Weight loss while on Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo? Women!

Options
My weight gain occurred about 4 years ago when I began Depo Provera (AKA: the shot). I was on the shot for over a year, and then switched to Ortho Tri Cyclen for two years. In Summer 2010 I got and IUD (Mirena) and could not stand the pain associated with it so I had it taken out about six months later. Since then (a year) I have been on Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo. I have wanted to lose the 25 pounds since I gained it, but never gave it a serious try. I now have 19 pounds to lose, and am nervous about the effects my birth control may have on my weight loss.

I am exercising daily, and reducing my calories and sometimes carbs. I haven't gained anymore weight since switching back, but I am wondering if anybody else has attempted to lose weight while on Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo, or a similar BC pill? How has your weight loss gone? Do you think your pill makes a difference? Do you think if I work hard enough, it won't matter what BC i am on?

Help?!

Replies

• megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    bump
  • allierae14
    Options
    I am on it and it has not affected my loss at all. It has been the one and only pill I have been on since I started it. If you are concerned I would talk to your doctor about it. I have lost about 20 lbs while on it.
  • Restlessme
    Restlessme Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I'm on it and it hasn't affected my loss or gain in anyway that I've noticed.
  • melkithall
    melkithall Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm on the ortho BC pill and I haven't noticed any difference it's made on my weight loss. I need the pill to stabilize my hormones, otherwise I have my cycle too often. When the hormones aren't controlled I have cravings that are much worse than normal. That could cause me to eat more, but other than that, I don't see any difference the pill has on my diet!
  • laneybird
    laneybird Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    I am on it and it has never affected my losses. Besides the past month, I've steadily lost since I started. Hope this works for you! I had the Mirena too and was one of the unlucky ones that it didn't like my body either
  • victoria233
    Options
    Just depends on you!

I actually asked my doctor this when I was last in to see her. She said its an equal average meaning, the same amount of people gained weight as those who stayed the same, and those who lost. As long as you have a controlled diet your good!! I was on tri-cyclen for a couple of years and was able to loose weight with it!

good luck!
  • mizjohnston
    mizjohnston Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. I gained 20 lbs over a period of 5 years on it. I lost 15 pounds within one month of coming off. I am like that with all BC. My friend had the same reaction. I have another friend that lost weight on it. I would talk to your doctor to see what is best for you. :)
  • dollienj
    Options
    I was on it for several years (until Summer 2011), and it didn't seem to have any effect on my weight loss/gain either. I'm on Seasonique Lo now, and just restarted my healthier habits. Lost 1.5 pounds in two weeks, and that's just with changing my eating habits. I agree with allierae, check with your doc to be sure, but my guess is that you should be fine.
  • megmay2591
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I have lost two pounds so far, and I don't think my BC pills are having any negative effects. I guess I was just so worried about losing weight that I felt like I had to put the blame or excuse on something other than myself. Eating well, and exercising makes me feel great, and I expect to see results before I know it :)
  • daniellepaskewitz
    Options
    Perfect timing to see this! I just started Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo. Have you seen any effects on the pillow in the past 10 months?
  • megmay2591
    Options
    I've lost a total of 19 pounds since beginning to lose weight January last year....no problems. You can do it!
  • abianco01
    Options
    I wanted to share with you that I have been on this pill (ortho tricyclen lo) for 1 month now. I used to take RECLIPSEN and i also have had the generic Ortho tricyclen and the actual brand one. This was my first time taking the LO kind. Asked my doctor who didnt really reassure me it would not make me gain. But. I did some online research and found that since this pill has LOWER hormones in there released as the month goes on? It should NOT make you gain. Ok fair enough. So i looked up videos also. And there was this show on tv called the DOCTORS. The female doctor? She said that no, this pill (the LO) is not going to be the cause of weight gain. Most pills arent to blame. Its our appetite and so on that they cause so as long as you exercise and eat well you should not gain. Anyways. Short of it!! I have lost 4 lbs since i started 1 month ago. Thats 1lb a week. I been doing 20 mins of cardio each day and watching what i eat. Drinking water with lemon daily............so does it make you lose? for me it has SO FAR. I will watch as time goes on. But so far so good. My other pills in the past? I gained 20 lbs and same deal--i ate well and exercised. Still gained a ton!! Not this one. The LO? Nope!! So i think its better than the other pills. But thats just me. Also, i had a friend who was on the shot. Bad !! It makes you gain for sure. Like 20 lbs. And the IUD can be bad news also. So i think sticking to regular BCP is the key just get the lower dose one. Its working. There is hope that you can not gain but also lose on this one.

