greek yogurt instead of mayo in chicken salad?

Options
Has anyone ever tried this? If so, how did you like it in comparison? I'm a little nervous about trying it.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have only substituted greek yogurt for sour cream...can't imagine in chicken salad etc.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I do this for Tuna fish. kI think it's fine. I have it plain though and I'm a "light on the mayo" kind of person wheN I make my tuna- so maybe a tablespoon for the whole kitten kaboodle so it works just fine for me. easy swap.
  • hathcoat
    hathcoat Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Use it often. You will like it. Just add a bit at a time until you get it where you want it. If you are looking for the same taste as the processed stuff, you will be disappointed. BUT :-) Mantra time: you want to eat clean, you want to be healthy, these NEW tastes you will get used to. Everything new to me, I get over what I use to expect things to taste like, and actually enjoy knowing the things I eat now are "healthier" for me. Too much rant, anyway I like Greek in a lot of recipes. Hope you do too.!
  • jenniferhorn87
    jenniferhorn87 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have only substituted greek yogurt for sour cream...can't imagine in chicken salad etc.

That's exactly what I was thinking. I could definitely see substituting it for sour cream, but apparently there are a lot of people using it for chicken salad. Not sure if it's worth the calories I'd be saving. I don't use that much mayo usually anyway. Globs of mayo gross me out.
  • JoRocka
    Options

That's exactly what I was thinking. I could definitely see substituting it for sour cream, but apparently there are a lot of people using it for chicken salad. Not sure if it's worth the calories I'd be saving. I don't use that much mayo usually anyway. Globs of mayo gross me out.

me to- I don't keep mayo in the house- realizing greek yogurt solved the problem for me was fab thing.
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I like it okay, but if you pre-make your chicken salad the night before it gets kind of watery by the time you go to eat it. That's all I noticed. I like it taste- and consistency-wise though.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

me to- I don't keep mayo in the house- realizing greek yogurt solved the problem for me was fab thing.

I don't use a lot of mayo either and it's light but greek yogurt would give it a zing that's for sure...I will try it next time I mix up my crab/salmon etc.
  • jenniferhorn87
    jenniferhorn87 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I was thinking of making just a single serving of chicken salad for dinner tonight and maybe I will try using the greek yogurt instead of the mayo. If I don't like it, I just won't do it again :)
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I make a chicken salad with labeneh (which is Arabic greek yoghurt..... if that makes sense lol) - not as a mayo substitute, just because it tastes nice

labeneh + a little cider vinegar OR lemon juice + a little dijon mustard + (if you want) chopped fresh mint and coreander... chop boiled chicken breast into cubes, mix the chicken cubes into the labaneh mix. eat as it is or with Lebanese flatbreads.
  • DavidHusky
    DavidHusky Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Once you mix in enough sriracha, its hard to tell that its greek yogurt instead of mayo ;)
  • bjmurphy102
    bjmurphy102 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I use this all the time for my mayo as well as I add avocado to it. if it's a high carb day (carb cycling) I will add grapes to it. I think it's great but I will attest that it's not for everyone.
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Once you mix in enough sriracha, its hard to tell that its greek yogurt instead of mayo ;)
    Word! Love me some sriracha. I do keep Blue Plate light mayo made with olive oil in the house for use on occasion, but I have really gotten to like Greek yogurt with my tuna. I find the fat free to be kind of watery for things like that and prefer the 2%. "Salads" are a great time to try new flavors...mustard, hot sauces, crunchy fruits and veggies, herbs. And you'll find out the real flavors of the food will shine through instead of being masked so much by the heavy mayo flavor.
  • markja
    markja Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is God's gift to controlling my eating. Anywhere you would use mayo or sour cream, stir it in!

I even like it with hot cereal: Try a 100 calorie portion of oatmeal, grits or whatever your fave is with a half cup of non-fat Greek yogurt. You can add pepper and spices if you'd rather have savory than sweet.

I actually think that GY is better on baked potatoes or Mexican food that sour cream. (It's funny when the non-diet people go after Greek yogurt instead of sour cream, too.)
  • chad_phillips1123
    chad_phillips1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I've tried Greek Yogurt in my tuna salad before and it was pretty good (I put other spices in mine usually, but GY does give it a zing).

I'm gonna have to try the baked potato:)
  • lyndabyh
    lyndabyh Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I use it for a chicken salad., I add a little apple cidar vinegar to it. Gives it a bit of a kick and thins it out a little.
  • msafunk
    msafunk Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried it for chicken salad, but I do it for tuna salad, and I think it turns out great-- especially with a bit of lemon-pepper flavor.

I'm in major need of a protein fix today, but my husband cringed when I suggested that I want tuna salad tonight. Maybe he'll be more into the idea of chicken salad.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I go to this place called The Pita Pit, it is sort of like Subway, but better. Anyway I always get a grilled chicken with veggies, and tatziki sauce which is a Greek yogurt with cucumber sauce. It's really good. I wouldn't hesitate to use that in chicken salad, I'd probably buy tatziki instead of plain yogurt.
  • fsucrack
    fsucrack Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I do not substitute greek yogurt in for Mayo, because I am not a big fan of greek yogurt in general. There are a few things that I have tried that I just dont like the taste of. I do however substitute avacado for mayo... try that instead if you are scared of the greek yogurt.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I haven't tried it for chicken salad, but I do it for tuna salad, and I think it turns out great-- especially with a bit of lemon-pepper flavor.

I'm in major need of a protein fix today, but my husband cringed when I suggested that I want tuna salad tonight. Maybe he'll be more into the idea of chicken salad.

I've been known to throw lemon pepper on top of canned tuna and eat it that way. Pretty much anything tuna + lemon pepper is a win.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,251 Member
    Options
    Avocado is my go to for chicken/tuna salad. I can't have mayo OR greek yogurt. I MAY be able to have regular yogurt, but I have not attempted it yet (medical condition that can cause pain and is VERY diet sensitive).

My new fav is tuna (low sodium), avocado, and hardboiled egg. Talk about Yum!