100 + pounds to loose, how fast did it come off at first

Options
Ok just two days ago I was like there is not way I could loose 100 pounds in a year. If you've already started this journey and had a high start weight, just about how much came off in the first weeks? I was just a little worried that its coming off too fast, I stepped on the scale this morning and thought it had to be wrong, gave it five minutes weighed again, and it was exactly the same.

Replies

• silmarilliane
    silmarilliane Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    i was at 50+lbs to lose to start but my general experience is the more you have to lose, the quicker the first load comes off. it's great because it's a huge positive boost and great start to it! once you get closer to your goal though, it will come off slower.

When i started at 208lbs, i lost a stone in just over a month.

good luck :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    no 100lbs in one year is not healthy.

That is 2lbs a week for an entire year and what you need to understand is that as you lose weight your weekly goal should go down...

At first at 100lbs to lose 2lbs a week is reasonable but once you hit between 50-75 that should be lowered to about 1.5lbs a week...then after you hit between 25-50 it goes down to 1lb a week then at 15 and less 1/2lb a week.

At first you will see lots of weight come off and it is motivating and makes you want to stick to that but it's not healthy.

And last but not least...you didn't gain 100lbs in a year did you?...be patient, do in a healthy manner...otherwise you are setting yourself up for failure.
  • jenchamb1
    jenchamb1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have lost 80 pounds in just over a year. In the beginning it did come off quickly, mostly water weight. Plus I had a lot to lose and cutting my calories down so much was a huge change in my diet. I did not exercise for the first couple months either, wanted to get used to the eating part first because if I did both things at the same time, I would have been miserable.
    Best advice I can give is to really track your calories...it works. I think I could have lost 100 pounds in a year but I had quite a few summer weekend trips that I didn't track, as well as from Thanksgiving to Super Bowl I really just maintained because of so many holiday things and also a week long all inclusive vacation where I ate and drank what I wanted. I am happy that I was able to maintain throughout that time, I'm hoping when I reach my goal that I can maintain with relative ease.
  • MrsHuffmanNC
    MrsHuffmanNC Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!!!
  • AvsFreak
    AvsFreak Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    It took 9 months to lose 100 lbs and slowed from there. (lost 150 in total) That was with weight lifting and cardio. I was averaging 3 lbs a week. At higher body fat %, it is ok to lose more per week than when you get to lower BF%.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I've been at it for about 4 years now and still haven't quite hit the 100 pound mark - might by the end of this year if all goes well.

The first six months or so, I lost at a rate of about 1.5 pounds per week. The rate slowed a bit as the year finished up by I still managed to lose about 60 pounds. The next few years involved a some yo-yoing as I tried some different approaches and took breaks for vacations, holidays, etc but I managed to lose another 30 pounds. My current rate of loss is about 1 pound per month. With the way I like to eat, this very slow and steady works perfectly for me. :)

Bottom line is, it doesn't matter how long it takes you to lose it. The important thing is that you're making changes to improve your health and fitness!
  • schonsdragon
    schonsdragon Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I have been on this journey for over 2 years and have lost a 100+ pounds. I am doing this slow so each small change can be incorporated into my life and find out what works with my body and what doesn't.

The weight loss was a bit faster at first but I have found that it ebbs and flows with the seasons but more importantly I worked at getting into healthy habits that have carried me when my motivation is gone. Yes, my motivation does disappear at times but by having healthy habits to lean on they carry me until my motivation returns and it always does eventually.
  • rach503
    rach503 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I lost 85 pounds in about 8 months, then I switched to maintenance mode. It's definitely possible. I pushed myself to continually do "more" or "harder" physical exercise. I also switched up what I was doing as far as working out, about every 2 months to keep my weight loss from stalling out & I found that to work pretty well for me.

Good luck! Keep at it, and be patient. You'll have weeks where you lose 4 pounds & weeks where you don't lose anything. Just maintain your confidence in the smart choices you are making and you'll end up where you want to be.