Help With Lunges

Options
I'm starting in on the Nerd Fitness Beginner Body Weight circuit routine. I did my first set of it last night and got through two full circuits but couldn't make it through my third. I am having issues with doing lunges. I am using a chair for balance, but I am hurting my big toes when I lunge forward. What are some pointers for feet positioning for my lunges?

Replies

• headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    wear shoes that fit properly
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    wear shoes that fit properly

That's what I was thinking. I've never heard of someone hurting their big toe when lunging (?)
  • Rambo529
    Rambo529 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're pushing through your heel of the front foot, not the ball of your foot. Might help the big toe pain issues. And proper shoes.
  • cad39too
    cad39too Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I get a pain in my big toe while lunging too; but only when I have a bar on my shoulders - so the weight is directly above me. If I do them with DBs at my sides or B/W they're fine.

If you are having issues with balance, try placing your back foot slightly out to the side, it might give you are more stable stance.
  • jaredsmith83
    jaredsmith83 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I think I was bending it a weird way or something haha. But I was also barefoot in my workout space in our apartment. I didn't think that would make a difference, but I'll make sure to wear shoes next time around. Balance is an issue and I guess I was more afraid of falling over and hurting myself that I was putting weight in the wrong places. Still getting used to some of these workouts
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    For balance, try turning the front foot in slightly, too.
  • LiveLoveLift67
    LiveLoveLift67 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I also find that wearing flat shoes helps my balance when doing lunges. Nothing with the ridges and bumps
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I do my lunges barefoot most of the time so I don't see a problem with not wearing shoes.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Thanks everybody! I think I was bending it a weird way or something haha. But I was also barefoot in my workout space in our apartment. I didn't think that would make a difference, but I'll make sure to wear shoes next time around. Balance is an issue and I guess I was more afraid of falling over and hurting myself that I was putting weight in the wrong places. Still getting used to some of these workouts

I found that I have to wear shoes and socks when I'm doing home circuit training workouts. I had the same problem with the pad of my big toe. It wasn't a form issue, it was a friction issue with bare feet and carpet. Doing Rushfit in my bare feet caused a blister.
  • headofphat
    headofphat Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options

Bare feet is for hippies and yoga. Wear shoes when you work out.
  • alasin1derland
    alasin1derland Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're pushing through your heel of the front foot, not the ball of your foot. Might help the big toe pain issues. And proper shoes.

this. weight should be in the heel, not the toes.
  • MelStren
    MelStren Posts: 457 Member
    Options

This and I think it will get better when your strength, balance and form improve.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I always step backwards instead of forwards. A weight lifting coach in college told me it was better for my wonky knees.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    Lunging; good exercise!

Your knee should never go past your toe. The weight needs to be ditributed evenly between legs (Yes, that's hard). It's tough but you have to try to bring your back knee low. Don't do the lunges with dumbbells just yet. If you have to do them slowly, do them slowly. You get more benefit when you do the exercise as perfectly as possible as opposed to doing fast reps.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Step back into your lunge instead of forward into it. Stepping back promotes the correct muscle activation; people tend to only use the quads on the front leg, especially when stepping forward into them. The correct muscle activation includes trying to drag your front heel toward you, which turns on the posterior chain in your front leg and activates the flexors in your rear leg.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

Bare feet is for hippies and yoga. Wear shoes when you work out.

Why?

If you aren't in a public gym, there is absolutely no need for shoes. When doing bodyweight work (as the OP is), shoes are a hinderance not a help.
  • jaredsmith83
    jaredsmith83 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I guess I should have been more specific in my original post. Its the big toe on my back foot that hurts. It throws off my business. Maybe I'm leaning?
  • blanphere
    blanphere Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem on my right foot when doing lunges - RT foot back / LT foot forward. I have extremely horrible balance issues, and cannot bring my knee (RT or LT) anywhere near the floor without falling over! I do have some nerve damage issues and an old lady bunion on my RT foot, which makes flexing the toe painful and difficult. I always just thought that was the problem. If you (OP) are having the same problem, maybe it's NOT my old lady bunion! Or maybe I just suck at lunges! I'm almost through Stage 1 of NROL for Women, and I have managed to see significant improvements in strength and building muscle, yet I still struggle to do a simple lunge. Lunges just suck! Grrr! Hope your toe feels better, OP. I feel your pain! I don't have an answer for you...but I can totally empathize!