More Protein?!

Options
Hey everyone!

So my trainer said I need to incorporate 100-110 g's of protein into my diet per day. I am not hitting that goal!

Any one have ideas about snacks/foods high in protein but low in calories? Or possibly good supplements to add that have lots of protein in them?

Thanks!

:smile:

Replies

• Azchange
    Azchange Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    You can look at my diary (this weekend was a wash, but all of February and beginning of March is my normal).

Greek Yogurt, Eggs, Chicken. They are really high in protein, and low in calories.
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast, eggs, Greek yogurt, canned tuna, salmon, flounder, tilapia, lean cuts of steak...some of my favorites. Also the Clif "Builder" bars with 20g of protein. Those have 270 calories though, so not especially low calorie. I just make room for them in my day because they're yummy!
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Mozzerella cheese sticks, oven carved lunch meat (I like the Oscar Meyer cutting board ham and turkey and eat it with a cheese stick for a snack), hard boiled eggs, greek yogurt, low fat cottage cheese, nuts and nut butters added to oatmeal or on fruit, beef jerky, quinoa, lentils.
    As for protein powder I like Myofusion probiotic vanilla and for bars I like Kroger Simple Truth double chocolate bars.
  • MHackrott
    MHackrott Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I use GNC Amphlified Isolate whey protien. 1 scoop pre work out, 1 scoop post workout, and 1 scoop for afternoon snack(I work out in the mornings), this is 60g of protein total. Low caloried but good for proetin foods: hard boiled egg whites, kind+protein bars(not a lot of protein but more than other snacks and GMO free), you could eat rolled up ham or turkey as a snack, peanut butter but watch that as it is high in calories....
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, chicken breasts, Tuna, eggs, nuts, etc.

I supplement with protein powder, usually only on days that I work out. I use Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey, which has a great calorie-to-protein ratio and also tastes pretty good even when it's just mixed with water.
  • michaeladuke
    Options
    Wow thank you everyone! Those are all great ideas, and sound really yummy too :happy:
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I also use Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Whey Protein and as far as protein bars I recently tried Quest protein bars, 20-21 grams protein, around 20 grams carbs, 17 grams fiber and taste pretty good (so far I've liked every flavor I've tried), around 200 calories. I can't think of any additional foods not already mentioned.
  • bkyoun
    bkyoun Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Premier Protein shakes that you can get at Costco have 30g of protein for only 160 calories and 1g sugar. Excellent supplement to boost your protein. It contains milk protein and whey protein.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone!

So my trainer said I need to incorporate 100-110 g's of protein into my diet per day. I am not hitting that goal!

Any one have ideas about snacks/foods high in protein but low in calories? Or possibly good supplements to add that have lots of protein in them?

Thanks!

As a top end (assuming you're very active - hence trainer) you should be looking at no more than 1g of protein per lb of LEAN MASS.

Easiest way to hit your protein goal is meat. Other options would be eggs, yoghurt and cottage cheese.
  • kathuggs
    kathuggs Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've recently fallen in love with the Dannon Light Greek Yogurts. 12g protein for only 80 calories.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    feel free to check my diary. I need 120g as well.

Through the week I do pretty good as long as I have eggs for breakfast...

my favs are Cheese, greek yogurt (50 cal greek yoplait fruit stuff), lean meats, eggs, egg whites, bacon, skim milk etc.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    my diary is open and I've actually been logging recently. I aim for 120 which is a little over 1 g per lb lean mass for me. I try to hit that first and then let the other calories fall where they will. My favorites are greek yogurt, egg whites, chicken, and tuna. I use Trutein protein powder when I need to balance out and hit the macro with little carbs or fat along with it.
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Chicken
    Turkey
    Shrimp
    Fish
    Lean hamburger

Eggs
    Greek yogurt
    String cheese
    Edamame
    Beans

Quest bars
    Protein powder / smoothies
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I have about the same protein goal, and I do struggle with it! But it's all practice I guess, my favorite snacks are carbs but I check the protein on everything now. I'm sure people have already told you to get lean meats and dairy and to have some protein with each meal/snack. I find it's best to make a whole ton of small changes to the things I already eat.

