Gym Virgin

Options
Hi,

I have just joined a gym which I'm excited about, but I have no idea where to start with how long i should go on each machine/ which ones should I use for best results etc. I've had an induction so I know how to use them, I just don't know how to write myself a plan, or find one online! any suggestions?

Replies

• DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Pinterest!
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Does your gym offer group fitness classes? Those are really fun, and great for beginners =)

Often gyms will have free personal training sessions offered as part of your sign-up deal. You could take advantage of this session and have the trainer show you some basic strength moves that you can incorporate to your routine.
  • archaichoney
    archaichoney Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Lift. Look into 5x5 program. Feck the machines. I enjoyed Blaha 5x5... Google is your friend.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Lift. Look into 5x5 program. Feck the machines. I enjoyed Blaha 5x5... Google is your friend.

This is solid advice too. Lifting will dramatically improve your body compostition, and change the way you look for the better.

I would suggest something like "Starting Strength" as an alternate if you wanted to lift.
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid of the free weights section, best part of the gym!!

See if there are trainers who can develop a program for you? My gym makes 12 week plans for £12. I'm still relatively novice but now I go with a plan and know exactly what to do.
  • fetchfury
    fetchfury Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    thanks, great advice guys! x
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    most gyms give you an orientation. I had an hour with a personal trainer to show me around and I could get him to show me how to use equipment I was unfamiliar with.