Am I wasting my time???

Options
So the other day I am at the gym minding my own business huffing and puffing along on the cybex arc trainer when I made the dreaded mistake of making eye contact with one of the gym's trainers. This appearently was an invitation for him to come over and critique my workout plan. It started out casually enough " Hi my name is ______.... would you like to throw hundreds of dollars at me so I can tell all the ways you have been working out incorrectly? WHAT???? you don't...... ok I will just tell you what you are doing wrong for free...." The small part of the conversation I was able to concentrate on (mostly I was concentrating on not dying on the cybex) he told me that I was basically wasting my time (at least the first 15 min of my cardio workout), because I didn't do my strength training first. I really prefer to do my cardio first. I don't really know why, but this is my comfort and I don't want to switch unless I have a really good reason to. Wasting the first 15 min would be a good enough reason as long as it is true. Can anyone advise me on this. Thanks in advance : )

Replies

• ladynocturne
    ladynocturne Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I see plenty of people warm up with cardio before weight training. He's just looking to make money, ignore him.

I guess it depends what you're trying to do, I assume that you're looking to lose weight.

If that is the case, a calorie deficit is all that is required, you don't even have to work out to achieve that. But it's better if you do, strength training helps maintain what lean muscle mass you currently have. Cardio is good for your heart and circulation and it also burns some additional calories, allowing you to eat more food.

15 mins isn't going to completely deplete your glycogen stores >>

Doesn't sound like a waste of time to me.
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    he is sort of correct. if you do cardio before hand you deplete glycogen stores that are needed for the strength training itself. effectively making your strength training program more difficult and possibly missing reps resulting in less over all work being performed. im not saying what you do is wrong, or to go throw money at him to help. just a bit of food for thought. maybe switch up a couple weeks and do strength training first and finish with cardio and see if it makes a difference in how you workouts go.
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I've heard the same - do strength training first to burn up your glycogen and build muscle, then do cardio to strengthen your heart and stamina and burn some fat stores.

Of course you can and should warm up before strength training to prepare your muscles for the work. I do 10 minutes of cardio for that.
  • aimladuke
    aimladuke Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I may sound really stupid, but what does "burn up glycogen" mean?
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I've heard the same - do strength training first to burn up your glycogen and build muscle, then do cardio to strengthen your heart and stamina and burn some fat stores.

Of course you can and should warm up before strength training to prepare your muscles for the work. I do 10 minutes of cardio for that.

Me too. I do a light burn on the elliptical for 10 minutes at a pretty good resistance to get my muscles moving, then weights for 30-40, then usually just do another 10-15 minute elliptical session. If you like lots of cardio, you might just wanna do them on the days you DONT weight lift.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    If your goal is to gain muscle mass most efficiently then it makes sense not to have a tough cardio session before you lift; you may be able to progress to heavier weights faster if all your energy is devoted to lifting. However, you are going to progress no matter what and I hardly think that a fifteen minute warm up is going to make a big difference. If you do it all the time it probably won't interfere at all. It is so rude and unhelpful to tell someone who is bettering themselves what they are doing wrong without giving them an alternative. The best way to exercise is the way you prefer, you are more likely to keep up with something you like to do or have a habit of doing.
  • wateryphoenix
    wateryphoenix Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    How hard is that 15 mins of cardio you do before your strength training? To me, 5-15 minutes can be warming up before starting on the weights. And then I do cardio afterwards. Honestly.....if you aren't going to do cardio at all unless you can do it beforehand.....keep doing it before. =P If it doesn't bother you, do it after. Whatever works best for you! At least you are doing it!

Btw, I am not a licensed anything. That is just my 2 cents as an out of shape person trying to get in shape. If I do a hardcore cardio workout beforehand, I'm not going to do as well with the weights.
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I prefer not to wear myself out before weight sessions. I usually spend a few minutes on a treadmill just get my heart pumping a little and feel "warm." But you may be stalling your progress in weights if you are spending lots of time and energy on cardio before weights. And then it would depend on what you are really trying to accomplish on either.

Don't pay the guy money.
  • aimladuke
    aimladuke Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I may have misunderstood the trainer, but i think he was saying I was wasting my time on the cardio because it takes 15 min to get my heartrate up to the "optimal" fat burning zone. (which I don't really believe) That it would be better to get my heart up doing my strength training not waste my cardio trying to get my heart rate up. My overall goal is to decrease body fat. I don't really care about gaining muscle other than that I know more muscle = better metabolism. I'm def. not trying to bulk up or anything.
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    How hard is that 15 mins of cardio you do before your strength training? To me, 5-15 minutes can be warming up before starting on the weights. And then I do cardio afterwards. Honestly.....if you aren't going to do cardio at all unless you can do it beforehand.....keep doing it before. =P If it doesn't bother you, do it after. Whatever works best for you! At least you are doing it!