Here's a few things I learned:
    * Parmesan cheese is the highest cheese in protein, followed by Romano, so you'll get the best protein bang for your calorie buck. Other good cheeses include asiago and non-fat mozzerella.
    * Plain greek yogurt is an acceptable substitute for a lot of things that call for milk and butter, including macaroni and cheese.
    * Chocolate milk is an acceptable snack. It's okay to have chocolate milk every day!
    * A Skinny Cafe Mocha from Starbucks has 9g of protein in a small, for 110 calories.
    * Egg whites hide well in most things. They're pretty flavorless and are basically pure protein.
    * Make your protein shake with greek yogurt and maybe a banana for a milkshake-like texture. Yum!
    * Many nuts have more fat and carbs than protein, but almonds, peanuts and pistachios are a good choice.
    * As a substitute for flour, use ground up nuts or high-fiber cereal, or some combination.
    * When having carbs, there are better choices - whole grains and brown rice have more protein, as does quinoa.
    * Your veggie choices can have protein in them too! I know broccoli has some, as does asparagus and cauliflower.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Here's a good list: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources

I struggled with this for a long time, and have a similar target to you. It took some time, but I managed to gradually increase it and regularly exceed that goal now. I make sure I have at least one good amount of meat or fish for my evening meal, and I always have a bowl of Greek yoghurt after dinner. I often have a protein shake, especially when I'm working out a lot. Then, I get a bit more from smaller amounts of meat, fish and cheese at lunch, adding beans and lentils to soup, and adding in snacks like anchovies (going through a bit of a phase) and hard boiled eggs. I also started making egg "cups" with a mixture of eggs and egg whites for my lunches while at work.

My point is, it seemed daunting at first, but I gradually added a bit more, and a bit more until I can now easily reach that amount most days.
  • aimladuke
    aimladuke Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I really like quest bars. They have 20g. of protein for around 200 calories. They are really tasty especially if you throw them in the mirowave for 10 sec. There are a ton of different flavors, ( some of which taste better then others)
  • buzhik
    buzhik Posts: 5
    Options
    I drink Pure Protein shake for breakfast (chocolate flavor). The have 23 and 35 grams of protein options. Really helps to achieve my daily total requirement.
  • michaeladuke
    Options
    I have about the same protein goal, and I do struggle with it! But it's all practice I guess, my favorite snacks are carbs but I check the protein on everything now. I'm sure people have already told you to get lean meats and dairy and to have some protein with each meal/snack. I find it's best to make a whole ton of small changes to the things I already eat.

Here's a few things I learned:
    * Parmesan cheese is the highest cheese in protein, followed by Romano, so you'll get the best protein bang for your calorie buck. Other good cheeses include asiago and non-fat mozzerella.
    * Plain greek yogurt is an acceptable substitute for a lot of things that call for milk and butter, including macaroni and cheese.
    * Chocolate milk is an acceptable snack. It's okay to have chocolate milk every day!
    * A Skinny Cafe Mocha from Starbucks has 9g of protein in a small, for 110 calories.
    * Egg whites hide well in most things. They're pretty flavorless and are basically pure protein.
    * Make your protein shake with greek yogurt and maybe a banana for a milkshake-like texture. Yum!
    * Many nuts have more fat and carbs than protein, but almonds, peanuts and pistachios are a good choice.
    * As a substitute for flour, use ground up nuts or high-fiber cereal, or some combination.
    * When having carbs, there are better choices - whole grains and brown rice have more protein, as does quinoa.
    * Your veggie choices can have protein in them too! I know broccoli has some, as does asparagus and cauliflower.

Those substitution ideas are FANTASTIC! And I do love Starbucks on occasion. Thank you for your post this is very helpful!
  • michaeladuke
    Options
    Here's a good list: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources

I struggled with this for a long time, and have a similar target to you. It took some time, but I managed to gradually increase it and regularly exceed that goal now. I make sure I have at least one good amount of meat or fish for my evening meal, and I always have a bowl of Greek yoghurt after dinner. I often have a protein shake, especially when I'm working out a lot. Then, I get a bit more from smaller amounts of meat, fish and cheese at lunch, adding beans and lentils to soup, and adding in snacks like anchovies (going through a bit of a phase) and hard boiled eggs. I also started making egg "cups" with a mixture of eggs and egg whites for my lunches while at work.

My point is, it seemed daunting at first, but I gradually added a bit more, and a bit more until I can now easily reach that amount most days.

Thank you! Everything seems a bit overwhelming right now, but so far my trainer seems to know what she is talking about, so i'm going to do my best to listen! Haha.

• DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    My base protein is set at 105g/day, but I do eat back my exercise calories and focus on hitting my macros and micors. My diary is open as well. A lot of the protein bars mentioned (especially PB Crunch Builder Bar, nom!!) can be great easy high protein snacks, but the sugar levels can be really high. I try to meet my protein goal with whole foods as much as possible, but a protein drink for breakfast is perfect for me. And there are really so many ways to use the powder besides in drinks and smoothies to hit that goal when you just can't otherwise.