Too much fruit????

Options
What is everyone's opinion on eating "too much" fruit?? every day i'm over on my sugar by a ridiculous amount and it's because of all the fruit i eat. I'm wondering if this is hindering me.

on a typical day this is my meal plan....
Breakfast- greek yogurt, small fruit salad (strawberries, blueberries, pineapple) OR a banana, 8 oz of green juice (kale, an apple, celery, cucumber, lemon, ginger)
Lunch- small salad with light dressing and a sandwich on wheat bread
Snack- apple with peanut butter
Dinner- fish or chicken with veggies (sometimes with a sweet potato or quinoa)
Snack- protein shake (with unsweetened almond milk)
and tonsssss of lemon water throughout the day

I work out 6-7 days a week (I usually lift every day and then I switch it up between spin class, kickboxing, yoga, body sculpt class, the elliptical) and I have one or two cheat meals a week… I’m just not seeing the results I want and now I’m worrying it’s because I consume so much sugar from fruit and I’m reading so many conflicting things online.

Thanks for your feedback!!!

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    They're referring to added sugar, not sugar found in fruit.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    It's probably your cheat days combined with possible over estimation of exercise or under estimating calories. I am over my sugar limit every single day, pretty much. This will not hinder your loss. It's calories in vs out for weight loss. I would look to your logging accuracy. Maybe start tracking cheat days? Even if you're over, you'd see why you aren't seeing results. If you need to cheat, perhaps your calorie goal is too aggressive or you're being too restrictive? There's nothing wrong with all foods in moderation
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    If it is preventing you from hitting your other macros then it is too much fruit IMO. I keep my fruit to a couple of servings per day and tend to get about 3x that amount in veg. I still go over sugar though because MFP's recommendation is based on added sugars, not naturally occurring ones. Pretty much if you eat any fruit at all you will be over on sugar.

The only way the sugar in your fruit would possibly be hindering your losses is if you are insulin resistant/sensitive.

Do you get enough fat?
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by eating at a deficit. Period. Log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Every thing. Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

I use MFP's protein & fiber goals and minimums and ignore fat & carbs (including sugar), But if you ask 100 MFPers, you'll get 100 different answers. It will take trial & error to find what works for you.
  • amstein18
    amstein18 Posts: 131
    Options
    Thank you! I try to eat back only half of my exercise calories just incase I overestimated. my cheat meals aren't out of control either. this past week it was going out for hibachi where i had brown rice, chicken, veggies, and noodles. I never sit there with a bag of doughnuts and go to town haha i just like the freedom of not logging calories for a meal or two during the week.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I agree with making sure you're getting enough proteins and fats, too. As an added note. Fats are really important for hormone balance, etc. Read the sexy pants link too! It's very helpful ;)
  • fordrst
    fordrst Posts: 16
    Options
    :huh: Surely the sugar in any food, including fruit, that you eat is rightly added to your intake for the day?
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is all you need to lose weight. How you get there is up to you. Sugar from fruit is not a problem, unless there is a medical reason. Do you meet your macros?

Weigh/measure/log all your food exactly for a couple of weeks. Make sure you are accurate by using a food scale. After 2 weeks, look at your calories for the week. It's a surprising thing for most people.

After reading your last post, again if you are not weighing/measuring there is no way you know now much you are eating.

Edited for spelling.
  • autumnsquirrel
    autumnsquirrel Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    What is everyone's opinion on eating "too much" fruit?? every day i'm over on my sugar by a ridiculous amount and it's because of all the fruit i eat. I'm wondering if this is hindering me.

on a typical day this is my meal plan....
    Breakfast- greek yogurt, small fruit salad (strawberries, blueberries, pineapple) OR a banana, 8 oz of green juice (kale, an apple, celery, cucumber, lemon, ginger)
    Lunch- small salad with light dressing and a sandwich on wheat bread
    Snack- apple with peanut butter
    Dinner- fish or chicken with veggies (sometimes with a sweet potato or quinoa)
    Snack- protein shake (with unsweetened almond milk)
    and tonsssss of lemon water throughout the day

I work out 6-7 days a week (I usually lift every day and then I switch it up between spin class, kickboxing, yoga, body sculpt class, the elliptical) and I have one or two cheat meals a week… I’m just not seeing the results I want and now I’m worrying it’s because I consume so much sugar from fruit and I’m reading so many conflicting things online.

Thanks for your feedback!!!
    It's the type of fruits, such as grapes, bananas, oranges, for example. These are high glycemic and also high carb. I was eating an orange with each meal-my Endo says this is too many carbs/sugars ==I was wondering why I wasn't losing anymore weight, thought it was all about my being hypothyroid. Nope. Too many higher glycemic fruits. Try to dial it back a little as fruit is still very good for you.
  • amstein18
    amstein18 Posts: 131
    Options
    Thank you everyone :) I appreciate the advice. I will cut back a little on my fruit intake and make sure I'm getting enough of everything else. I do measure my food already so at least I know I'm doing something right haha THANKS AGAIN!
  • angdpowers
    angdpowers Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Idk? I suppose possibly?
    Everyone's body is different but that's where the majority of my carbs come from.

Typically in a day I'll have at least one apple, one banana, 2 clementines and either dried fruit or berries. But I feel like that's healthy and normal.

You could always reduce and see how you respond? :)
    Good luck!!
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    There is NO SUCH THING as too much fruit!!! The numbers on the site are general numbers, and don't necessarily apply to everybody.

The human body has been eating fruit for thousands of years.

We are naturally attracted to bright colors.

Kids instinctively climb trees the way cats play with mice.

We paint pictures of fruit and put it on our walls.

We have hands, lips and teeth that seem to be made for fruit.

Fruit is the ONLY thing on earth that a human can put in it's mouth, in it's raw state, and think "That is the best tasting thing i have ever eaten!!!"

We have carbohydrate digestive enzymes in our saliva.

We have a "sweet tooth" for a reason.....
    Humans are frugivores. Fruit is our natural food. NEVER EVER restrict fruit intake! Cut something else first.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options

Fruit is the ONLY thing on earth that a human can put in it's mouth, in it's raw state, and think "That is the best tasting thing i have ever eaten!!!"

Or, one on a long list of things.
  • Slim_strategy
    Options
    I've had 2 pears and 2 bananas today XD Gotta love fruit
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    My trainer advised a 3 to 1 ratio of veggies to fruit, for whatever that's worth. I've been eating way more fruit now that berries are coming into season already, and I've discovered full fat plain Greek yogurt--YUM with berries, crushed pineapple, or peaches... I have no idea of my ratio, but I also eat a ton of veggies, so I'm okay with it.