Hypothyroidism help

Options
So I just bought kelp supplements I can't go to doctor till next month I think I have hypothyroidism I'm
Hoping this will help me cause it's natural supplement I'm taking dandelion root now for water retention. How long until you see results? Does kelp work? How much water? I only need to lose 8 lbs and I want to lose by April 5 I'm sick of not losing for almost 5 months
I did the at home thermometer test and by results I could have it

Replies

• kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't take any supplements until after you see your doctor. They could affect the results of his testing.
    Kaye
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    MFP has a Hypothyroidism and Hyperthyroidism group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism

Thyroid medication is not a miracle weightloss wonder drug. People with underactive thyroids who take Synthroid or Armour lose weight by eating at a deficit—just like everyone else.
  • JessyLovesJCS
    JessyLovesJCS Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroid for years and years, on medication, tested regularly. And, for me, I only lose when I log what I eat, exercise regularly...and stay under TDEE - 20%. I'm not sure about the kelp as it's not thyroid hormones...
  • RozayJones
    RozayJones Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I just seen an endo last week and was told not to take any supplements until my levels are right.
  • go2grrl
    go2grrl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Why do you "think" you have hypothyroidism? Hypothyroid symptoms are similar to those in many other problematic health issues. The only way to tell is to have a complete thyroid panel done.
  • txrachb
    txrachb Posts: 1
    Options
    I agree, I wouldn't take any supplements until you see the doctor. You want your test results to be accurate so the medication is the right dosage, if you do in fact have hypothyroid. And be ready because getting the dosage right is a journey, I've had hypothyroid for 4 years and we've changed the dosage many times. It can be managed though, hang in there!
  • erizek14
    erizek14 Posts: 30
    Options
    I have hypothyroid for years and years, on medication, tested regularly. And, for me, I only lose when I log what I eat, exercise regularly...and stay under TDEE - 20%. I'm not sure about the kelp as it's not thyroid hormones...

My tdee Is 2103 and 20% deduction is 1600 or so calories that's so much!!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I only need to lose 8 lbs and I want to lose by April 5 I'm sick of not losing for almost 5 months.
    If you're not losing weight, you're not eating at a deficit. You're underestimating your food &/or overestimating your burns.

Log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Weigh your food. Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants