Better to be slightly under or slightly over?

Options
Okay, so yesterday was day three for me, and I managed to finish really close to my calorie goal, only 112 calories under 1200. However, MFP yelled at me for being under. The thing is, at 10:30 at night I couldn't think of anything healthy or low calorie I had access to while everyone else was sleeping to meet my goal. Obviously meeting the goal would be best, but if you have to err, is it better too have too many or two few calories?

Replies

• MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I'm always trying to be slightly under. I feel better that way. But hey, that's just me.
  • Vune
    Vune Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I end up being under, but i also keep fresh or dried fruit around to snack on if I get hungry in the middle of the night. I track if for the following day.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    A goal is something you try to meet. If you are only aiming for 1200 calories a day, then make sure you hit at least that.
  • tinavflynn
    tinavflynn Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I think the reason it yelled at you is because you were under 1200 calories, not because you are under in general. With 102 lbs to lose, you might want to think about upping your calories. I too need to lose about 100lbs, and my daily calorie goal is 1660 and I'm losing. Usually MFP only yells at you when you're going too far under your calories.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    [A goal is something you try to meet. If you are only aiming for 1200 calories a day, then make sure you hit at least that ]

^^ this :)
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    MFP has this random 1200 calorie value it will give you as the lowest acceptable calorie intake. Which means you have set your weight goal to lose as fast as possible, MFP has given you the lowest number of calories it can give, and will yell at you when you go below. Since this number usually means nothing other than you have unrealistic goals, I would suggest you reevaluate your plan, aiming for something that will allow you to lose weight on a reasonable pace, and not starve after a few days, plus giv eyou some flexibility. What is your weight and how much do you want to lose?
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Neither.

Better to fuel each day accordingly.
  • viglet
    viglet Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Personally, I always try to be a tad bit under my goal because I know that I like to be glutenous occasionally. So I guess I kind of mentally "bank" those extra 100-200 calories for the weekends and such.

With that said, I read your profile and you mentioned that you are trying to work on building muscle. If that is the case, I would really reconsider your plan of only eating 1200 calories. Make sure that your protein intake is high enough to retain the muscle you already have. Hate to preach, that's just my two cents.

Best of luck!
  • Nightfall30
    Nightfall30 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    During the week, I try to net just slightly under 1250 - ie eating not all of my exercise calories back, so I can eat a lot (2500ish) once a week :P
  • oneloopygirl
    oneloopygirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I think 1200 calories is too low for you based on what you're saying you want to lose and your goal of building muscle, too. I agree with the others on here... Eat more. Don't "bank" calories over the course of the day for some maybe snack. Spread them out for the day so you have the fuel you need to go about your day. You'll feel better.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    I just try to get close to it, no matter if its over or under, as long as I'm around my goal. But since you stated that you have your calories set at 1200, it probably wouldn't hurt to be a bit over.
  • Blossomforth13
    Options
    MFP has this random 1200 calorie value it will give you as the lowest acceptable calorie intake. Which means you have set your weight goal to lose as fast as possible, MFP has given you the lowest number of calories it can give, and will yell at you when you go below. Since this number usually means nothing other than you have unrealistic goals, I would suggest you reevaluate your plan, aiming for something that will allow you to lose weight on a reasonable pace, and not starve after a few days, plus giv eyou some flexibility. What is your weight and how much do you want to lose?

I'm 217 and I'm trying to lose 102 pounds, because of my height, I was told my ideal weight was between 109 and 120, so I aimed for 115.
  • oneloopygirl
    oneloopygirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Calculate your BMR. That is, in theory, the number of calories your body burns every day just doing nothing. Back into a 15-20% deficit from there. So, if you have a BMR of 1700, you'd eat around 1,360 - 1,445 and could still lose. And that's assuming you're doing nothing. If you're more active for your work and factor in exercise calories, you'd be able to eat more than that and still lose.

I think you'll find you can eat more than 1200 a day and still lose. Eating too little is just a bad for weight loss as eating too much.