Alternative to BREAD!

Options
I really really really miss having sandwiches... The below post about Subway got me thinking...

Salads are nice and all but man do I miss a good sandwich.

I wish there were a low carb, low cal, gluten free, bread-like substance we could use to hold our meat and veggies in our hands that tasted OK (doesn't even have to be good, just not bad)...

Bonus points if it could be found at a restaurant on the go without having to go grocery shopping at a specialty store.

Anyone?

Replies

• melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Sandwich thins are what I use for everything now. I don't think they are gluten free but for only 100 calories I get a sandwich "bread" and do better than 2 slices of almost anything else. I find them at all stores.
  • Shaqueta
    Options
    I use healthy life whole wheat bread. It taste great and its 35 calories per slice. I've also grown accustomed to wraps in different flavors. I love spinach and tomato basil flavored wraps. Not sure where u live but whole foods probably has something up ur alley
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I don't have a suggestion but I too would like to complain since the lowest cal bread I've found is WW bread but the slices are so thin they are good for nothing more than PB & J. They can't even pretend to hold up the weight of a tomato, piece of turkey and lettuce.

I should definitely get some wraps but pitas are 1/3 the price and I love deals. What to do, what to do, lol!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    I use healthy life whole wheat bread. It taste great and its 35 calories per slice. I've also grown accustomed to wraps in different flavors. I love spinach and tomato basil flavored wraps. Not sure where u live but whole foods probably has something up ur alley

Thanks! Will have to add this item to my ever-growing grocery list of food not available in Canada (Cherry Coke Zero and Fruit Punch Crystal light tops the list).

Store Locator: http://www.healthylifebread.com/pages/where-to-buy.php
  • tigertchr23
    tigertchr23 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is a gluten free grain. You can purchase Qunioa flour to make bread or baked goods. Here is more info.: http://www.quinoa.net/1963.html

Otherwise . . . Ekeziel bread is good for you because it is made from sprouted grains. I'm not sure that it is gluten free though. But Food for Life makes gluten free bread products. Check it out: http://www.foodforlife.com/

Do you have a Sprouts, Henry's, Trader Joe's, or Whole Foods by you? Or maybe a neighborhood grocery store with an organic section? They usually carry gluten free pastas, crackers, cookies, etc.

I live in Arizona and we have a couple of restaurants that serve gluten free pizza and/or have a gluten free menu . . . Barro's Pizza, Picazzos, B.J.'s Restaurant and Brewhouse, P.F. Chang's, Pizza Fusion. We also have some Gluten Free Country Stores. I guess we have a lot of Celiac disease support here.

I hope this helps :smile:
  • KcFitCoach
    KcFitCoach Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I heart Orowheat Sandwhich Thins and also Bagel Thins!
  • ShellyKay67
    ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    This is what i have too. Healthy life also has a whole wheat 40 cal per slice with omega 3 and flax. Both of these taste really good, holds up to any kind of sandwich (shaved turkey, fresh spinach (instead of lettuce) and tomatoes...yum) and you get 2 pieces of bread for the same calories as 1 piece of something else!
  • sheilabennett
    Options
    Glutino gluten free english muffins are really good. I have them as sandwiches for lunch most every day! They are 190 cals and 38 carbs... but my lunch still usually comes in under 300 cals.

I just get them at my local grocery store in the natural food section!
  • JoyousRen
    JoyousRen Posts: 3,823 Member
    Options
    Nature's Own 100% Stone ground Wheat sandwich bread is only 50 cals a slice but it is just a low cal bread, full of gluten and carbs
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I was reading on MDA (www.marksdailyapple.com) that if you are going to have bread - have Rye. Otherwise here is a link to a recipe for spinach bread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/spinach-bread/
  • ItsNatastic
    ItsNatastic Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    We are gluten free at my house and I try to eat low carb as well. If I need something sandwich like, I will often opt for a corn tortilla. They are gluten free and contain significantly less carbohydrates than things like bread, english muffins, bagels, etc. Generally a lot lower cal too!
  • ItsNatastic
    ItsNatastic Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    OOPS double post but I wanted to add something anyway!
    If you MUST have bread, the BEST BEST BEST GF bread I have EVER had was Udi's sandwich bread. The slices are smaller than regular bread, so less carbs in comparison anyways. It's a little pricier than other GF breads but 100% worth it!
  • niknok28
    Options
    I LOVE Udi's bread!!! It's gluten free and yummy! As far as finding gluten free in restaurants... don't know but I will keep tabs here in case someone has heard of it.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    My kids are gluten free and we use the very small 4" round corn tortillas for their daily lunches. They are way less expensive than the gluten free breads and not as high in carbs.
    We also use lettuce leaves or the rice paper wraps in the asian markets.
    Have you tried baking flax seeds into crackers, there is a recipe online, they work well. We also make an unleavened bread which is low carb.
    Not sure what the carbs on Corn Thins are I don't have a package handy, but they work great for sandwiches too.