Exercising with Very Sore Muscles - Safe?

Options
beabria
beabria Posts: 541 Member
Five days ago, I decided to climb all the the stairs in my building (15 floors) without stopping to rest to get some good strength training in. It worked - it pushed my legs to complete exhaustion and I plan on giving another go sometime soon. The problem is that my legs are still sore - really sore. It hurts my calves to even walk, let alone do any real exercise, so I've been putting off exercise. But, I'm eager to not to lose motivation by prolonged inactivity. Is it safe to go for a jog if I can push through, even if my muscles are sore, or will I risk injury? (The soreness is more like a hard-muscle charlie horse feeling than the burning of a pulled muscle.)
Part two of my question is whether anyone has any recommendations for how to accelerate recovery time. I've been massaging the muscles, which hurts but seems to make them feel better afterwards. But, beyond that, I'm not really sure what to do.

Replies

• craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    A heating pad for 15 minutes followed by an ice pack for 15 mins 2 hours per day. Also some SLOW, GENTLE stretching until the soreness is gone. I don't suggest "working through" it or jogging. Massage should help, too. If you're okay with taking medication, ibuprofen can assist with any inflammation that might be going on.

When you do start back to climbing stairs or jogging, make sure to stretch out the leg muscles gently but thoroughly before and after exercise. That will certainly keep this from happening this severely again.

Since the pain is bilateral (both legs) I assume it's not from something like a torn muscle or sprain.

I'd say give it another 5 days to a week before you try this again. If it's not better by then, with or without the treatments mentioned above, see your doctor.

:flowerforyou:
  • beabria
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! No, it's definitely not a sprain(s). I'll give the alternating heat/ice a try.
  • kmalacho
    kmalacho Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I would recommend slow, long walks for a few days. I find that gentle consistent movement helps me loosen up and combat muscle soreness. I second the previous poster's suggestions for ice/heat, light stretching and light massage.
  • bc2ct
    bc2ct Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Active recovery is a great way to ease out of delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS). Take a jog or a run or bike lightly for 30 minutes to help work through this. As for ice/heat... heat is great before exercise if you have tightness or a minor injury, ice is great for after exercise or during rest periods as it reduces inflammation (Heat Before, Ice After).
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    doing something will help you out more than doing nothing.

foam rolling
    drinking water.

and doing more of the thing that made you sore!!!
  • kitkatbar972
    Options
    Foam rolling has always helped me a lot with sore muscles.
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    doing something will help you out more than doing nothing.

foam rolling
    drinking water.

and doing more of the thing that made you sore!!!

This!

And I wouldn't really consider running stairs strength training, but great job nonetheless!
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Also... you have to remember that when you do a new activity, especially if you over do it, the tendons and ligaments take a beating as well. This is often the case when people have bad calf soreness -- particulary on the sides of the calves. They need rest, and not more activity... happens a lot to new runners.
  • AvsFreak
    AvsFreak Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Working out sore is fine. Just know the difference between DOMS and an injury. Make sure to eat lots of protein to help recover faster.
  • tweakycat
    tweakycat Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Epsom baths.
  • beabria
    Options
    Hey - thanks for all the great tips! My calves were feeling somewhat improved by the end of the day, so I did go for a jog/walk, but took it a little slower than normal. It doesn't seem to have made the soreness any worse (although I could tell they fatigued more quickly), and I felt better on the whole for having gotten in some activity. I don't have a foam roller, but I have a roller with little hard nubby bits and that's was I use for massaging - it's definitely helps a lot as did heat/cool packs. I don't have epsom salts, but I recall now hearing they can help. I'll have to get some for the future!
  • oneoddsock
    oneoddsock Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I find that a warm bath helps.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    If you are really sore, DO NOT PUSH IT!!! Maybe some mild walking, or treading water in a pool. I tore up my calf muscle once by pushing it too hard, and i was in serious pain for a week. Not worth it.
  • EdwardGates
    Options
    That was one heck of a workout for a first time. Good motivation!!! I bet you are sore just do the hot/cold packs, stretching and in a couple of days do some stairs again. Maybe do only 5 flights for a week, take a couple of days off (weekend) then do 10 flights the next week etc... Whenever you work muscles that aren't usually worked you will usually get some soreness. This will also happen if for instance you go from stair steps to jogging and push yourself. Different activities use different muscles. Keep up the motivation the soreness will go away. :smile:
  • jencroki
    jencroki Posts: 30
    Options
    Stretch and drink plenty of water :) also when you warm up the soreness tend to go away, so might be hard at the beginning but once you warm up you are going to be able to keep going! It takes a few days for the muscles to "get use to" if you stop, next time you re-start is going to hurt the same.
  • Rose6300
    Rose6300 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Also, don't forget to stretch after you climb those stairs. Just touch your toes for 30 seconds, then take a break, then do it again two more times. And lean against the wall with one leg straight and back and try to slowly stretch so you're touching (or almost touching) your heel to the floor. That'll solve 99% of the problem.
  • beabria
    Options
    Hey - just saw I'd missed some good suggestions after my last post - thanks! They all helped. A quick update, walking and little jogging seemed fine though my performance wasn't up to snuff. Good news, though, I can now do 21 flights (up all 14, down again, then up halfway) with far, far less soreness, and may try for 28 in another week.