Over on Calories?

Options
If I went over on my calories yesterday will staying under by the same amount today balance it out?

Replies

• scottjoh
    scottjoh Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    That should do it. We all go over once in awile.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Meh. If I go over I just write that day off and move on. It's done, no sense in torturing myself by being extra hungry the next day to make it up. This is a lifelong pursuit to lose, sustain, learn.
  • jencox08
    jencox08 Posts: 2
    Options
    If you go over on calories remember to move more to help balance it out. You should at least eat 1200 calories a day!:happy:
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    1 day being over isn't a big deal, the idea behind a deficit is you lose a pound for every 3500 calories under, so in the grand scheme of things i wouldn't sweat it!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I don't think that's a healthy way to approach it. If you go over one day, forget it and move on. You're eating at a deficit. Worst case, you ate up to maintenance and it won't impact you much. Or, if it wasn't that much over, and you're still in a deficit.

I think it's a horrible practice to punish yourself for over eating. It's a really negative way to live your life.

This...

weight loss doesn't happen in 24hour increments...it's a process over time...don't worry about it. Eat normally today and move ahead...
  • hastingsmassage
    hastingsmassage Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Well, not much, you carry on, one day wont make a difference.
  • twilaklasen
    twilaklasen Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was just reading one of Jillian Michael's books and she said it's about the overall. Try to stay a little bit under the next day but don't deprive yourself.
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I look at weekly calories anyway. There is a nutrition section on the phone app that will show you how many calories you are over/under for the week.

Even if you were over yesterday, I bet if you look at it you may be under your weekly goal.

This only applies if you log every single thing you eat.
  • easjer
    easjer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    While that makes a logical sense, your body doesn't necessarily work that way. You have to eat to a certain level to keep your metabolism in peak condition, so depending on closely you eat to that level, you may hurt things longer term by under-eating today. A better option might be to eat to normal levels and take a walk to burn a few extra calories in the next week. But generally, your best bet is to take a more global view and consider your intake/outtake on a weekly basis.
  • fighttheflab43
    Options
    if i go over , i always eat bit less cals the next day to balance it out... works for me...
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I don't think that's a healthy way to approach it. If you go over one day, forget it and move on. You're eating at a deficit. Worst case, you ate up to maintenance and it won't impact you much. Or, if it wasn't that much over, and you're still in a deficit.

I think it's a horrible practice to punish yourself for over eating. It's a really negative way to live your life.

+2