will lifting help? and question about calories?

Options
I'm at a good weight (115 lbs and I am 5'0) but not happy with what I look like sincei still have a big belly. I did start lifting, so will that help me? And should I eat at a maintanance or slight deficit?

Replies

• Staniel_2013
    Staniel_2013 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert but in my opinion, lifting WILL definitely help. Building muscle will help define your body more and from what I'm guessing at it will give you the look you want.

As far as calories goes, I'd say if doing strength training and trying to build muscle and lower body fat either stay at maintenance or possibly a slight increase depending on the work load? Try it out and see how it goes for a few weeks. I'd really like someone else to chime in on this too.

Please don't ever be afraid of getting bulky though, it's not going to happen (ok, it technically CAN but it takes a lot of work and other things for women to become a bulky body builder)

IMHO, weight lifting > over cardio any day when it comes to getting into shape.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Yep. I would go with slight deficit since it sounds like you still want to lose body fat. Further down the line you may want to bulk then cut again.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    If you're at a "good" weight, then eat at maintenance. Lifting will DEFINITELY help the appearance of your body. Everything will get tighter, more defined, and stronger. Start lifting!
  • jardimgirl
    jardimgirl Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Yep. I would go with slight deficit since it sounds like you still want to lose body fat. Further down the line you may want to bulk then cut again.

What is bulking and cutting? I don't want a defined midsection, I just want it flat and tight
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    When you have dropped the fat you may decide you want ore muscle. So bulking is when you eat in a surplus to gain muscle, then after that you would cut again, which is when you go into a deficit to lose fat.
    If you don't want a defined midsection it may not even apply to you, but something to think about if you drop fat and still aren't quite where you want to be.
  • CrazyLovelyMe
    Options
    Lifting is one of the best things you can do. Getting bulky will not happen~
  • fittestpal
    fittestpal Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Yeah don't worry about getting bulky it's not in your genetics! You can lift all you want. Squatting burns more calories per rep than any other exercise!
  • Ilikelamps
    Ilikelamps Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    youre gonna be HUUUGE
  • Yanks1996
    Yanks1996 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    In for answers since I have the same question.
  • owenmhartley
    owenmhartley Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    All you have to does look at long distance runners physiques ie Paula Radcliffe to see the kind of body Tarmac pounding gives you and then look to the likes of Paige hathaway, Larissa reiss and bikini athletes who lift to see what gives you the best body :) people have this misconception with weight training and think that it just makes you a huge beast, hence why most women stick classes such a zumbacise and ab blast through this fear
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Lifting is the answer
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Check out New Rules of Lifting for Woman, stronglifts 5x5 and compound lifting.

Lift and lift HEAVY, no wimpy 1lb weights. I would eat at maintenance, but add in more lean proteins.

Lifting will definitely help you get the results you want. Keep proper form.

Don't worry about bulking and cutting, just lift.

Women don't build muscle like men do, you will not get bulky or huge.

To help strengthen your core, also check out Pilates....