Spinning class

Options
I am trying a spinning class for the 1st time tonight. Has anyone tried it before and if so what did you think?

Replies

• Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I love spin classes! I go at least 2/week!

Make sure you try out a few classes with a couple of different instructors if you can. Each one is different and you will find that you like someone's approach to teaching more than others. The type of music they use, how vocal they are, how much they engage the class...it all makes a difference in your experience!

For your first time, ask the instructor to help you set the bike and from then on, just remember the numbers where you had it set last time. No guesswork!

During your first class, don't beat yourself up if you can't keep up. A lot of these folks have been doing it for a long time! There is absolutely no shame in sitting on the bike and pedaling the whole time. You're still going to get a great workout!

Good Luck!
  • tterry76
    tterry76 Posts: 13
    Options
    Thank-you for the information. That helps alot so I'm not in the dark about what is going on. :)
  • deviant_illusion
    deviant_illusion Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Be ready for a sore rear end! I got my sister to start going with me its been a few weeks and she is just starting to get used to the seat. They build them for speed not comfort lol.
  • tterry76
    Options
    Thanks for the warning. :)
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Be ready for a sore rear end! I got my sister to start going with me its been a few weeks and she is just starting to get used to the seat. They build them for speed not comfort lol.

Yes! An excellent tip. After the first class your butt will be wicked sore, but keep at it. It will get better, I promise!
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Spinning is AWESOME! One thing to add to what was already said: anything you do out of the saddle (off the seat) you can do in the saddle (in the seat).

Bring a towel and a water bottle, and have fun! Spinning is addicting!
  • jonesan8
    jonesan8 Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm a little late with my response. I hope you enjoyed it! And yes, I'm sure your bottom is sore. I started spinning about a year ago. I LOVED it from the first class! At that time, someone in the class told me " Give it 3 times and your bottom won't hurt anymore." She was RIGHT.
  • Mbuhler
    Mbuhler Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I love love love spin classes. Such a killer workout. I agree with everyone above. Also, bring a towel (to mop up your sweat) and I always bring 2 water bottles with me to class because sometimes one isn't enough. Have fun!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Wear bike shorts if you got 'em, and also cleats. If not, you'll be fine, but might have a higher degree of discomfort. Bring water/sports drink.
  • stuartc13
    Options
    I would agree that you should try out a few different classes and instructers as you may enjoy some more than other. I always feel the instructor is key as they keep you motivated througout the class, it also helps if the music is good. The first few classes will be hard as they are non stop ! take a drink bottle as you will need it and a towel to wipe away that sweat. The good thing about the spin classes are they can be as hard or easy as you want them as you will be in control of the dial to turn up or down your resistance. The instructor will tell you when and how much to turn up or down but you can alway turn down if you are strugglin. As long as you keep the legs moving. I have been spinning for over 9 months and I love it. Hope you enjoy.
  • tterry76
    Options
    Thank-you everybody for your replies. They were helpful in preparing me for my first spin class. I loved it but, since it was my first time it definitely kicked my butt. And I definitely have the sore booty. I am planning on continuing with this class. it was tough but, I had fun!
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Move to Atlanta and do this class!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EFJvKTaOnM
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Thank-you everybody for your replies. They were helpful in preparing me for my first spin class. I loved it but, since it was my first time it definitely kicked my butt. And I definitely have the sore booty. I am planning on continuing with this class. it was tough but, I had fun!

Ten minutes in my first spin class ever, all I could think about was "I'm never doing this again", 40 pounds later, I still go twice a week :)
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    It's awesome! You'll love it. (maybe not the first day....)
  • jnb143
    jnb143 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I LOVE SPIN CLASS. I go 2/week. I love the feeling of sweat dripping off my face lol makes me feel like I'm doing something while listening to good music!
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    It's a lot of fun, but be prepared to walk funny for about 2 days :laugh: I DEFINITELY recommend cycling pants/shorts with some padding. When I first started it took me about two weeks to get used to the bike and even longer to be able to keep up with all the ups/downs/hills/sprints... but like another user said, go in there and do your own thing. If you can't keep up just stay seated and keep peddling. You'll get there. Best advice I got from my instructor at my first class- make sure you have some sort of drink besides water (gatorade, powerade), or a snack bar. You'll need it to keep from getting light headed after the class.
  • jimboodee2
    jimboodee2 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I started spin also last week and loved it I did two classes last week and three classes this week. I have 3 different instructors for all classes and they do all teach differently. Love the fact that you actually know you are working your butt off. I think I may be addicted now :-)
  • JenToms80
    JenToms80 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I love spinning!

Make sure you go at your own pace....saddle sore hurts like nothing else but dont let that put you off!

:drinker: