Now it's working and I'm even more mental?

Options
I feel like I need some sense talked into me...

I've been working steadily on my goals, staying within my macros, regular workouts, focusing on getting more & better sleep, etc. And it's working - I'm steadily losing a pound or two a week. It's certainly not as fast as when I was younger (I'm turning 40 in Nov.) but it's happening.

And yet....I don't know if I'm just impatient, or have been watching the Biggest Loser too much or what. But I feel like maybe this is slower than it needs to be? I started at 230, and am down to 206 in about 3 months. But yanno, BL folks can lose 6-8 pounds a week so maybe I'm delusional with this 1-2 week thing? Or would I just be setting myself up for failure by getting so impatient?

Replies

• Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    You are you and that's the only person you need to concern yourself with.

It's reality TV, scripted up the wazoo, and truly ignorant. Keep doing what you're doing because that seems like it's working perfect :smile:
  • cherys
    cherys Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Have you never read the 'behind the scenes' BL stories? They were encouraged to dehydrate etc for weigh-in day because it was a team competition.
    The way you are losing sounds sensible, healthy and sustainable. The way they lost was through massive quantities of high intensity exercise combined with low calorie diet. But they were in a camp, weren't they? No real life to cope with and find energy for.

You deserve to be very proud of your loss so far. Concentrate on what you have achieved and are achieving, not on what you haven't done.

If you want to speed it up a bit, you could try food combining - eg only protein with veg or carbs with veg but not both. Cut out diet sodas and bananas too, if you have them. And do HIIT exercise a few times a week.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Do you realize what they actually do on that show? Dehydrate substantially before weigh-ins...severe calorie restriction....completely unsustainable ways of exercising that would ultimately be unhealthy...not to mention, a "week" isn't a week.

It's t.v.....you live in the real world. those people are getting paid to drop weight at a high rate for your entertainment regardless of whether it is healthy or not...but at least they have doctors that follow them around everywhere...do you?

Again....reality t.v. isn't actual reality.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    You're doing great. TRUST yourself. You're making a lifestyle change for the better.

you've got this, and we're here if you slip, to help pick you back up
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    You are down 24lbs. 3 months, times 4 weeks = 12 weeks. 24/12 = 2 lbs per week on average.

Which means you are losing at the fastest rate that is still HEALTHY. Please do not get too inspired by BL, their methods are not healthy or sustainable.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Don't believe anything you see on TV :smile:

I started a little larger than you (244 @ 44 years old) and I believe when I averaged out my weight loss until this point it has been less than a pound a week, more like a 1/2 a week. Now this does include those pesky plateau when nothing will make that scale move, but you may be losing inches (but you don't really care, cause it is all about the scale :wink: )

I know when we were younger the weight seemed to come off much easier - for me I think now I am making much smarter choices and that may be adding to why it doesn't seem to move so fast. It's like trying to remember how did I party until 2:00 am and still make it to work?

Just remember July 4th is going to come soon, it can either arrive with you may be having lost 10 pounds - or nothing, or having gained 12 pounds! I always have to remind myself that a random future date is going to come and I can either be where I am now, a bit closer to my goal or god forbid further away from my goal - no pressure just a reminder that it will happen :smile:

Slow and steady wins the race!
  • JennaNevada
    JennaNevada Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the pick-me-up, friends! I appreciate it.
  • vikdexkaykai
    vikdexkaykai Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Also, keep in mind that the competitors ONLY job is to loose weight. So they work out for 8+ hours/day and have food (healthy) catered to them. So unless you can maintain the above lifestyle...SNAP OUT OF IT!!!!

STOP comparing yourself to anyone else, ESPECIALLY TV!!! That's ludicris!!

I know it's easy to look at everyone else and compare yourself, but from experience, it only psychs yourself out and YOU are the only one that suffers!!!

:laugh:
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    BL is faked, exaggerated and heavily edited to make it more interesting to the audience.

Do not compare your own losses to that and do not expect such huge losses. Bear in mind that the contestants are losing in the hope of winning money and most of the contestants will regain much of the weight.

For sustainable fat loss that is healthy and will stay off, a goal of around 1 lb loss per week is recommended.

You're doing well, keep at it.