fruit at night?

Options
I've been having an apple for a snack at night. It's usually after I've exercised and is maybe an hour before I go to bed. We eat dinner very early to accommodate all of our kids evening activities so by 9 or 10 at night I'm starving. I'm wondering if that's the best option, because of all of the sugar. I figured fruit was a safe bet but when I enter it my sugar count goes way up (usually still within my allowable amounts, though). Is eating an apple before bed wise? Or should I snack on something else?

Replies

• gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    I love apples. I eat them any time during the day and it hasn't slowed my loss at all. Meal timing is about preference. Enjoy your apples whenever you want as long as they fit in your daily calories.

I like mine with peanut butter. :heart:
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I love apples. I eat them any time during the day and it hasn't slowed my loss at all. Meal timing is about preference. Enjoy your apples whenever you want as long as they fit in your daily calories.

I like mine with peanut butter. :heart:

All of this. Especially the last part about peanut butter. <3
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    It's actually not a bad idea to have a little carb snack at night b/c it can help you fall asleep more easily. And it definitely won't negatively affect your weight loss as long as you account for the calories.

Don't worry about sugar in fruit. It's the foods with "added sugar" that have been shown to be problematic.
  • cahors97
    cahors97 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. So should I not worry if I go over my sugar amounts if I know that the majority of it is from fruit?
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. So should I not worry if I go over my sugar amounts if I know that the majority of it is from fruit?

Bingo.

If you're concerned about satiety, you could add a little protein and fat with some cheese slices or peanut butter. I especially like to make a dip with vanilla greek yogurt, cinnamon and PB. It's a delicious way to get more peanut butter on my apples without blowing the calorie content :smile:.

But if you're finding the apple is holding you over well until morning, don't mess with what's working for you.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    as long as you are in a calorie deficit for the day, you do not need to worry about it.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

No, you don't have to worry about naturally foods with only naturally occurring sugar like fruit.