How often to rotate weights routine?

Options
I have a new 4-day week weights routine that I've been following for about 4 weeks now: chest/triceps, back/biceps, legs/abs, shoulders.

I've read that it is a good idea to switch routines every couple of weeks, but the advice differs on how often. I've read that one should switch routines every 4 weeks, but I've also read 5, 6, 7 weeks and never. What's your take? I'm still seeing muscle gain so I'm tempted to stick with the current routine until I stop seeing results, but maybe that's not the right strategy.

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    A properly designed routine can last you a very long time. A 4-day split is not a good routine for a new lifter. Go with a full-body routine for at least 6 months, then you can consider going to an upper / lower split if it fits your goals (which you didn't state).
    And yes, i realize you're seeing results on your current workout. It's called "newbie gains". All routines produce some gains initially since you're starting from zero.. even bad routines.
  • farsteve
    farsteve Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Well of course there are a variety of answers and they all start with "It depends". Right now, I am doing a full body lifting with three different routine and three different rep schemes so there is a lot of variety just week to week. I can run this sort of routine for about 6 to maybe 7 weeks before I start to feel it is not working like it should. If I were doing a two routine scheme with different rep schemes then maybe 4 to 6 weeks.

It looks like you're doing a split body routine and each body part gets worked once maybe twice a week? So you're probably good for about a 4 - 6 week period so it looks like a change up is due BUT if you are still seeing good growth, then you could probably go a bit more but have another plan in your pocket so to speak.
  • farsteve
    farsteve Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    A properly designed routine can last you a very long time. A 4-day split is not a good routine for a new lifter. Go with a full-body routine for at least 6 months, then you can consider going to an upper / lower split if it fits your goals (which you didn't state).
    And yes, i realize you're seeing results on your current workout. It's called "newbie gains". All routines produce some gains initially since you're starting from zero.. even bad routines.

I am sorry I must disagree here. No one should do the same lifting routine for 4 - 6 months.

I like full body routines too, but that does not mean that a 4 day split will not work for someone else, even if it's a new lifter and Jollybeard did not indicate he was a novice, he simply said, "I have a new 4-day week weights routine...".
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I am sorry I must disagree here. No one should do the same lifting routine for 4 - 6 months.

I like full body routines too, but that does not mean that a 4 day split will not work for someone else, even if it's a new lifter and Jollybeard did not indicate he was a novice, he simply said, "I have a new 4-day week weights routine...".

been working for body builders for years.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

been working for body builders for years.
    Yep.
  • robllano
    robllano Posts: 2
    Options
    It all depends. A program for a new lifter will work for longer than the same program would for a seasoned vet...That being said, 6 months is probably too long both from a programming standpoint, and from a mental/boredom standpoint. For someone who's been around for a while, I'd say 4-6 weeks. For a beginner lifter, I'd say more like 8-12 weeks. Also, for a beginner, I'd work on really sound fundamentals, and something like Starting Strength, to learn the basic lifts. If you're going hard after those lifts, and keeping your diet in check, the weight will definitely come off.