Ball of foot going numb on elliptical?

Options
Every time I'm on the elliptical (I typically do 30-40 minute workouts), the ball of my foot goes numb - on both feet. Anybody know what could be causing this? Could it be my shoes? I currently wear a pair of Nike Air Pegasus. I know it's not due to them being too tight, but maybe they just aren't the right shoes for that type of workout. Any help would be appreciated - thanks!

Replies

• player30
    player30 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I generally do an hour, and the balls of my feet go numb also. They do also on a stationary bike and a real bike. On the elliptical, I walk in it for a bit rather than just keeping my feet firm on it, Also I squinch my toes and that helps. I believe it is a constant pressure on a nerve in the foot that causes the numbness.
  • Lizabelle1212
    Lizabelle1212 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that makes sense - just annoying! Guess I just need to switch it up more to avoid that happening. It gets uncomfortable lol I vary the speed/resistance/intensity throughout the workout (doing more of an interval workout, I guess) and have noticed it eases up slightly on the less intense intervals. Thanks for the reply!
  • animalldy
    animalldy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    This happens to me sometimes too, I alternate between forwards and backwards and that might help to switch up the pressure points. I also lace my shoes not as tight as when I run or do a jumping/bodyweight workout.
  • dpvike80
    dpvike80 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    For me its a circulation thing I think. When I feel it coming on, I will wiggle and scrunch up my toes repeatedly. This seems to help for me.
  • katierrt
    katierrt Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    mine does that too, I just pick up one leg and ride it out for about a minute then switch. Sometimes I just hop off for a minute and walk around.
  • Rochester_mom
    Rochester_mom Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    This happens to me ALL the time on the elliptical. My toes and ball of my foot go numb. I find that when I lean back on my heels it helps relieve pressure and the feeling comes back a bit.
  • what_lola_wants
    what_lola_wants Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Wondering if the front part of your shoes are too tight ?
  • rachelg145
    rachelg145 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Used to happen to me when I used the type of elliptical that has the swinging arms and the grooved foot basins. For some reason that style of elliptical seems to have the foot area further apart side to side and also has those raised ridges and grooves for foot grip like you're going to fly off the darn thing if they aren't there. I use the one that just does incline/decline/resistance and elliptical motion without arm things swinging and that never bothers my feet. There's less going on where your foot goes/it's smoother and I swear the foot things are closer together so I'm in more of a regular gate vs. a wide stance which can't be balanced for my feet. If your gym has both kinds try the other. I have also been wearing the nike gym shoes that have the slipper-like style with the memory foam bottom so maybe that has helped too.

Try walking on the treadmill at varying inclines (swing your arms, don't hold on for dear life) if your feet keep bothering you. If you stay between 10 and 15 and vary your speed accordingly you'll get a solid workout. And maybe you'll be able to feel your feet when you get off ;)
  • samspam1023
    samspam1023 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    This happens to me no matter how much I move my feet or loosen my laces. I'm about ready to give up on the elliptical and stick with other cardio.
  • SusanUW83
    SusanUW83 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue with elliptical, nordic trac, as well as bike pedals when I'm in pedal clips. I have found that with toe clips that if my pedals have a wider base there is less pressure in one place on my feet so it's likely nerve pressure. I found this article too. http://www.ellipticalhome.com/elliptical-trainer-sleepy-foot-article.html
  • shelltherunner
    shelltherunner Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    This happens to me when I use the elliptical or go for runs. I have searched for years for a solution and what finally helped me was Swiftkick compression socks. Well, it is helping when I run anyway! Since i am training for a half I have not spent time on the elliptical.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Oh, My GAWD! That happens to me too. I hate it! I've been avoiding it because of that. My sneakers are good, too!
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Try loosening the laces near your toes. This happens to me all the time and the only relief I have found is to loosen my laces and try to use my heel more often. Essentially when on the elliptical you are pushing with your ball/toe that's why they get pins and needles. Just be aware of it and try to shift the weight on your feet so that you aren't putting too much pressure on the ball
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    There's a tendency to keep the pressure on your toe while using this machine, like people also do when riding a bike. But like a spin instructor will tell you, USE THOSE HAM STRINGS! That means pushing and pulling the pedal/foot pad and keeping your heel down. Give it a try. Keep your heel down while using the elypitcal and you well reduce pressure on the ball of your feet and reduce overuse of the quadriceps. You'll feel the burn more in the back of your leg, hamstrings, and in your butt! and who doesn't like butt burn?

I can't believe I'm the first to recommend this. It's that simple :) heel down.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Used to happen to me all the time regardless of my shoes. Usually I'd just go backwards for a couple minutes and that would shift my weight and they would be better for a while.