Having trouble eating back burned calories

Options
How important is eating back the calories you burned? I'm burning around 500+ a day from Insanity .. I eat before I work out(toast w almond butter/half banana) protein shake after I work out, and still have a healthy lunch and dinner.... I'm eating when I'm hinge drinking tons of water --- still having trouble eating those calories back. I eat whole grain breads/rice.. Tons of fruit and veggies .. Turkey,chicken,fish,venison, beef....eggs/tuna... Super clean in my opinion. Will I really my see results on the scale of I continue not eating back calories burned ?

Replies

• chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I never do....it works for me
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    The less fat you have to lose the more important it is to fuel that activity. Obese individuals can sustain large deficits without much in the way of adverse impact for much longer than leaner people. As you lean out, your body will simply start burning up more muscle to compensate for the fact that it doesn't have the fat stores to burn and muscle requires a lot of energy...so bye bye.

To boot, inadequately fueling your body is detrimental to fitness performance as well as recovery. Regular moderate to vigorous exercise is very good for you...but it also breaks down the body big time and your body requires energy (calories) and nutrients to repair.

That said, how are you coming up with your calorie burn and how precise are you with intake? These are two very important things to consider as most people generally underestimate their intake and overestimate burn.

Also, what's your fat intake like? Most people who have difficulty meeting rather paltry calorie goals have gone overboard in cutting out fat. Dietary fat is very essential to proper nutrition. Just cooking with a bit of olive oil can add 100 calories or so without adding a ton of volume. 1 measly ounce of almonds is 160 calories and super for the heart. Don't eat "diet food"...avoid no fat/low fat foods and just eat real food and you will have no issue hitting your calorie goals.
  • fitandGLAM
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! My fat is usually at around 30%. (Almond butter, avocado, EVOO, almonds)
    I don't eat anything "low fat" or any type of diet food. I measure all of my food. If anything I'm underestimating calorie burn. I need to invest in a HRM to be sure, but until then I log my Height/weight and insanity work out in to the insanity calorie burn website. I think I'm burning more than I log. I'm not eating much dairy if any at all. Maybe 1 slice of cheese a week. I use unsweetened almond milk for my old fashioned oatmeal/ protein shakes. I noticed dairy was making me feel bloated/messing up my skin. With out dairy my skin has been glowing, and I rarely if ever feel bloated. Considering adding some Greek yogurt or cottage cheese to my diet for extra protein. I feel like I eat enough meals/snacks throughout the day and I always eat if I'm hungry. So I was just concerned when I finish the day and my net calories are only 900. IDK I'm an athlete and love working out and feeling great/eating clean but this whole logging thing is quite stressful/tedious. I didn't log at all last spring and still saw great results. I guess it's all about trial and error.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! My fat is usually at around 30%. (Almond butter, avocado, EVOO, almonds)
    I don't eat anything "low fat" or any type of diet food. I measure all of my food. If anything I'm underestimating calorie burn. I need to invest in a HRM to be sure, but until then I log my Height/weight and insanity work out in to the insanity calorie burn website. I think I'm burning more than I log. I'm not eating much dairy if any at all. Maybe 1 slice of cheese a week. I use unsweetened almond milk for my old fashioned oatmeal/ protein shakes. I noticed dairy was making me feel bloated/messing up my skin. With out dairy my skin has been glowing, and I rarely if ever feel bloated. Considering adding some Greek yogurt or cottage cheese to my diet for extra protein. I feel like I eat enough meals/snacks throughout the day and I always eat if I'm hungry. So I was just concerned when I finish the day and my net calories are only 900. IDK I'm an athlete and love working out and feeling great/eating clean but this whole logging thing is quite stressful/tedious. I didn't log at all last spring and still saw great results. I guess it's all about trial and error.

Athletes don't endure on 900 net calories ... it simply isn't enough intake to maintain an athlete's body.
  • fitandGLAM
    Options
    Ok I'm glad you're the judge of what an athlete is. I played basketball accross the country for years and could have played in college if I wanted to. If you don't have anything to say about my post then don't comment on it. I'm truly annoyed by people like you on this site
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    So I was just concerned when I finish the day and my net calories are only 900.
    Ok I'm glad you're the judge of what an athlete is. I played basketball accross the country for years and could have played in college if I wanted to. If you don't have anything to say about my post then don't comment on it. I'm truly annoyed by people like you on this site
    :huh: Wow - short fuse? Truly annoyed by "people like you on this site" - what, the ones who offer good advice?? Sounds like a case of the hangries to me.

Athlete or not, 900 net cals ain't enough. You need to find a way to get the proper amount of calories into your body or you're headed for problems down the road. You yourself said that you are "concerned when I finish the day and my net calories are only 900". And then you got pissed off because someone agreed that it's something to be concerned about?

Eat more. Nuts, nut butters, avocados, olive and coconut oils, etc. It's not hard. I lose on 1800-2000 calories a day, goals which I have no problem meeting on a regular basis.

And if you ask for advice, don't get mad when people give you answers that you don't want to hear. There are a lot of people on this board with a LOT of great advice and info to offer. They don't work for MFP, they get nothing in return (other that told they are mean quite often! :tongue: ), they just want to help people out. Don't be so quick to reject it.