Anyone quitting smoking and losing weight?

Options
Anyone else out there who is starting or continuing their weight loss journey and is quitting smoking? I know I can't be the only one.

Maybe we can support and encourage each other to keep up with our goals while ending nasty habits?

Replies

• timodawson
    timodawson Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You are not the only one!

I had a scare at the end of 2013 and ended up at the doctors office on new years eve (also my birthday) getting and EKG. Found out my blood pressure was crazy high and I had ballooned to 414lbs. That day I decided things needed to change. I quit smoking after 16 years (2 months smoke free), got my blood pressure under control with the help of some medication and have lost ~37lbs since that day. I feel better than I have in years!

I haven't had a cigarette since January 8th.

Please feel free to add me. Are you using any kind of aid to quit smoking? I was on Chantix for 2 months.
  • fallingken
    fallingken Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Good luck with both efforts, though I think quitting smoking for me was harder then actually losing weight. I managed to lose weight with only one serious attempt. I had to quit smoking 3 times before I stayed quit. But it can be done and I am sure you can do it too.
  • timodawson
    timodawson Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Good luck with both efforts, though I think quitting smoking for me was harder then actually losing weight. I managed to lose weight with only one serious attempt. I had to quit smoking 3 times before I stayed quit. But it can be done and I am sure you can do it too.

Three tries isn't bad to quit smoking IMO. In the 16 years I was smoking I probably tried to quit 15 times. I tried cold turkey, patches, gum, lozenges, weening, e-cigarettes, I'm sure I am forgetting other things. The Chantix so far has been the only thing that really seemed to help.
  • Raggedy_Ann
    Options
    I quit in 2011 after 25 years. Feel free to add me for support!
  • Ichasestorms
    Ichasestorms Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You are not the only one!

I had a scare at the end of 2013 and ended up at the doctors office on new years eve (also my birthday) getting and EKG. Found out my blood pressure was crazy high and I had ballooned to 414lbs. That day I decided things needed to change. I quit smoking after 16 years (2 months smoke free), got my blood pressure under control with the help of some medication and have lost ~37lbs since that day. I feel better than I have in years!

I haven't had a cigarette since January 8th.

Please feel free to add me. Are you using any kind of aid to quit smoking? I was on Chantix for 2 months.

Oh wow! Glad you are turning things around! You can do it!

I've been smoking for 13 years (plus another 6 off and on). Tried to quit many times, and started back up after family emergencies. This time I'm determined to make it stick no matter what! I'm using the patch to quit. So far so good!
  • yes I am too I am down to 4 a day or less and starting the gym in the morning.. good luck to those of you doing both as well.. I know this is not going to be easy, wish me luck too.
  • katkat28
    katkat28 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking about 9 months ago, after smoking almost a pack a day for 10 years! I just started my healthy eating and exercise consistently about a month ago...for me it worked better to focus on tackling one thing at a time. You can do anything you want to do just take it one day at a time. Motivation gets you started..habit keeps you going. Choose your habits wisely:)
  • GenoPrice
    GenoPrice Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I stopped smoking 2 weeks ago but that coincided with me uping my calories to only lose 1lb a week plus I have started eating most of my exercise calories back.

I am not looking to lose much more weight maybe 5-10lbs so uping my calories has helped with the snacking and I have still managed to lose 2lbs since stopping smoking.

Good luck to all of you and anyone can add me for encouragement/support
  • MesaFL
    MesaFL Posts: 1
    Options
    Yep! I'm quitting the end of this month. I quit in my late 20's and unfortunately about 8 years later starting smoking again, about 3 years ago. Bleh! When I quit before (cold turkey) it REALLY was not that hard or awful like sooo many people say. I highly recommend The Easy Way To Quit Smoking (I think that's the title) by Alan Carr. I believe there is something similar online as well. I'll probably Google it to check it out. Anyway I'm looking forward to being Smoke Free!!!!!!
  • Ichasestorms
    Options
    Thanks MesaFL! I'm going to have to check out that book now. =) End of the month isn't too far away, you can do it!

I tried cold turkey in the past, it doesn't work for me... I must be weak or something because after a few hours I was shaking, crying over nothing and my lungs hurt so bad. :laugh:

@GenoPrice - Grats! 2 weeks quit and lost 2 pounds is very impressive!!
  • Lpaduano17
    Lpaduano17 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have been on MFP since January and quit smoking March 1st. Feel free to add me!!
  • Kaibrosky
    Kaibrosky Posts: 24
    Options
    Even though I do still currently smoke, which I plan on quitting in the next little bit I wanted to work on my weight loss first. Just because the last time I did quit smoking I gained and did not want that to happen again. So my goal is to lose my first 20 pounds and then give up the smoking. That way I know what it takes for the eating healthy and exercise are my friends and cigarettes are my enemy! Kind of a mind game type of thing.

You may add me if you like. I like to support and motivate people just like I need the motivation and support.:tongue:
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    Anyone else out there who is starting or continuing their weight loss journey and is quitting smoking? I know I can't be the only one.

Maybe we can support and encourage each other to keep up with our goals while ending nasty habits?

Yeah less then a year into my journey I quite smoking ..actually I think this weekend is my 1 year anniversary from quitting :)
  • Twisted_Wrister
    Twisted_Wrister Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    You're definitely not alone! I quit around November 2011 and began the changes that helped me lose weight Jan. 2012. A little over two years later and I'm still down 40-ish lbs. Don't get me wrong...I still slip now and again :smokin: :grumble: BUT it's not like it was when I was an everyday smoker. Work/life stress still causes me to have the very rare smoke. But I'm motivated by the fact that I know I'm healthier and have made a change that will impact how long I am around for my family! I also like to participate in the many 5k's in my area throughout the year and I can't do that if I'm hacking up a lung. Also, I'm a hockey player and skate on teams year round. After quitting, and losing the weight, my game improved 110%+++

I no longer felt like I was going to stroke out after every shift!

Best of luck!
  • Ichasestorms
    Options

Yeah less then a year into my journey I quite smoking ..actually I think this weekend is my 1 year anniversary from quitting :)

Awesome! Congrats on reaching 1 year quit and a new healthy you!!
  • Dawn0909
    Dawn0909 Posts: 3
    Options
    I recently quit after smoking for over 22 years. My last cigarette was December 31st 2013. I use the vapor ecigs and it made quitting easy. (this coming from someone who did not want to quit and did not believe they would work). I am now down to 0 nicotine in my vape and only use it out of enjoyment. Best of luck! Feel free to add me if you would like a little extra encouragement :smile:
  • fallingken
    fallingken Posts: 98 Member
    Options
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    When I first started MFP January 2012 I also quit smoking. I was in the zone. I did really well, then I started smoking again. I did keep losing weight, though. Then I lost my healthiness mojo and put on some weight. I quit the smokes again on January 2nd this year and I think I've got it this time. I tried to quit about 10 times before, so I've learned what not to do. I'm back to losing weight again, too. Good luck! It is doable. :happy:
  • Kimsoontobe
    Kimsoontobe Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm quitting 3/17/14 & starting my lifestyle change.