Sources of protein?!

Options
Hello all! I am always way short on my protein at the end of the day. (like 30g short, ugh!) I'm not an egg eater. Any advice on things high in protein and relatively low on carbs and fat? Any and all help is much much much appreciated. Thank you and good luck in your quest for a happier, healthier you! xo

Replies

• explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast, protein powder, and fat free cheese are probably your 3 best bets.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I just attacked part of your question for my own lunch today. I have walnuts for my salad (and as it turns out they are a good choice!). For 100grams, they have 14g cab and 15g protein, with 65g fat. Of all the other nuts that popped up, almonds were the only other ones that had more protein than carbs. Per 100g, almonds have 20g carbs, 21g protein and 51g fat, so they are better than walnuts.

Other than that, I am considering buying roast beef and just eating it randomly throughout the day....
  • newgmartin
    newgmartin Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If you like fish and seafood, those are excellent low fat/good fat and no carb protein sources. Salmon, shrimp, haddock, all of those are quick and easy to prep.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt, fat free cheese and skim milk.

I can eat two yoplait source greek yogurts for 100cals and 16g of protien...
  • amm8589
    amm8589 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    greek yogurt, fat free cheese and skim milk.

I can eat two yoplait source greek yogurts for 100cals and 16g of protien...

Exactly what I was thinking. Also, chicken breast and fish.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    steak, steak and then a side of steak.

and milk.
  • Joedusto350
    Options
    Almonds and oatmeal are both slow burning proteins..
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Very lean ground turkey (97/3)
    Chicken breast
    Protein Powder
    Tilapia
  • JustT1m
    JustT1m Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Soy nuts
  • smaug5ever
    Options
    Most nuts are really good, peanuts and almonds and stuff.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Canned tuna in water.
    Cottage cheese.
  • JonnyQwest
    JonnyQwest Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I am living on protein powder during the day because its so easy to do....get a high quality Whey Protein Isolate (isolate is easier to mix with water and it has less fat so pure protein) like Met-Rx or something like that......I take a scoop of it mix with water and just a LITTLE bit of OJ-just enough sugar to help your body metabolize it. I do this when I wake up, right before my workout and right after. It REALLY helps keep my appetite to a minimum during the day and I feel like my workouts have gotten alot better as well. I dont bother trying to make it taste good...just throw it an a cup mix with water, a little juice and stir it up just enough to get it down in a few gulps....any residue can be consumed by adding a little more water and re-stirring.
  • littlebutlean
    littlebutlean Posts: 2,159 Member
    Options
    This listen taken from http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/foods-highest-in-protein.php

They are in order of highest protein to calorie ratio:

#1: Turkey Breast (and Chicken Breast)
    #2: Fish (Tuna, Salmon, Halibut)
    #3: Cheese (Non-fat Mozzarella)
    #4: Pork Loin (Chops)
    #5: Lean Beef and Veal (Low Fat)
    #6: Tofu
    #7: Beans (Mature Soy Beans)
    #8: Eggs (Especially Egg Whites)
    #9: Yogurt, Milk, and Soymilk
    #10: Nuts and Seeds (Pumpkin, Squash, and Watermelon Seeds, Peanuts, Almonds)
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    There's a good list here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/926789-protein-sources
    Most nuts are really good, peanuts and almonds and stuff.
    I really see nuts as a good fat source, with a little protein along for the ride.
  • timbrom
    timbrom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Animals.

Stuff that comes from animals.
  • aalbert_82
    aalbert_82 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt. You can get 0% if you're running out of your allowance for fats.
    Tuna
  • stephcbms
    stephcbms Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I like Dry Roasted Edamame, 1/4 cup is 14g of protein. I like to mix the lightly salted, spicy wasabi with almonds for a snack . I also use cottage cheese and hard boiled eggs alot too.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I like Fage 2 percent.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Beans, greek yogurt, nuts, soy (edamame/soynuts), eggs (or just whites for fat free) and any meat (just watch the fat and sodium)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    aw hell.

I see no bacon. damn- how did I miss that!