addicted to cottage cheese

Options
rdkstar
rdkstar Posts: 260 Member
First, I will start out that I am having normal meals. Weighing what I eat and watching my macros.

However, I am completely craving cottage cheese now. It has become my go to snack if it fits my requirements. Usually having 2 or more cup of it a day. Anyone else having something like this? Could it be that I'm missing some nutrient that the cottage cheese is filling?

Replies

• Colorfan
    Colorfan Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese is so good though.

Its mostly protein, so are you getting enough protein from your meals? I suggest trying fat free, plain greek yogurt. Preferably something with at least 18 grams of protein per 8 ounces. Then just squirt in some fruit flavored mio, or some honey. Its got less calories than cottage cheese (so you can eat more of it) and its loaded with as much protein.
  • helpfit101
    helpfit101 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Don't overthink it.
  • michellewelch2010
    michellewelch2010 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    First, I will start out that I am having normal meals. Weighing what I eat and watching my macros.

However, I am completely craving cottage cheese now. It has become my go to snack if it fits my requirements. Usually having 2 or more cup of it a day. Anyone else having something like this? Could it be that I'm missing some nutrient that the cottage cheese is filling?

Are you craving salt maybe?
  • PatheticNoetic
    PatheticNoetic Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I could never get into this food item. As a child it was often the most horrifying thing to find on my plate. What do I do with that??
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I could never get into this food item. As a child it was often the most horrifying thing to find on my plate. What do I do with that??

Nothing. Someone already ate it :tongue:
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    SALT there is a ton of salt in cottage cheese..

otherwise, switch to skim-fat free and include it as part of your macros, and you will be ok , OR buy the single serving sizecups
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options

Like liver, give it to the dog :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I went through a very long phase of being addicted to Greek yogurt. It was my goto snack and even though I was eating well, I'd still have it multiple times per day. I finally had to do the unthinkable and switch from regular, full fat to the 2% kind, just so I could eat it more often without my fat and calories soaring. I've been on 2% for awhile and have curbed eating it down to not even always daily (however, I should mention that I've added daily whey shakes in that time too). Anyway, since I seem to have it under control, I've gone back to buying the full fat kind again and am hoping it won't get out of control again.

So, IF you aren't already on a reduced fat version, maybe try that for awhile, just to keep the cals down on all the volume of it. Eventually I think it'll pass.

Good luck. And remember, there are worse addictions.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Don't sweat it. I find I go through phases where I really crave some new thing I've found, and interest often wanes over time. Right now it's greek yogurt+frozen berries+grape nuts.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what I'm missing here. Cottage cheese is one of the better things you could be addicted to. As long as you are still hitting your calorie goals, I wouldn't sweat it.

Cottage cheese is very protein dense. I prefer the 1% variety.

I rely heavily on things like Greek yogurt and cottage cheese to get me to my protein goals. Seldom do I eat less than the entire tub of either.
  • supermysza
    supermysza Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese is my number one lunch :love: it's so quick to prepare, you can bring it with you, it's filling and good value for calories. And over here you can get it plain with no added salt so you can have a fruity version of it :smooched:
  • alexflynn011
    alexflynn011 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    CC + salt + pepper = yum!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Protein, salt and potassium, dairy is quite high in potassium.
    I used to crave it a lot, but now my thing is Quark because it is a good alternative to expensive Greek yoghurt, and can make a huge bowl of dessert when watered down a bit and mixed with pb2, stevia/agave/honey, little oatmeal and a small banana.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Don't overthink it.

QFT...
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    It's delicious and good for you. If you're on a "kick" and it makes you happy and it fits in your calories, do it.
  • FreshKrisKreash
    FreshKrisKreash Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to cottage cheese too! Cept I only have half a cup a day. It's so good isn't it?
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

Sounds like childhood trauma from bad cottage cheese. Try eating good cottage cheese like Friendship 4%. It's sooo tasty!
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    SALT there is a ton of salt in cottage cheese..

otherwise, switch to skim-fat free and include it as part of your macros, and you will be ok , OR buy the single serving sizecups

Or just keep enjoying normal 4% cottage cheese which is super healthy and still has a great macro profile.
  • angel_of_harmony
    angel_of_harmony Posts: 188 Member
    Options

This happened to me as well! I found that once I increased my protein that the cravings subsided. :)
  • blondie4287
    blondie4287 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I’m having plenty protein my diet and variety of fruits veg etc and I am OBSESSED with cottage cheese like I literally can’t eat enough of it. Like others have said, If it fits in with your daily allowance then what’s the problem. I buy the low fat one and put 15g of honey on it and eat it out the tub with a spoon, sometimes with some chopped up apple too. Might just be a phase I’m going through but don’t overthink it.