I hate logging my food!

Options
2»

Replies

• fsucrack
    fsucrack Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I know that I can not, not log my food. I need to log to stay accountable and know what I have going in. Once I became constistant with logging and weighing and measuring then I really started to loss the weight. I used to exercise all the time adn really wonder what more could I do because I was not seeing progress. I have a few friends that say that it is stupid for them to log becuase they know how to make healthy choices, and then they wonder why they are gaining because they are not making healthy choices. I use the reciepes and meals a lot because I tend to eat a lot of the same foods. Good luck
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    Logging takes time. I've learned to log my foods in the night before, then the next morning I pack my lunch and snacks, know what I'm going to have for dinner, etc. Logging in as I go is a sure-fire way for me to fail. That's also why I use a "set" number of calories rather than MFP's way of "eating calories back."

I think you need to understand what it is about logging calories that you hate. Personally, I happily log in calories until (like last night) the "Bingemonster" hits. I REALLY HATE logging in those extra binge calories but I know that I have to do it so I can face what I'm doing to myself.

If it's just the time it takes to log, use the shortcuts ("Quick Add" "Recipes" "My Meals" "Recent" and "Frequent" foods, etc,) to make it easier.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone saying that the app with barcode scanner is the best. There's no looking things up, which is great, and I tend to buy the same products over and over.

I like to log my breakfast and lunch first thing in the morning, before I eat any of it (I bring my breakfast to work and eat it there since I hate eating early). I also try to log my dinner before I eat it and edit it before I go back for seconds. If you log first, getting to eat it is the reward for logging. Also, you can see the impact on your daily calories before you put them in your mouth, which can help you make better decisions.

If I am in a rush, I will weigh the food and take a picture of the food on the scale. Then, when I have downtime/when I'm logging the next meal, I can go into my photos and see that I measured 85 grams of spinach followed by 4 grams of feta, etc.
  • lamps1303
    lamps1303 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Logging does take time and sometimes it can be a pain. As others have said, if your meals are fairly similar day-to-day you can create your own meals/recipes. Personally, my breakfasts, lunches and snacks are pretty much identical each day so I usually either copy from the previous day or just to go recent items then adjust the weight accordingly.

Logging does soon become a force of habit, and you will get to a point where you log each time you eat, and/or log items prior to eating to make sure you have enough calories for the day. I used to not care what I ate - even if things were 'healthy' I would just eat loads and not think about the calories. MFP makes you accountable and honest and realise what you're eating. It also makes you ask yourself whether you NEED to eat something, or whether your hunger is in fact boredom - a lot of the time I want to eat because I'm bored but if I don't have the calories for the day I don't eat (I try to drink water or GT instead).
  • Lea_8D
    Lea_8D Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Instead of breakfast choose 'all meals' when looking through recent items.
    I don't see that option on my version of the app. Where is it?
  • Tofteberg
    Tofteberg Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the ideas. I think the barcode is new since my last try and I will try using the recipes more. I like cooking and I eat salads with lots of veggies so I found it annoying to enter 10 things to get "salad". The recipe function will help.