Plantar Fasciitis/Heel Spur Questions

Options
I ran a 5k the 1st part of October and ended up with severe pain in my heel. Finally went to the DR. on the 11th of November and after taking some x-rays he said stress fracture of my heel due to plantar fasciitis. The radiologist said probably plantar fasciitis and definately a heel spur.

According to the DR. I have been icing it, heat on it, calf stretches and still pain like the 1st day. I was told I could resume walking for exercise once the pain went away working back up to running. I decided to run on the treadmill yesterday as I just couldn't stand it not doing something. I only ran at 3.6 mph for 30 minutes but I paid for it yesterday and today.

My question is, has anyone else had this and how long was your recovery? And also, am I prolonging my recovery if I decide to run through the pain? I was going to call the DR. again but not sure what else he can do for me.

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Debbie

Replies

• rmkorama
    rmkorama Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Wow. Hm. Well, when I developed plantar fasciatis several years ago (2006, I think) it took a while for me to get it diagnosed. The end of the story is that I had to go to a podiatrist several times, I now wear MBT shoes, and also wear custom orthotics most of the time. After a year of those two measures, I'm now able to go without my orthotics for brief amounts of time and now even exercise without shoes. I try not to go more than a few hours at a time without my orthotics.

As I understand it, the recovery time often parallels how long it takes to diagnose and treat it. It took a good year for me to get it diagnosed and I tried several alternative [less expensive] treatments before hitting upon this one. I can't say whether you're hampering your recovery by running through the pain, but I also didn't have a stress fracture to contend with. Hopefully someone else will be able to help you with that.
  • ZumbaMami
    Options
    I have had it for several YEARS...I still have pain every morning when I wake up but it seems to work itself out. If I run or do heavy cardio I take an anti-inflammitory like ibprofen. I teach Zumba classes 5 days a week and doing streteches seem to help.

I wish you the best of luck during recovery. Just keep moving! Like Mom always says...Everything seems to work itself out!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I have had two heel spurs and all the pain with them=both times I've had a steroid shot and after a couple days of BAD pain from the shot it started improving and once again I have no pain. I do try to keep comfy shoes on - something with heel cushioning (crocs, sneaks are standbys)

Good luck!
  • biffdaddy
    Options
    I have plantar fasciitis and everytime I ran, regardless of how long I stayed off of it, it would flare up again. Once your arches fall like that and the tendon stretches, you will always feel like your heel is bruised. I was directed to podiatry where a special insert for my shoes was fabricated. The insert basically supports my arches in such a way that the tendon does not stay stretched. I have had absolutely zero heel pain since then. Good luck!
  • MISTTIMG
    MISTTIMG Posts: 136
    Options
    I have pain in my heel occasionally and I just take care of it, staying off it much as possible until it get's better, I highly recommend Not running with this condition, it will only make it worse and slow down the healing. I use "heel seats" in my shoes, they help a lot! (link below) Good Luck!

http://www.heel-that-pain.com/
  • MCS64
    MCS64 Posts: 126
    Options
    I have had stress fractures and Plantar fasciitis. Yes you will prolong recovery if you run too soon. You can do more harm actually. I know its hard to sit still but its for the better. Let the fracture heal. As for Plantar fasciitis that takes awhile. Follow Dr. instructions for that. Stretching is the biggest help. My favorite is standing on the bottem step on your toes and gently letting your heel hang down.
  • nisijam5
    nisijam5 Posts: 10,390 Member
    Options
    It takes MONTHS to resolve...tendons do not have blood flow and therefore take much long to heal than ligaments and muscles

I agree with the ibuprofen and ice; but, ibuprofen may give you a stomach ache...take it with food...you have to be on the ibuprofen long term for it to be effective...it reduces inflammation

DO NOT WEAR FLIP FLOPS...I gave them up completely

There are exercises you can google to improve the situation

There is a prosthetic brace that you sleep with and can be purchased from Walgreens...it keeps your foot flexed when you are sleeping and lengthens the muscles/tendons.

Lastly, work closely with an MD since you already have spurs
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    If you can't afford to get the custom orthotics made at least get a good pair of hard over the counter orthotics. Just google foot orthotics and you will find a ton available. Once you get used to them (a couple weeks) you will not have the pain except for when you first get up or go without the orthotics for too long. After a few months you can go a bit longer without the orthotics, but while running or doing a lot of "on feet" work you will want the orthotics in. Some running shoes have them built in but are rather expensive. I have had PF and heel spurs for over 10 years.
  • debmac63
    debmac63 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all who responded. I'm looking into orthotics now and I'm going to get some of those Heel Seats. Sounds like this is something I'm going to have to live with:(

Thanks again to all of you, you're the best!

