Controlling oneself at restaurants and family dinners

2»

Replies

• amw5471
    amw5471 Posts: 111 Member
    I was not raised on the "clean your plate" mentality but remember, if you don't clean your plate you have leftovers for tomorrow! And if you can turn a $20 meal into two meals you're being more fiscally responsible and you get to enjoy the food twice.
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    I was not raised on the "clean your plate" mentality but remember, if you don't clean your plate you have leftovers for tomorrow! And if you can turn a $20 meal into two meals you're being more fiscally responsible and you get to enjoy the food twice.

Finally someone that thinks like me. I was thinking that I was the only person on MFP that ever ate leftovers. I don't mind at all getting a big portion. Sometimes I can get 3 meals out of one! I see that as a win win situation.
  • amw5471
    I was a broke college student and now I am a broke entry level employee! I love when my parents take me out for dinner and I get lots of leftovers!! And when I do go out with friends for birthdays or things I feel better about the extra expense to go out.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I do not usually like taking leftovers home with me. I am more likely to order items a la carte or get something rather small and eat it all.

I definitely do not care for the "eat before you go" approach...I'd rather tackle the whole situation from the perspective of "What CAN I eat that is worth it to me?" rather than, "How can I just not eat?"

One thing I do is eat tiny meals for breakfast and lunch if I know I am going out for dinner. This week I am going out with my girlfriends and I WILL want a couple of drinks and an appetizer (as my entrée) so that's gonna be about 800-900 calorie dinner versus my usual 500-600. I'll probably have something like a bean sprout omelet with Sriracha and coffee for breakfast (well under 200 cal) and for lunch a bunch of veggies, 1/8 cup of cocoa almonds, Laughing Cow cheese wedge and hot flavored tea. So even with no opportunity to exercise (working all day and going straight to the pub) I will stay within my calories.

At family gatherings I generally zone in on a couple of things to eat. Of course if there's a veggie or fruit tray that is a good place to start. I am likely to eat some protein (usually meat or deviled eggs) and indulge in ONE thing if there are desserts/baked goods. I'm sort of a spaz and can have a silly personality so I occasionally make a show of explaining to the host how deeply I love frosting and don't care for any cake or ice cream, I'd just love to have that purple rosette from the corner of Maud's birthday cake. It makes people feel comfortable especially if they eat very indulgently and know that I eat lighter.

The no chip rule with Mexican food is also a habit of mine. I am not a huge chips n' salsa person at all so that's really easy for me. Same thing with bread, rolls, and breadsticks. I am NOT a low carb-er or anything, but those just aren't worth it to me. A delicious slice of homemade wheat crust pizza? A yummy spicy pasta seafood dish? Worth it. Reheated bread at Outback? Not worth it.
  • If I know I'm going to a specific restaurant, I try to look up a nutrition menu ahead of time so I know what I can get and still be within my macros/calories. If not, then I wing it and also drink tons of water.

As for when I visit my family, they usually eat pretty healthy although not ketogenic, which is what I do, so I just eat what I am able to.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    I don't get to go out often, so when I do I tend to not worry about it. I eat what I want, drink what I want, and enjoy myself.
  • LCFulmer
    LCFulmer Posts: 183 Member
    It’s all MENTAL.... you can do anything you set your mind to doing. I was raised in the "clean your plate because there are starving kids in XYZ country" household... well guess what; not to sound cold but they will still be starving if I don't clean my plate, me cleaning my plate don’t stop them from hunger… awesome charities & mission groups that go out to them and feed them do. I've learned to appreciate good health over not wasting food. So when I go out I get a high calorie burn workout in first, plan my meal second, last I bring home leftovers to eat the following day. When I'm at family house I get a mean workout in first and then when I'm there, I do visual portion control i.e. try to get single servings and drink plenty of water.
  • markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member

Finally someone that thinks like me. I was thinking that I was the only person on MFP that ever ate leftovers. I don't mind at all getting a big portion. Sometimes I can get 3 meals out of one! I see that as a win win situation.

Now, this is interesting; two things to quote from one post!

I'm from the "clean your plate" school too. Not eating everything is a psychological hurdle to overcome and this is how I did it::

"Self, you've simply got to decide that you won't do it anymore. That was then,this is now. You were a darling child with chubby cheeks. Now you're an overweight adult who is trying to reign it in. It's time to act like it!" I can get pretty hard on myself sometimes, too.

