Does this happen to anyone else?

EllennD
EllennD Posts: 96 Member
When i do a work out in the morning the amount i can lift is a lot less than if i did a work out in the afternoon/early evening?

anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Are you getting enough protein on a daily basis?
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Yep.
    I am not a morning person! My energy is not as high as if I worked out in the afternoon/evening. I just can't deliver as much intensity and effort.
  • DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    I don't know if I've tested this exact issue (as far as lifting more weight at night), but I've noticed that I have a lot more energy and get a lot more out of my workouts in the evening. I don't think it's a "problem", I just think I'm not a morning person.
  • erockem
    erockem Posts: 278 Member
    Opposite for me. Morning lifting out weighs evening lifting for me. Morning runs are 1-2mph faster than evenings. Morning bike rides are significantly longer then evening. (Try adding a pre-workout drink 30-60mins before your morning lift or cardio.)
  • Morethanwillpower12
    Morethanwillpower12 Posts: 74 Member
    I found this to be true on my elliptical. If I do a workout in the evening, I am able to burn more calories (according to the elliptical) in the same amount of time than if I do a workout in the morning. I thought maybe it was just because I am not really a morning person. I like to get up in just enough time to shower, get ready and get to work. Interested in what others think about this also. :)
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Yep. I just switched to morning workouts and I suck. I know some of it is not being as loosened up as I would be after a full day of activity, but everything is pathetic. Energy, endurance, strength, speed, all nosediving. I hope this evens out soon.
  • Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    I find I have a prime time for working out. Generally, it's in the afternoon before I hit the midday slump from a workday, so around 1-2pm. Since I'm generally working, I can't workout during this time, but I've found that the mornings are more forgiving than the evenings in terms of effort.
  • Wiltord1982
    Wiltord1982 Posts: 312 Member
    I never noticed a difference between morning and evening in my case. It usually has to do with my global shape. When I'm in a great shape, I usually lift heavier than when I'm tired.

I once tried lifting early in the morning. I was yawning between squats sets :P

1394460798_chimp_waking_up.gif
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    I am the same way. I am not a morning person at all. The only workout I don't mind doing in the morning is swimming, for some reason that seems to work just fine. Luckily I work my schedule out ahead of time so I don't have to do morning workouts very often.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Yup! I am no good in the morning. I actually saw this on my HRM years ago - comparing idential workouts, afternoon vs early morning, I'd burn more calories in the afternoon. I tend to go around 11am these days, by then I'm fully awake and ready to go.

The only exception is morning runs in the summer - I basically have to go then because it's too hot later in the day. I just have to make sure I'm fully hydrated (start the day before) and might even overeat a bit the day before to make sure I've got enough fuel.
  • Serenitytoo
    Serenitytoo Posts: 449 Member
    I am the same way. I don't think I get as much out of a first thing in the morning workout as I am not necessarily pushing as much because I am not awake yet. Afternoon or evening I can push more and workout longer which I think gives me the opportunity to work through more of the tiredness. I am not a mroning person at all. I still do the morning ones because it is the easiest to get in and I do feel better through the day compared to days where I don't do the morning workout.