Question about Iron :)

Options
Hey,
I know red meat contains alot of iron, but i don't like red meat - not sure why just never been able to stand the smell or even the sight so just wondering if there are any substitutes i can have?

Replies

• JaniePapageorgio
    JaniePapageorgio Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Egg yolks, dark leafy greens, oysters, clams, organ meat, artichokes, beans and lentils all have significant iron.
  • mbharper14
    Options
    Thank you :):)
  • 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I know you don't like meat, so ignore those---Just googled and from WebMD and found the TOP TEN IRON RICH FOODS:
    "Red meat
    Egg yolks
    Dark, leafy greens (spinach, collards)
    Dried fruit (prunes, raisins)
    Iron-enriched cereals and grains (check the labels)
    Mollusks (oysters, clams, scallops)
    Turkey or chicken giblets
    Beans, lentils, chick peas and soybeans
    Liver
    Artichokes

And here's a tip: If you eat iron-rich foods along with foods that provide plenty of vitamin C, your body can better absorb the iron."

WOW those two posts were made while I was typing!!!
  • LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Get a cast iron pan
  • cqoconnell
    cqoconnell Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm pescetarian (vegetarian who eats fish) so I usually get my iron through spinach, kale, beans, lentils, eggs, quinoa, clams, oysters, salmon, iron enriched tofu, & iron enriched cereal. On days I don't make it to 100% through my foods, I take a multivitamin (http://www.gnc.com/GNC-Ultra-Mega-Green-Womens/product.jsp?productId=11978945). But I have no trouble meeting my 100% iron on days I start with iron enriched cereal. Also, cooking things in a cast iron pan is another great way to get more iron.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    I measure out one cup of the Honey Roasted Honey Bunches of Oats cereal, put it in a bag, and snack on it. For only 160 calories, it's a delicious and easy way to get a whopping 80% of your iron! I know mini wheats is also high in iron, but usually is also more caloric. Overall, it's hard to get your recommended intake of iron without fortified foods or supplements, and I feel better snacking on cereal than taking iron pills, personally. But I'm sure there's other ways! :)