using the hours tracker from Replicon. that keeps me updated in terms of time and management and also makes me stay ahead with all the activities done up in a recursive format. Apart from the hours tracking this tool also help me stay tuned by alerting me the exact time of workout and that is what has made me stay fit and fine in all possible way.