Low Carb Plateau HELP

Options
Hi all !

I've recently hit a plateau in my weight loss and I was looking for some advice as to why or what I can do to get over the hump. Basically I've researched it and come up with SO many "reasons" as to why, but half of them are contradicting one another. I'm eating too little, I'm eating too much, I need a cheat day, I'm cheating too much. UGH

so basically I just wanted to reach out for some feedback from this amazing community
Here are some specs on me. I was doing the Dukan diet for a but but then decided to stick with mostly low carb. I lost 30 pounds a few months ago, gained a few back and now cannot shed those last few "whoops" pounds.

One confession is that I don't work out enough, but in my defense, the Dukan diet calls for 20 min of walking per day, and I'm a waitress, so technically I'm walking for 5-6 hours per day. I count that as my exercise.

Height: 5'4"
Weight: 130
BMR: 1,389
Daily intake: around 800 calories.

Like I said, I eat low carb, tons of grilled chicken and egg whites. The only carbs I intentionally have is my breakfast porridge of 1 1/2 tbs Oat Bran, 2 tbs bran (unprocessed millers brand) 1 tbs Flax Seed meal and 1 cup of unsweetened almond milk. I learned on the Dukan diet the importance of incorporating oat bran into your diet.

I just want to lose that last 5-6 pounds. My diary is public so PLEASE take a look, don't judge me for the few times I cheat and let me know if you have any suggestions. THANK YOU !!

Replies

• SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Eat more. I'm 5'3.5" 115 lbs and lose weight eating 1900. Your body needs fuel to function

Also, your diary is not public
  • wmstormvet
    wmstormvet Posts: 145
    Options
    Does that say you are only eating 800 calories a day? Wow!! I don't know how you even have energy to get out of bed. I am no expert by any means but I am pretty sure that isn't enough calories to fuel your body. May have something to do with it.
  • bobbiejof33
    Options
    You need to eat over 1000 cals a day for your body not to go into starvation mode, which means everything you eat, it is storing because it doesn't know when it will get the right amount of fuel again. Add another 200-300 cals into your diet, and I am sure you will see a loss :)
  • butlersoft
    butlersoft Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    You must at AT LEAST your BMR .... but not as much as your TDEE to lose.

Your lifestyle is fairly active given the amount of time on your feet but 800 calories doesn't even begin to give the body enough fuel to charge that burning fire !!!
  • sesamemom
    sesamemom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    when I was doing adkins low carb diet, an hit a plateau..i asked in the community why..an the answer I got was...when counting your carbs for the day, which I was doing phase 1..which was 20 carbs per day...12 of those 20 needed to come from vegtables...tried it..and it worked
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Eat more, quit the nonsense dietary restrictions. You'll be better prepared for long-term maintenance, when you get there.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Leonidas_meets_Spartacus Posts: 6,198 Member
    Options
    800 cal is too low, especially for a low carb diet. You are wrecking your metabolism, if you haven't already done.
  • whoknowsame
    Options
    Eat more. I'm 5'3.5" 115 lbs and lose weight eating 1900. Your body needs fuel to function

Also, your diary is not public

Oops ! It's public now I think. I don't know why my changes didn't save last time I updated it
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are moving from losing weight to an eating disorder. Stop obsessing about carbs and the scale, and start eating above your BMR.
  • whoknowsame
    Options
    800 cal is too low, especially for a low carb diet. You are wrecking your metabolism, if you haven't already done.

Ahhh wrecking my metabolism ? That's not good.

Okay, so it seems like the general consensus is I need to eat more. I'm usually not hungry enough to eat more but I guess I have to force it haha
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

Ahhh wrecking my metabolism ? That's not good.

Okay, so it seems like the general consensus is I need to eat more. I'm usually not hungry enough to eat more but I guess I have to force it haha

Maybe try to squeeze in some more calorie dense foods like avacado, nuts, peanut butter, Greek yogurts. Stay consistent with your logging and have patience. ;)