Free weights or resistance machines?

Options
I have been reading a lot about heavy lifting and different strength training programs. I'm curious where everyone stands. I have only been using the resistance machines at my gym but was thinking of getting into using free weights instead. Is there a difference or are they pretty much the same?

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    There's absolutely a difference. Free weights require you to stabilize the weight yourself as you're lifting it which causes higher muscle fiber recruitment. This leads to a fuller development of your muscles. Machines have their place as well as they allow you to lift more weight because you do not need to stabilize it so the answer is you should be doing both, but if you only have the time or ability to do one or the other, stick with free weights.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Huge difference...free weights are far superior. Machines assist you...with free weight you're havig to balance the weight and move it, etc...you're working everything when you lift with free weights. Machines isolate the muscles and groups of muscles.

To get an actual full body workout in with machines would take a great deal of time...you can do a full body routine with free weights with 3 basic exercises and abut 30-45 minutes.

I think machines have their place, but shouldn't be the foundation of your routine...they should really just be used for assistance/isolation work which really isn't necessary until you become a more intermediate lifter.
  • May_Rose
    May_Rose Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Also, free weights allow for free range of motion. Some of those machines put your body in positions that may be unnatural for some, which could lead to injury. If it doesn't feel right, don't do it. There's a sholder machine at my gym that after trying once (for fun) I won't go near anymore!
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Free weights, for all the reasons stated above.

Rigger
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    FW, FTW
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Big difference.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    free weights. There's no better feeling.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Huge difference. I did machines for months in college and never saw any changes in body composition. With free weights there was a noticeable difference in 6 weeks.
  • madhatter2013
    madhatter2013 Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    So, I did the free weights yesterday since I can't do cardio currently. I have a bum knee. And OMG I hurt so much. I found I can bench 55 lbs and I used the 10 lb dumbells, sometimes 5 depending on what I was doing, to do everything else. I can't wait for my knee to get better so that I can do squats and work on my butt. I was doing 2 sets of 8-10 reps working my pecs, arms, core and back. I figured that was a good beginner workout.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    There's absolutely a difference. Free weights require you to stabilize the weight yourself as you're lifting it which causes higher muscle fiber recruitment. This leads to a fuller development of your muscles. Machines have their place as well as they allow you to lift more weight because you do not need to stabilize it so the answer is you should be doing both, but if you only have the time or ability to do one or the other, stick with free weights.

^^This. So this. The range of motion is controlled on the machines, so you don't have to work as many muscles. Additionally, I can even see complete differences between barbell and dumbbell exercises. My current routine uses both BB and DB exercises (compound and isolated lifts), which I think is really great in getting a well-rounded work-out.
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I am currently reading Total Recall, Arnold Schwarzenegger biography. He does explain why powerlifting is so diffrent and what it does to your body vs. using machines.

Very basic explanation is- freeweights will build your strength up (if you train them properly) and lay a foundation for becoming strong. Isolation machines will further define the muscles that you have created through heavy lifting.

The main dif between free weights and the machines is the way you train your muscles. If you are lifting heavy you want to do heavy weight for small amount of reps. Isolation machines you work one muscle more reps until fatigue.

In all my research I have found that heavy lifting is the way to start training your body-if you just use machines your lucky if you will gain muscle definition but gain little to no strength.

whats the point of that....
  • rosettafaery
    rosettafaery Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I started with resistance machines and didn't notice much change in my body during those months. I invested in some free weights and I could see a change in a matter of weeks.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    So, I did the free weights yesterday since I can't do cardio currently. I have a bum knee. And OMG I hurt so much. I found I can bench 55 lbs and I used the 10 lb dumbells, sometimes 5 depending on what I was doing, to do everything else. I can't wait for my knee to get better so that I can do squats and work on my butt. I was doing 2 sets of 8-10 reps working my pecs, arms, core and back. I figured that was a good beginner workout.

I would highly recommend doing an established beginners routine...your results are going to be far superior to trying to invent your own. Trying to program your own routine without the requisite knowledge can cause all kinds of issues down the road, including muscular imbalances and over-use injuries just to name a couple.
  • eepeoples
    Options
    I strongly prefer free weights to resistance machines. I think the free weights allow your muscles to act in concert the way they're designed to work. Resistance machines are designed to isolate single muscles or muscle groups so specifically that I think it throws your body out of whack. There's very little real-life activity in which you'll only work your bicep, for example. There's no motion you'll make in your daily life that only involves your quads. But that's how you're forced to work out on these machines. To me it's ack-basswards. Work out the way you move. Use free weights. Do body-weight exercises like push-ups, sit-ups/crunches, pull-ups, etc. As you do them you'll notice the other muscles that get in on the act even though each one mostly targets certain areas. When I do push-ups on floor bars I can feel my biceps and even my abs participating, for example. This does NOT happen on those resistance machines. That can't be a good thing.

I think these resistance machines are why athletes today seem so fragile. They're always pulling or popping something, it seems to me. They're bodies are out of whack because of these machines. Just MHO. I confess I'm no expert.
  • amy8400
    amy8400 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this question, OP. I've always wanted to hear feedback on this topic. I do mostly cardio but try to do floor exercise and machines every other work out. I've always been scared to venture into the free weight section. I haven't a clue what to do!
  • madhatter2013
    Options

I would highly recommend doing an established beginners routine...your results are going to be far superior to trying to invent your own. Trying to program your own routine without the requisite knowledge can cause all kinds of issues down the road, including muscular imbalances and over-use injuries just to name a couple.

Oh yes. I downloaded an app called GYM Exercise Guide and it takes me through different routines depending on my level and shows me how to do each workout. Yesterday I was just trying it out to decide if I was going to stick with it long term. At my gym, the free weight area is kind of isolated and the only people that go in there are very fit. Fat people like me tend to stay near the resistance and cardio machines. So, it was more of a mental trial to see if I could get passed the "I'm still fat so I can't be seen in there" issue. I've already established that I can't workout at home. Kids won't let me plus, there's just to many distraction and opportunities to procrastinate. If I go to the gym, I am there for one reason only and there's no room to dilly dally.
  • madhatter2013
    Options
    Thanks for this question, OP. I've always wanted to hear feedback on this topic. I do mostly cardio but try to do floor exercise and machines every other work out. I've always been scared to venture into the free weight section. I haven't a clue what to do!

LOL Exactly, that's why I made my husband come with me and we chose a day where I knew there wouldn't be too many there.