Massive loss in first week

Options
I've searched for the answer but couldn't find it.

My friend started at 250. Really bad diet, mainly processed food etc, sitting down in the evening and devouring family size choc bars.

Last Monday she started a 'healthy eating' plan. Nothing too extravagant. Plenty of fruit. Eating lots of veg and cutting out ALL soda and sweets but really still eating plenty and she's lost 16lb in 8 days

Is this even normal? No exercise whatsoever... She's concerned it's not healthy and is nervous about seeing the doctor as they advised 2lb a week

Opinions please? Thankyou :) xx

Replies

• gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    With the restriction of calories, comes a pretty significant water weight loss in the first week. Perfectly normal and will level out next week.
  • emmaelisenl
    emmaelisenl Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I lost quite a lot in my first week as well, just my body getting used to my new diet and water weight. Now I am losing about 4 lbs a week, sometimes a little more and sometimes a little less. I think it will go down to 2 lbs a week soon!
  • laurarich2014
    laurarich2014 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I agree that it is mostly water weight in the first week. When you start out at a much higher weight for you and are used to drinking and eating lots of sugar and completely cut that out then you will see a dramatic loss right away. I am surprised she didn't have sugar withdrawals. Eating lots of fruit and vegetables will certainly help those cravings too since lots of fruit have natural sugars. I am sure that the weight loss will go down and even out over the next couple weeks.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,172 Member
    Options
    It is primarily water loss due to the change in diet. Much of the food mentioned is high in sodium. To deal with sodium your body uses a lot of water. Now that the sodium levels are likely closer to a reasonable amount, that water can be released and water weighs a lot. Nothing to worry about. The other thing that is likely contributing is additional fiber so the food no longer sits in her gut for long periods of time.
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    This happens a lot. Most often to people with very sedentary lives and not so great diets. It usually tapers off- and that is the stage where people get really discouraged and you start seeing all the "what am I doing wrong" posts. As long as she is eating enough fuel for her body, the rapid weightloss is not going to hurt her unless there are medical factors. Our weight can fluctuate up to around 5lbs in a day and the scale number is very much influenced by hydration, sleep, waste in our system, salt, sugar, and so much more.

Tell her to make sure she is getting at least 1200 calories and to drink lots of water and sleep. Given her weight she would probably still lose weight around 1800-2000 calories if she wanted. If she is eating a lot of veggies, its very possible for her to eat a ton, be full, and still consume too few calories to fuel her everyday body functions. Tell her to use a TDEE calculator online to determine her calorie goal. I like iifym.com
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I lost quite a lot in my first week as well, just my body getting used to my new diet and water weight. Now I am losing about 4 lbs a week, sometimes a little more and sometimes a little less. I think it will go down to 2 lbs a week soon!
    What are you doing to lose four pounds a week? Sure, at first you lose weight quickly, but if you are losing four pounds a week that means you are eating at a 2,000 calorie deficit each day, which amounts to what, eating about 300-500 calorie a day?

As soon as you start eating only 1,000 calories below your TDEE will you start to lose 2 pounds a week. However, from your ticker, it does not look like you have that much to lose so 2 pounds a week might be too aggressive.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    water weight.
  • Sarahloulalou
    Sarahloulalou Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. We did google around for water weight but suggestions were around 8lb of water weight max.

Thanks for the info shared