Btw, I am not a licensed anything. That is just my 2 cents as an out of shape person trying to get in shape. If I do a hardcore cardio workout beforehand, I'm not going to do as well with the weights.

I would agree with this. If you prefer doing cardio first and your routine works for you, then there isnt a problem. I wouldnt worry about the fat burning zone for cardio - it should really be about burning calories (in a way that you enjoy).
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    I always do weights on a separate day. I saw someone put this in perspective this morning. He said - I don't want a barbell looming over me loaded with weight, after I have zapped my energy doing cardio.

Funny - but made me glad I lift on a separate day.

Sounds like you are doing a 15 minute warm up - so you're probably fine.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to throw by 2 cents in as well.

Weight training or strength training will help you retain your lean muscle mass while you continue to lose fat and decrease your body fat percentage. You will never be able to 'bulk up' without actively trying as well as eating at a surplus.

There are many many benefits to having muscle and increasing your strength. Please check the forums and take a look at the photos and stories of the women who lift. They do not look bulky at all.

If lifting is not something you don't want to do then that is fine, but don't not do it because you think it will make you 'bulk up' and look manly.

I also believe that having your heart rate in a fat burning zone has been proven to be a myth. What is the key for losing fat is eating at a deficit. Cardio just gives you more of a deficit and for heart health.

Keep up the good work.
  • MeyMey_91
    MeyMey_91 Posts: 17
    Options
    Doing cardio before strength training for those of us looking to shed some weight-i.e. fat. With cardio you raise your heart rate and it burns fat, even off the treadmill or elliptical your heart rate won't return to normal automatically so you'll still be burning calories while you do your strength training
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I may sound really stupid, but what does "burn up glycogen" mean?

Glycogen is what your body uses for fuel. There is only a finite amount in the gas tank, although eating replenishes it pretty quickly. If you do your cardio first, you will use some of the fuel that could go towards your lifting. Conventional wisdom suggests that you should warm up, do your weights, and then do your cardio. But if you are only doing 15min - I don't think its that big a deal.

cheers
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    There are just as many articles out there that will promote cardio before weights as there are that promote weights before cardio. The only true agreement between them is warm-up and stretching. So it really all comes down to what your preferences are in this. I personally do weights before cardio, IF I do cardio on the same day. And that is just because I lift heavy so I want to focus the vast amount of energy into lifting, then if I cardio it is just an easy 2-3 mile run or maybe a 1000 meter slow swim.
  • Heyyleigh
    Heyyleigh Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    All good points and I am sure everyone is correct, but bottom line- the fact you are in a gym doing things to improve yourself is great! I say screw what others think and do your thang- I think I am always doing something wrong according to someone- you know. Sometimes I am just tired. But I am there and trying to bang it out. Stay strong and carry on! You are never wasting your time!
  • Joanne_happygramma
    Joanne_happygramma Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Doing cardio before strength training for those of us looking to shed some weight-i.e. fat. With cardio you raise your heart rate and it burns fat, even off the treadmill or elliptical your heart rate won't return to normal automatically so you'll still be burning calories while you do your strength training

This is exactly what I was told by one of the trainers in my gym (after I paid extra :wink: ) Just enough on the elliptical to bring up the heart rate before strength training. Then back for another 20 minutes at least after the strength circuit.
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I'm on the weights before cardio so that I'm at my strongest first before my muscles fatigue. I've been told that's what to do and I believe its right because if I do longer than my five minute cardio warm up it starts getting tiring and weights are exhausting!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    If you're working out, you're not wasting your time. Workouts are personal preference dependent on goals trying to be attained. As many mentioned, if muscle and toning it up are important to you, then you probably should lift first. If not, then doing first is fine. It's unlikely that anyone will deplete their glycogen stores to the point that any lifting will be ineffective, however the longer you workout, the more fatigue sets in and that does affect your workouts.
    But just remember, working out if for fitness and health. If weight loss is your goal, that have much more to do with calorie deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    I warm up on elliptical or bike for 5-10 minutes prior to strength training. As it's a warm up, I'm not out of breath or sweating up a storm.