Debbie
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I got plantar fasciitis when I first started doing martial arts without shoes. I did the stretching and such and while it helped, it didn't fix the problem. Then I took one of the best Kinesiology classes on earth. We were basically taught from the feet up how to diagnose and treat all kinds of ailments through manual muscle testing and various therapeutic treatments. The professor actually did a deep tissue myofascial release massage on my feet and within a week, no more plantar fasciitis. I won't lie, I was in tears the whole time he was doing it because it hurt like crazy! But so worth it when the pain was gone. I don't think that can be done with heel spurs or fractures, though. You have to let those heal before you do anything on your feet. I'd get a stability ball and bounce for cardio. That way you can get a good workout but not put as much stress on the feet since you are basically just planting them instead of doing impact moves.
  • shawnnshinta
    shawnnshinta Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    hello!

My heel spur problem was controlled by one cortizone shot from the family doctor.

Of course running should probally be eliminated from your exercise program, because this will only get worse and never better.
    Try some other exercises like biking or triking. There will be little or no stress on your feet.

Ask your doctor about the shot, and also keep in mind that weight loss will definetly help too.

good luck!
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options

DO NOT WEAR FLIP FLOPS...I gave them up completely]

After years of pain I found I can only wear Birkenstock sandals.
  • ezrida
    ezrida Posts: 36
    Options
    Hi
    There are many things you can do to treat your plantar fasciitis. I had plantar fasciitis for about a year and I discovered that treatment is individual. Things that work for one will not necessarily work for the other. The good news is that you have many treatments you can try but you must be persistent and patient.
    I have followed a good plantar fasciitis treatment review website in:
    http://www.plantar-fasciitis-elrofeet.com/How_is_Plantar_Fasciitis_Treated.html
    There are many self care treatments ideas in there but I think you should consult a podiatrist before do something.
    Take care
  • margie_77
    margie_77 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I've had it for years. It used to only be occasional pain, but now its pretty consistant. I've had a couple cortizone shots, but the tunnel that the nerve bundle crosses my foot in is just too damaged. For now I'm just living with it. It hurts if I run or if I sit on the couch, so I choose to run. Alieve helps alot.
    Sorry I don't have better news for you.
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I just recently started getting heel pains after running or walking for an extended period of time. One of the best things I've found is to freeze a 20 oz water bottle. Then you roll your arch over the frozen bottle. It's like icing it and massaging it at the same time. I'm trying to stay off my treadmill for a little bit to see if this heel pain goes away. I would hate for this to turn into a chronic problem because I didn't stay off of it.
  • debmac63
    debmac63 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Thanks again for all the advice...MFP'ers are the best!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    My DPM has some great information on his website about PF - it's www.nwfootankle.com.
  • Leahzc
    Options
    I've suffered with plantar fasciitis for years, ever since I worked on my feet in retail 8 hours a day. It stopped once I got a sit-down job, but it's started back up a few months ago after walking on the treadmill at the gym. I had to give up my trusty Skechers sneakers and I bought a pair of Reebok Zigtech running shoes. They're designed to absorb the shock from the heel as you walk/run. They're a bit pricier ($60-$100) but my heel pain is all but gone! For that, it was worth the money.
  • cjw404
    cjw404 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I also have plantar fasciitis/heels spurs. I was diagnosed in October. Still have alot of pain especially after elipticle and treadmill. My doctor told me it would take at least 8 mos. to heal. He told me not to do any kind of strenuous exercise that involved my feet. He gave me insoles for my shoes which has helped somewhat for the pain.I had cortisone injections twice for the pain but it did not last more than two days before pain returned. I am not doing any kind of exercise now because i'm afraid it will delay the healing process. Needless to say I am very frustrated. I hate not working out! It is such a stress releiver as well as a way to burn extra calories.
  • kiuney
    kiuney Posts: 68
    Options
    I had a mild case of PF this past summer and worked through it by wearing my orthotics more than usual and doing lots of stretching and massing. Recently, I have discovered that golf balls are WONDERFUL for massaging the undersides of the feet. I used to use a tennis ball but I like this much better. I've started doing it several times a week whether I need it or not.