Help with slimfast shakes for lunch?

Options
I've started drinking slimfast shakes and I'm finding them really helpful. They fill me up and I enjoy the taste. I wanted to take them to college for my lunch but I find by the time it gets to lunchtime that they taste funny, like metallicy? I make them with the powder and drink them from a proper shaker. I really want to have them for lunch as college food is very unhealthy and expensive. Does anyone have any suggestions as to why it tastes different and how I can stop it?

Replies

• lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Do you make them with milk or water? Could have something to do with the fact they will no longer be cold by lunchtime. I believe you can buy pre-made shakes in individual bottles which would work out more expensive but would stay fresher.

Or, you could just make a packed lunch with real food in it and take that in instead!
  • idontcarroll
    idontcarroll Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Give the ingredients a read...I'm sure that more than half of the ingredients you probably can't even pronounce. That is the problem.
  • ehodgson1996
    Options
    With milk, I didn't think you could make them with water. Thank you for the help though, I just enjoy the shakes and plus I wanted to start saving up my money I get for lunch rather than buying it there. Can you make the slimshakes with water??
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    college food is very unhealthy and expensive.

Is this serious? Get on a meal plan. Those people working to make cafeteria food care about health and nutrition. Try talking to the chefs at your school. I for one would LOVE. LOVE! to have the opportunity to eat several times a day in a well maintained cafeteria environment.

Unhealthy compared to what? Metal tasting shakes?
  • ehodgson1996
    Options
    Ps the shakes are only temporary whilst I'm at college, I finish soon and it's incredibly hard to find something cheap and healthy to have at college. I just wanted to start losing some weight for when I go on holiday.
  • ehodgson1996
    Options
    Surprisingly less the food is horrible. It's all chips, burgers, sausage rolls. Only "healthy" thing is the sandwiches that they make which are like £3. The food is a joke here I'm not spending anything at college on food anymore
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I think they make Slim Fast Shakes premade in a bottle, ready to drink. Do you have those near you? They might be a better option.

If that doesn't work out, have you considered making a lunch and taking it with you? Like grilled chicken on whole wheat bread? I can eat one sandwich pretty quickly, and if it has enough protein in it it will keep me full for hours.
  • Brooke4206
    Brooke4206 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I am in college also and i agree that it is very hard to find healthy food. We only have a fruit and salad bar, but I can't eat that everyday for each meal. The rest is pure grease. However, I do not advise slimfast. I've done it before and it isn't sustainable, plus take a look at the ingredients. There's A LOT of sugar. If you can I would buy your own food. Whole grain bread, eggs, turkey. Or if you want to stick to shakes I suggest protein shakes with added fruits and veggies.
  • ehodgson1996
    Options
    Yeah they do but individual shakes are more expensive. Suppose I could do half and half and bring bottled shakes some days and a sandwich another
  • Czechster
    Czechster Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I would try mixing the shake with half the amount of milk that you usually use and then after you have mixed it well - use ice to get your liquid level up to the required amount. And put it in an insulated lunch bag. That may keep it cool enough that the taste is not affected.
  • ehodgson1996
    Options
    That's a really good suggestion thank you :)
  • dandaman93
    Options
    Noo. Stop those shakes and make these instead: http://www.greenthickies.com/recipes/.

Much more yummier, healthier and better for you ^^. Cheers.
  • b0nnyd0g
    b0nnyd0g Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I use Herbalife - but the same idea, and I make my shake in morning including blended ice-cubes then put it in the little freezer in the office until about 10.30 then back in the fridge until lunch time. Its just about defrosted and a quick shake up makes it (almost) as good as having it fresh. Could you freeze yours overnight then take it in a cool bag to college and it should have defrosted by your lunch time ? It is so handy to have a shake sometimes so would be great if you could find a way to really enjoy it :)
  • ehodgson1996
    Options
    Yeah I'll try freezing it thank you for the help:)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    With milk, I didn't think you could make them with water. Thank you for the help though, I just enjoy the shakes and plus I wanted to start saving up my money I get for lunch rather than buying it there. Can you make the slimshakes with water??

Sure you can make them with water...................you'll get even LESS protien than you do now. :grumble:

Make your own protein shakes (much healthier) .......protein powder, fruit, milk, and throw in some spinach.
  • dandaman93
    Options

Sure you can make them with water...................you'll get even LESS protien than you do now. :grumble:

Make your own protein shakes (much healthier) .......protein powder, fruit, milk, and throw in some spinach.

^THIS. And it tastes better as well.
  • Miska_
    Miska_ Posts: 84
    Options
    I'm still trying to figure out what a "proper shaker" is.
  • tpr0913
    tpr0913 Posts: 5
    Options
    I don't think her question was whether or not she should do them, or if they're healthy. She just wanted to find a quick meal for school. I'm assuming (correct me if im wrong) that this is your first year? It's a huge hassle in any year to make time to eat healthy. I remember those days ; )

Slim fast can be a great supplement if you're not worrying about sugar or artificial ingredients, but are a calorie counter. You may want to just freeze the individual bottles (or make your own individual bottles) so they can be ready when you are.
  • ehodgson1996
    Options
    The bottles you use got protein shakes etc. and I'm in my last year of college and I'm only there for 2 more months or so so the shakes are only there to get me started until I finish and I can actually spend proper time making my own dinner and being able to go out and exercise more because at the moment I have very little time for all of that because my exams are coming up:/ thank you for everyone's help.
  • caroduzzi
    caroduzzi Posts: 51
    Options
    I just started SF on Wednesday, and am down 3 lbs in 2 days. I know I won't be able to maintain that rate of loss on *any* diet, but after struggling for OVER A YEAR to find something that will kickstart my weightloss, it looks like I've found it! I have a shake for breakfast (chocolate powder in unsweetened vanilla almond milk), and usually lunch is my "real" meal; with a SF bar for dinner. I find the SF snacks too much like mini chocolate bars, but a handful of cashews or some fruit seems to do the trick for a snack.

I plan to follow SF for 3 months and hope to lose 15-20 lbs!