Whats a good dinner option as far as eating out goes?

Options
Tonight is just a night i wanna grab something fast or go sit down and eat, i just dont wanna cook tonight but what is a good place to go to and what should i get that is both satisfying, hearty and healthy, is there any fast food options? or a restaurant that has good choice. Thanks guys!!

Replies

• DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    You can find options that fit your goals pretty much anywhere. What's close/convenient? Look up their menu online and see what your choices are.
  • kresannhutman
    Options
    bake or broiled fish is always a good choice and remember do two vegs rather than potato
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I've found that the large grocery stores that have a dine in area, usually attached to their deli, now have a good selection of lean protein on their salad bars. Or, you can buy one piece of chicken from the hot food counter and eat that with a huge salad with some low fat dressing.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Anything that fits into your calorie goal.

Tons of restaurants have a 500 calorie & under menu.
    McDonald's lists their calories right on their menu.
    Most chain restaurants, fast food or otherwise lists their nutritional information on their websites. Plan ahead what you're going to get, fit it into your calorie goal, eat it and enjoy.
  • brandiegirl16
    brandiegirl16 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    the food is dependent on your taste. I did however want to give you one of my tips when dining out.

when you order your food, ask for a to-go box when you are being served. Immediately put half of your food into the box and put it away. out of mind out of sight.. you will have lunch/dinner for the next day. Most out to eat places give you over 2 portion sizes of food, you will set yourself up for success by getting it off your plate. We are mindless eaters, if you are in conversation, you won't even realize your plate is empty at the end of the outing.

see if the restaurant has a website.. maybe you can plan in advance nutritional information to fit your calorie needs for the day. Most of the chain places offer this as an option online.

Remember, if you feel you have indulged too much.. you can always do additional workout to burn away those additional calories for the week. Don't deprive yourself, it is one night, you deserve to enjoy yourself.. and maintain a healthy relationship with food, know moderation is the key to success and set yourself up that way.

best of luck!
  • expressre
    expressre Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My go to are

-Greek food (Greek salad with meat, Gyro)
    -Chinese (steamed chicken and snow peas or any other vegetables)
    -Chipotle Burrito Bowl
    -Salads from Mexican places
    -Subway Salad
    -Pizza (2 slices isn't so bad)
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Tonight is just a night i wanna grab something fast or go sit down and eat, i just dont wanna cook tonight but what is a good place to go to and what should i get that is both satisfying, hearty and healthy, is there any fast food options? or a restaurant that has good choice. Thanks guys!!

Surprisingly, unless you get a simple side salad with an oil based dressing, salads tend to be heavy in calories. Many think that just because it's a salad that it will be healthy. I went to Wendy's with the family and ordered the small chili and a 4-piece spicy chicken nugget. Filled me up on only 350 calories.

If you go to a place with a kid's menu, then order off of that. They tend to be smaller in portion size, taste good, and offer milk and fruit instead of processed desserts or sugary drinks. Or many restaurants offer healthier options or offer a "value menu" that is usually smaller in portion. Look for those and you'll be good to go!

ETA: Forgot to mention the Wendy's salad is usually around 300 calories or more. Depending on the kind. Just some food for thought!
  • LoriKi2
    LoriKi2 Posts: 5
    Options
    Putting half the meal in a to go box as soon as you get the meal works great! I do that too.

Also, look for things that are grilled and ask for all the sauces on the side. Then use only a tiny portion of the sauce - most of the time, I find I don't need any at all. Many restaurants have dinners that are "low calorie" under 500 or 600, if I don't see that on the menu, I tell the waitress/waiter that I'm on a diet and ask for help, they are good at pointing out low calorie options.

Salads are always great - with dressing on the side. I do steer away from salads with things like candied nuts tho.
  • unbalanced1
    unbalanced1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Subway double chopped chicken salad no dressing and all the veggies. It's huge