Sugar Free Yogurt

Options
Has anyone found real sugar free yogurt? The only one I can find is the Dannon Light & Fit and it says "cultured dairy snack" so makes me wonder if has real yogurt cultures. I am in Central Florida.

Replies

• klindema
    klindema Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Not entirely SF, but Siggi's is awesome and low in sugar... I eat the kid's tubes. Thick, tart, and still a bit sweet.
  • kethry70
    kethry70 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    The milk itself has natural sugars so I would think the best you could do is no added sugar. If you just want the cultures, a lot of pharmacies sell the live cultures (refrigerated) on chewable or powder form
  • andylowry
    andylowry Posts: 89
    Options
    If you have a Kroger or Fry's nearby, they have a yogurt line called "Carb Smart." It's 5gm carbohydrate per container. Tasty, too!
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    The milk itself has natural sugars so I would think the best you could do is no added sugar. If you just want the cultures, a lot of pharmacies sell the live cultures (refrigerated) on chewable or powder form

This. Because the milk in the yogurt has naturally occurring sugars, there will be sugar, even in plain yogurt.

I usually buy plain yogurt and just flavoring it how I like it (fresh/frozen fruit, honey, maple syrup, agave, granola, etc). Not so much because of the badness of sugary yogurts, but because I prefer to cater to my own tastes.

Sugar isn't necessarily bad for you, unless you are diabetic or are going over your calories on sugary things.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

This. Because the milk in the yogurt has naturally occurring sugars, there will be sugar, even in plain yogurt.

I usually buy plain yogurt and just flavoring it how I like it (fresh/frozen fruit, honey, maple syrup, agave, granola, etc). Not so much because of the badness of sugary yogurts, but because I prefer to cater to my own tastes.

Sugar isn't necessarily bad for you, unless you are diabetic or are going over your calories on sugary things.

^^This.

I tried Chobani 100, which is sweetened with Stevia. It's ok. I don't really like stevia, flavor-wise, though. I prefer the 120 calorie ones that are sugar-sweetened. Other than that, I often buy plain Fage' and add my own fruit, honey/maple syrup, within my liking. You get quite a bit more yogurt, volume-wise, for the same amount of calories, and almost double the protein, as well, when you use plain. I've just been too lazy to worry about doing it that way, lately. haha!
  • moylek
    moylek Posts: 27
    Options
    What about plain, all-natural yoghurt? Would you consider plain yoghurt to be sugar free?

It has some naturally occurring milk sugars, of course. But that's just the way God made it.
  • archaichoney
    archaichoney Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I make my own sweetened and flavored yogurts with plain Chobani, fruit, protein powder and Truvia. Is good.
  • cerumens
    cerumens Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It is really easy to make your own. I use stevia to sweetened it. If you have a crockpot that is the simplest way. I make it by the gallon :)
  • moylek
    moylek Posts: 27
    Options
    I guess we do not all mean the same thing by "home-made yoghurt". Which means we don't mean the same thing when we say "yoghurt." To me, yoghurt is a sort of fermented milk; to others, it's a snack food based on yoghurt. And so "sugar-free yoghurt" will mean something quite different, depending on what you mean by "yoghurt."

Like cerumens, my wife and I - well, let's be honest: my wife - make much of our own yoghurt: a few litres of milk - homo or 2% - warmed up in a big pot, then cooled and mixed with some starter yoghurt and left to stay warm in the oven over night. That's it, really.
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    No real yogurt is going to be sugar free. Go for plain yogurt with a higher fat content (2% to full fat) and you will be close. You can sweeten it yourself with fruit, agave, honey, or sugar substitute if you need to.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    Traditional Plain Greek Yogurt is your best bet if you are watching the sugar. Usually, lower the fat, higher the sugar content.