Cellulite... just argh!

Options
Hello people of MFP,

I have been trying (and sometimes succeeding) to lose weight since the 6th January, I have recently joined the gym (28th Feb) and have worked out every day in some shape or form every day, except for Sundays which is my 'rest' days I have been doing both weights and cardio (more cardio than weights but still...) and today doing the 30 Day Shred level 2 in the comfort of my living room in my knickers (don't ask!) I looked down to my thighs whilst doing those plank jump things and my God... my legs are gross - full of cellulite. How does one get rid of this?!

I am currently 90kgs and 5'7'' I drink at least 2l of water a day, eat reasonably well and like I say do some kind of exercise on an almost daily occasion. Any tips on how to reduce the look of cellulite as I know even skinny people get it too...

Thanks in advance, love and hugs!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    a lot of it is genetics... blame your parents!
  • rdchick
    rdchick Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    lol great! So I will be stuck with it forever?!
  • MissLeelooDallas
    MissLeelooDallas Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    You can exfoliate and use one of those round rubber scrubber brush things (I cannot remember what they're called, but they sell them at Sephora) and it might help some... I don't really have any great advice for you. I still have cellulite after losing weight and my tiniest friend even has cellulite (she's 5'6" / 105lbs). I'm guessing it's just genetics, but maybe some big thigh/glute muscles would take care of it ?
  • kitkatbar972
    Options
    I think it's a mix of genetics and how much fat and muscle you have in your legs. I never had it when I was playing basketball for 10 hours a week, despite the fact that my diet sucked and I weighed as much as I do now. We did a ton of squats and a lot of sprints so I'm sure my legs were a lot more muscular then than they are now. I'm 5'7.5 and 155lbs and I have it... the day I don't there is certainly going to be a celebratory thread here haha!
  • rdchick
    Options
    Thanks guys, I know even the skinniest of girls have it... I learnt that at a young age, I was jealous of a girl's body in my class... until she wore hot pants on a school trip - had more cellulite than me - that made me feel a bit better!

I want quite a firm body, I like the very fit look, not so much muscular like a body builder but just very toned and in shape.

I know drinking water and exercise helps so I guess I shall just continue with that!
  • jazzii98
    jazzii98 Posts: 33
    Options
    90% of women have cellulite so don't worry. Just think, when you have a perfect butt and toned legs no one will even notice the cellulite :wink:
  • jaenders06
    jaenders06 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    There are lotions and things that claim they help if you're really worried about it but I don't know how they work. I've also seen that a combination of a healthy diet, exercise, using an exfoliator and wearing slimming workout gear can help. Granted I'm not sure how true it really is, it could be worth a shot. I've got it too and I notice it more when I lose weight but I just don't let it bother me anymore. Goodluck!
  • cornfritter22
    cornfritter22 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I've had it since my teen years. I hate it. I don't think it will ever go away completely, but it does seem to be improving (slightly) as I'm building more muscle.
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    ugh if you fine the cure let me know!! I am going to get a soap and glory firming cream to try if its any good il let you all know lol
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Here it is: (and I too find it hard to follow this reality) you need to clean up your diet (are you carb sensitive? do you eat alot of sugar?) and lift weights. you need to build lean muscle to reduce the cellulite's appearance. Cardio is great to reduce bf but focus more on lifting
  • starsandowls
    starsandowls Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My toddler has cellulite. She has since she was born. She's not one of those weird Jaba the Hut fast food addict babies that you see in tabloids; she doesn't have much body fat on her, eats healthy food, and is very active. She still has cellulite. It's a genetic fact of life. When I saw that my baby had an orange peel butt, I gave up.

I know it's hard, and depending where you live and what your demographic is, it can be almost impossible to reconcile yourself, but honestly, you've got the body you've got, and it's not going to turn into Gwyneth Paltrow's body by any form of diet or exercise.
  • lucialynnc
    Options
    I had it in my teens when I was skinny and active, so I figure it's just part of me. Sorry.
  • rdchick
    Options
    I know it's one of life's kickers but it's just blurgh!

I am in the process of learning to eat clean, what to steer clear from and learning to lift too. I have never been a fan of those 'miracle' creams as it feels like it's an internal thing rather than external even though I know they claim to go deep... lol

If you find something that works please bottle it and send it my way!

Back onto day 2 of level 2 of the shred... I need my head checking!

Thanks guys <3
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Here it is: (and I too find it hard to follow this reality) you need to clean up your diet (are you carb sensitive? do you eat alot of sugar?) and lift weights. you need to build lean muscle to reduce the cellulite's appearance. Cardio is great to reduce bf but focus more on lifting

Eating clean does not get rid of cellulite. Losing weight and doing a lifting routine help reduce the appearance, but it will always be there. It's genetic.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Clarification: Eating clean will help avoid new cellulite. Lifting will help reduce the appearance of cellulite.
  • benniesmother
    benniesmother Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    when I was 100 lb I had cellulite on the back of my legs. however, I didn't exercise.

I'm now 112, and I have barely any. but I exercise a lot.
  • archaichoney
    archaichoney Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    You've been working out for less than two weeks? Give it time.

This probably sounds weird, but I actually think a little cellulite on the back of the thigh is attractive. It's real and it's something that about 98% of women have in this world.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I've always been thin but had cellulite. Train with heavier weights and you'll see improvement. 30 day shred was the first time I saw a reduction in cellulite and it made me so happy.
  • BeckyGee84
    BeckyGee84 Posts: 124 Member
    Options

Good article! I can't believe someone would say that she looks like "hell" just because a picture of her was taken that wasn't airbrushed. I think she looks awesome. I used to think only heavier people had cellulite until I saw one of my really skinny friends in a swimsuit and she had it. I don't like how my cellulite looks but I don't make too big a deal of it anymore. If it reduces in appearance by strength training, great. If not, whatever!