Just needed to share that this is what i think a good option.
  • missfitmt
    missfitmt Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I wanted to share with you that I have been on this pill (ortho tricyclen lo) for 1 month now. I used to take RECLIPSEN and i also have had the generic Ortho tricyclen and the actual brand one. This was my first time taking the LO kind. Asked my doctor who didnt really reassure me it would not make me gain. But. I did some online research and found that since this pill has LOWER hormones in there released as the month goes on? It should NOT make you gain. Ok fair enough. So i looked up videos also. And there was this show on tv called the DOCTORS. The female doctor? She said that no, this pill (the LO) is not going to be the cause of weight gain. Most pills arent to blame. Its our appetite and so on that they cause so as long as you exercise and eat well you should not gain. Anyways. Short of it!! I have lost 4 lbs since i started 1 month ago. Thats 1lb a week. I been doing 20 mins of cardio each day and watching what i eat. Drinking water with lemon daily............so does it make you lose? for me it has SO FAR. I will watch as time goes on. But so far so good. My other pills in the past? I gained 20 lbs and same deal--i ate well and exercised. Still gained a ton!! Not this one. The LO? Nope!! So i think its better than the other pills. But thats just me. Also, i had a friend who was on the shot. Bad !! It makes you gain for sure. Like 20 lbs. And the IUD can be bad news also. So i think sticking to regular BCP is the key just get the lower dose one. Its working. There is hope that you can not gain but also lose on this one.

Just needed to share that this is what i think a good option.

Yeah, the nurse explained to me that the pill doesn't cause you to gain weight; rather it causes your appetite to increase. So it's all dependent on what you snack on/eat whenever you get hungry. Of course you're going to gain weight if you go for a burger every time you're hungry. But if you drink lots of water and eat right, weight gain should not be an issue.

I've been on OTCL for a year now and was really worried about the side effects. But *knock on wood* I've had great success with it. My appetite did increase, but then again, I'm just always hungry and like to eat :-P. I've maintained my weight the entire year I've been on it though due to consistent diet and exercise.
  • fitislandgirl
    fitislandgirl Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My doctor prescribed ortho tri-cyclen lo for me today and my first concern was whether it would cause weight gain. I'm going to start it tonight. This thread has put my fears to rest!
  • ACBXTREME15
    Options
    I just started today. My doctor prescribed birth control to me because I have bad acne. I was doing some research and I am a little scared about the whole weight gain thing. I just started trying to lose 20 pounds and I don't want to gain more! Also, does it actually help with acne and how long do you have to wait before you saw any results? Thanks!
  • kelseylyates
    kelseylyates Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just started today. My doctor prescribed birth control to me because I have bad acne. I was doing some research and I am a little scared about the whole weight gain thing. I just started trying to lose 20 pounds and I don't want to gain more! Also, does it actually help with acne and how long do you have to wait before you saw any results? Thanks!

I have been on Tri Cyclen for about 3 years now and I have gained a total of 20lbs since then. I have managed to lose 5lbs from diet & exercise but I definitely think it is a contributing factor to why I am not able to lose more weight. I eat very healthy and exercise regularly but the weight still won't budge. It is becoming very frustrating!

But to answer your question, yes it does clear up acne. I would say after 3months I had completely clear skin.

I really want to get off of it but I am scared of the side-effects of coming off. I tried to come off a few months ago for a bit and had awful cystic acne all over my face, back & chest and my face was SO oily. It was so horrible that I went back on.

Lose/lose situation...guess I have to pick the lesser of two evils. Weight or acne. :grumble: