Help - Can't 'Shock' my Body out of this Plateau

Options
I know this is one of the most common COMPLAINTS/WHINING that goes on here.. but I really could use some help...

I've hit a plateau in my weight loss - seems like I loose a lb one week then stay stagnant for at least a month or more - and I was looking for some advice as to why or what I can do to get over the hump. I've researched all the 'ways' to loose weight - I've lowered my cals for a few wks seeing no change, then raised them with the same result.... I'm faithful in logging - weigh/measure my food.. and yet NOTHING... I started this journey January 2013 and so far have lost 23 lbs...although I'm proud of myself and do see a change - I thought I would probably be at a greater loss by the time a year rolled around.

so basically I just wanted to reach out for some feedback from this amazing community
Here are some specs on me.

I work at least 3 days a week (unless I've been sick - which has been off and on since early December) - doing Leslie Sansone boosted walking - 3-5 miles depending on my time schedule...

Height: 5'4"
Weight: 174.5
BMR: 1502
Daily intake: 1480 - no eating back my cals burned - it's about minus 15-20% of my TDEE. Most days I'm lower than the 1480.. but I use that as an average. My TDEE says 1803 as sedetary - which I set in case there's weeks I couldn't get in a full workout, etc. Still wanted to be on a deficit.
I know ppl say you're not supposed to eat below your BMR - but I've tried eating above that - about 1600 cals a day and still wasn't loosing anything...
My diary is open so please take a look and any advice is greatly appreciated...

Thanks

Replies

• dsiscoe
    dsiscoe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    1200/day embrace hunger :smile:
  • sshintaku
    sshintaku Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with your workout program, but I know when I was just walking (2-3 miles a day about 4mph) I had a really hard time losing. I would maybe try, if you are physically able, to mix in different types of exercise. Maybe try a workout video, work in some jogging, yoga, etc. I've been getting really good results doing 2-3 different types of exercise rotated through the week.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

GTFO I hope this is sarcasm otherwise NO

OP you don't weigh your food based on what I see in your diary so you are probably eating more than you think.

You say you weigh but based on the entries you aren't consistent with it. 1/2c cottage cheese...1med apple, and trust me 4oz of steak has more than 158 calories 3 oz of lean steak has 213 calories...so 4oz...see where I am going...

logging accurately means weight all solids not just the easy ones...using cups for liquids only and choosing the correct entries. As well just because a package says 2 slices =160 calories it also says it in grams and that is really what the calories are based on.

try not to use the entries that start with generic or homemade or even the ones that start with an * as those are user entered and no guarantee they are correct. It's easy to tell that too...look at the # of confirmations the data has...if there aren't any...don't use it.
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I noticed in your diary that there are a lot of "generic" entries and "cups" "tablespoons", etc. You said you weighed/measured but it appears (from what I was noticing) that most of your food is measured, not weighed. For instance, your apples for snacks. Entering a "medium apple" from the database could be anywhere from 60-100 calories too low. Use a food scale to weigh EVERYTHING. Sometimes my morning bananas are well over 200 calories. Although meat usually comes in oz serving sizes, they almost always have grams out to the side of it as well. Get a scale that does both so you can go back and forth. As far as veggies, it probably won't make that much of a difference, but it will be more accurate if you weigh your food.

Also, like another user said, try switching up your workouts in addition to the more accurate food weighing and see if that will help. Trust me, I know it's irritating!!! Good luck and don't give up!
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    First.. TDEE is what you would consume to maintain weight.
    I've put your numbers into Scooby's calculator at 1-3 hours of light exercise and this is what I was given:

TDEE - 2065
    -15% - 1755
    BMR - 1502

Even if you use the little exercise option, the numbers are still higher than what you are consuming.

TDEE- 1802
    -15% - 1532
    BMR - 1502

20% is a harsh deficit for only having 10lbs to lose. I think even 15% would be a little much.

10% at sedentary would give you 1622 calories.

Try bumping it up to 1600 for 4-6 weeks. Exercise as usual, just don't worry about the calorie burns from it. The way that you use the TDEE method is that you calculate your exercise into the equation already.

But seriously, give it 4-6 weeks before deciding it is or isn't working. It takes a little bit to adjust.

And of course, the usuals. Weigh (with a food scale) and measure EVERYTHING. Drink enough water to keep you hydrated - I don't put a number on the amount because it's up to the drinker :drinker:

And slow progress is still progress!!
  • caramammal
    caramammal Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    looks like you are doing everything right and have tried most things. For me, i had to make a spreadsheet and detail everything in order to understand what was happening and came to the conclusion that calories in vs calories out are indeed the only key to me losing steadily...that and absolute consistency.

So for example, if my net is 1200 calories, then i would lose 1lb per week. Simple right? It worked every single time without fail (btw, for the 1200 calorie haters this is based on MY lifestyle/activity/body type, it could just as easily be 1500 if i had an active job). So anyway...to lose more i have to either eat less, or exercise more.

i'm a shorty with a sedentary day job, which means my activity level comes from actual mindful exercise, If i want to lose 2lbs a week, i have to net 700 calories, it's doable... just and for me this means eating 1200 calories and exercising 500 off...hard hard work.

I guess my point is, for some of us, it really does need to be an exact science in order for it to work.

Good luck
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Lol plateaus are simply the body adapting.
    The adaptation curve takes apps 3 weeks for most people.
    That said, you should cycle calories and program training according to this curve.

The body will first adapt to energy in.
    Then it will adapt to reps and weights used in training.
    So if you continually train wight he same program like 5x5 or starting strength etc...you'll want to vary your rep ranges from week to week with 1 week off from the program every 4th or 5th.
    With caloric intake, start on the lower end when working with lower weights, and as you work up in weight you'll raise caloric intake to meet the needs.
    try and stick with a deficit between 5-20% below TDEE and every 4th-5th week at full TDEE to fight adaptation.

Hope that helps.

PM if interested in programming or caloric intake.
    Maybe I can help.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    we've all been there, I'm currently in one and have been there since Christmas but it WILL pass....
    usually in my case it takes doing circuit training - that seems to jolt my body into losing - I'm not fussed but I'll do it for a while to see results again.
    The smaller amount you have to lose the slower it gets, my last 5-7lbs are taking FOREVER but I know one day I'll get there.

I wouldn't cut back on any calories, I would even try upping them by 100, that has also worked for me in the past.

I am currently eating a gross of 1600 calories, if I don't see a change by this weekend I'll probably just increase my cardio a little, I refuse to eat less than 1600 plus I am happy with my shape as it is so could easily maintain if it weren't for seeing a certain number on the scale.

Just keep on going, mix things up, be very accurate with measuring and weighing and you'll be on a losing streak once more.

are you taking measurements? inch loss despite the scales not shifting is very common :)
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    That said, you should cycle calories and program training according to this curve.

So if you continually train wight he same program like 5x5 or starting strength etc...you'll want to vary your rep ranges from week to week with 1 week off from the program every 4th or 5th.
    With caloric intake, start on the lower end when working with lower weights, and as you work up in weight you'll raise caloric intake to meet the needs.
    try and stick with a deficit between 5-20% below TDEE and every 4th-5th week at full TDEE to fight adaptation.

Hope that helps.

Maybe I can help.

^^ thanks for this, good info :)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Hope that helps.

Maybe I can help.

This is a load of crap actually.

I have eaten on average 1700 calories everyday for almost a year. I have been lifting for 6months doing the exact same routine for the entire 6months....I have yet to hit a "plateau"..please.

It may "look" like good info but it's not...plateaus happen when you are overesitmating calories burned and/or underestimating calories in...it's called not being accurate with logging or not being honest with yourself.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    :noway: No freakin' way! Losing weight does not mean being hungry all the time!
    BMR: 1502
    Daily intake: 1480 - no eating back my cals burned - it's about minus 15-20% of my TDEE.
    Why on earth are you eating below BMR? :huh:

And I disagree with SezxyStef on Dan's info being a "load of crap". I've followed Dan's advice found here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/974888-in-place-of-a-road-map-2k13 For over two years I've had great success, steady fat loss, not a single plateau, smaller clothing sizes, more strength, looking & feeling better in my 40s than I did in my 30s.