Once you've made that decision, scooping out tomorrow's lunch before tonight's dinner is pretty easy.

As for restaurants, they sell repeat business with huge portions and great flavor. To get great flavors, they liberally use fats, salts, spices and MSG. You can also get amazing flavor by having a trained chef in the kitchen but, it's much cheaper to add the Big 4 to a meal than sending a line cook to culinary school. I avoid anything deep fried or with "manly man" portions. Why do I need 2000 calories on one plate? I order vegetables instead of starch, broth soup instead of cream soup and, I never order a dessert for only myself. Sometimes I'll order a senior meal. (Most places will let you order one regardless of your age.) Gravy on the side and eaten the same way you eat salad dressing, just dip your fork. If you put all of this together you can enjoy a restaurant meal without using two days of calories to do it.

Yesterday for lunch, we were in a national chain sports bar. I ordered a grilled chicken sandwich with bacon, mushrooms and cheese. (Tasty!) I cheated this one by tearing of the bottom bun before taking bites. I ended up with the bottom bun fragments and much of the top bun on the plate. I also had steamed green beans instead of fries and a glass of water to drink. when I tallied up the ingredients, the meal was well under 500 calories. (If you check my food diary you'll see 611 for lunch. I also snagged two pieces of fried shrimp from my wife but I went shopping with her afterwards. Not sure if that's called pay-back or paying it forward!)

Final tip: Have the waiter clear your plate ASAP. If it's not there, you can't pick at it.
  • markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    Family gatherings: Your willpower will be drained at the sight of your auntie's apple pie, your uncle's BBQ ribs, Mom's lasagna and, the incredible, wonderful smells and a house full of family laughing about the good times! I want to grab a plate just thinking about it.

There is the problem, the food is part of the good time. Here are three things that may help:

I give myself some grace before showing up. I know that I'm probably going to eat more than I normally would so I figure that's how its going to go. Now, I don't have to beat myself up afterwards. I just have to get back on track and continue to press on towards my goal. Blowing one day with 600 extra calories won't kill me.

I set a time limit, say an hour, just to see if my will power will make it. If I'm fighting not to eat everything in sight during the first hour, it's time to leave. Love you folks but, gotta go.

Do something active while you're there. You might take a short walk with your aunt or throw a football with your nephew. It will clear your head and help you focus on your long term goals.

My hope is that these tricks will help you have the strength to press on towards the victory.
  • amw5471
    One more add in for any situation, I know when my family is going out for pizza later that day or even during the week I will try to create a little extra wiggle room so I can enjoy myself. I try to eat well 80% of the time and that 20% includes a family meal or night out. Everyone repeats this but losing weight is a lifestyle change. You don't want to say no to everything you enjoy for the rest of your life. Just practice moderation.
  • wertgirlfor
    wertgirlfor Posts: 161 Member
    I don't get to go out often, so when I do I tend to not worry about it. I eat what I want, drink what I want, and enjoy myself.

I feel the same way. I won't order the giant deep fried everything, but I won't deprive myself. One evening won't make me gain all my weight back lol.
  • timmemin
    timmemin Posts: 72 Member
    I go in with a plan. I try to pre-log everything so I don't surprise myself and lose focus. If I'm really looking forward to something guilt-worthy, I make time for exercise. I'm the same way, I can eat and its hard to say no to a plate full of yummy food. I just recognize what I can have and what I can't ahead of time, that way I'm not disappointed.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    I usually don't want leftovers after I eat at a restaurant (why eat the unhealthy food twice?), so what I do (if I have the self control --;) is portion out the serving I want to have that night, and then dump salt, pepper, whatever all over what I shouldn't be eating.

There you go, all done.

This makes no sense to me.....not all food in a restaurant has to be unhealthy, and why waste food??
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    One more add in for any situation, I know when my family is going out for pizza later that day or even during the week I will try to create a little extra wiggle room so I can enjoy myself. I try to eat well 80% of the time and that 20% includes a family meal or night out. Everyone repeats this but losing weight is a lifestyle change. You don't want to say no to everything you enjoy for the rest of your life. Just practice moderation.

I like this a lot, and I agree. Another nice option, if you have a partner or friend who is watching their calories and/or nutritional intake it can be nice to split a meal. My husband and I unexpectedly went out for pizza while on a road trip with friends Saturday night and we shared a 10" pizza between the two of us that was a fairly thin crust with just veggies and slivered almonds Stayed under our calories and didn't even go over on sodium.