morning exercise

Options
How many of you exercise first thing in the morning?

Have you noticed any major benefits?

What are the obstacles you have had to overcome in order to keep your morning routine consistant?

What do you eat before your monring workout if anything?

My husband and I currently go to the gym at 5am each morning, we have been doing it for a couple of months. Some weeks are much harder than others, looking for any suggestions.

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 5 to go to the gym. The main benefits are that I get it done, before life gets in the way; and the gym's usually empty enough that I can get to all the equipment (bench, squat rack or power cage, chest-supported row or lat pulldown) - afternoons/evenings are too crowded.

No obstacles to overcome, really. I just want to do it, so I do.

The only things I consume before my workouts are coffee and creatine.
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I get up and exercise right away at 4:30 am. It's the only time I know I will be uninterrupted (I'm a full time working mom), and I also like getting it done first thing. It sets a positive healthy mood for my day. It was hard starting the routine and getting up that early, but now it's habit and I am used to it.

Other than that, exercise whenever it's best for you. And eat according to what makes you have the best workout. I do my workouts on an empty stomach because 4:30 is just too early to be eating. I eat breakfast after I've worked out and showered. In the end calories in vs calories out are what matters for weight loss, regardless of timing of workouts or meals around workouts. :)
  • awaagner
    awaagner Posts: 4
    Options
    I've always preferred working out first thing in the morning. It takes some commitment -- aka going to bed at a reasonable hour -- but for me, it's much easier than giving up post-work events like happy hours, volunteering, and the classes I take. I don't usually eat anything beforehand because it makes me feel too full and heavy, but I drink water while I work out and eat breakfast within 30 minutes of finishing up.