Good luck!
  • Kari121869
    Kari121869 Posts: 180 Member
    Options

GTFO I hope this is sarcasm otherwise NO

OP you don't weigh your food based on what I see in your diary so you are probably eating more than you think.

You say you weigh but based on the entries you aren't consistent with it. 1/2c cottage cheese...1med apple, and trust me 4oz of steak has more than 158 calories 3 oz of lean steak has 213 calories...so 4oz...see where I am going...

logging accurately means weight all solids not just the easy ones...using cups for liquids only and choosing the correct entries. As well just because a package says 2 slices =160 calories it also says it in grams and that is really what the calories are based on.

try not to use the entries that start with generic or homemade or even the ones that start with an * as those are user entered and no guarantee they are correct. It's easy to tell that too...look at the # of confirmations the data has...if there aren't any...don't use it.

Thanks - that helps... I try to 'scan' the food entries in MFP before 'picking' one for what I'm eating... and I do try to see how many confirmations are on each - but yes I'm guilty of not doing that 100% of the time. Guess I need more help in the 'cals per oz/cup' area... I'll try to err more on the side of 'more' than less'...
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

Hope that helps.

Maybe I can help.

This is a load of crap actually.

I have eaten on average 1700 calories everyday for almost a year. I have been lifting for 6months doing the exact same routine for the entire 6months....I have yet to hit a "plateau"..please.

It may "look" like good info but it's not...plateaus happen when you are overesitmating calories burned and/or underestimating calories in...it's called not being accurate with logging or not being honest with yourself.
    Totally agree your body does not adapt or get used to the amount of calories. You're just eating to much it's that simple. People tend to try and overcomplicate this process and blind everyone with Bro science. OP you're either eating more than you think or all your numbers are off
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    A plateau means that you are now eating at maintenance... You are either eating more than you think or burning less than you think, or a combination of the two.
  • Kari121869
    Kari121869 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I SO appreciate all your input... I'll try to raise my cals/day and increase my circuit training perhaps - put a little change in the workout situation.
    Just so darn frustrating when I've done basically the same thing years ago and had quick results.. but then I guess, like everything.. you change with age lol
    Much appreciated everyone.. oh and yes .. I'll get a better scale for food!!
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options

so tell us, mr. swanson, how is it working for you?

because based on your ticker and your join date....

...it aint.

ETA: going with the assumption that youre kidding/trolling
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

enino-man-no.gif
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Calories in vs calories out.

I'd consider some sort of 'zig zag' approach and see if that works - high and low calorie days.

I follow something around lean gains and have 1400 calories (+ cardio exercise) on rest days and 2400 calories (+ cardio exercise) on workout days.
    In the past I've eaten low calories on weekdays and more on weekends. I've never found myself plateau particularly.

Your deficit is or could be (with inaccurate measuring etc) quite low it seems, so could also be easily be slow for this - then a small fluctuation in water could hide any weight loss.
  • dholno
    dholno Posts: 14
    Options

Thanks - that helps... I try to 'scan' the food entries in MFP before 'picking' one for what I'm eating... and I do try to see how many confirmations are on each - but yes I'm guilty of not doing that 100% of the time. Guess I need more help in the 'cals per oz/cup' area... I'll try to err more on the side of 'more' than less'...

Looking at your diary, the problem maybe not in the wrong values but in the portions.

Some of the foods you have like "Maple Leaf Chicken Breast Roast" etc, etc are logged with the 1 portion guideline in the nutritional info. Sadly those portion in some high calorie products are usually tiny and a lot less than you may think (and eat). They do that to make them look healthier" and more "weight loss friendly". Food manufacturers and supermarkets now all the tricks....

For example did you know that the Maple Leaf,,, Chicken breast package contains 8 portions ...you maybe eating 2 or 3 portions without realising (it is a tiny amount of food in a dish). With only that you maybe underestimating 300 or 400 calories a day alone..some days you have recorded "portions" in every single meal in your diary...

My 2 cents..

DH
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    im in the same position. i am stuck at the same weight and have been within a few pounds for what seems like 2 months now. im beginning to think i will need to starve myself in order to lose anymore weight. because i dont see how its possible that im not losing when im eating correctly and working out 6+ days a week at the gym. FML. that is all.