Newbie, Also need some help with supplements

Hello, really new to this site, and figured would introduce myself, and possibly get some feedback. My name is Cory and I am 28 yo. I use to workout quite a bit, all the way through high school, but as time went on, I just stopped doing so. Have gone to the gym once in a blue moon, but never something I pursued as an adult. Well I stepped onto the scale the other day, and realize this is something I can no longer ignore. I now weigh 220 lbs and being that I am 5'11", I guess I could be considered obese. To me that is just something that I have never been able to come to terms with, and now that I have, it must be resolved. I have been going to the gym within the last 5 days, 4 out of those 5, and realize that I am wayyyy out of shape. Talked to one of the trainers there, and she gave a little information, consume half of your body weight in protein, eat something nutritional every 4 hours. But, at this point I am a little lost and would love to receive some guidance. I have heard about supplements, but never really looked into, and doing so now, it is extremely overwhelming. You have whey protein, hemp protein, casein protein, and a whole slew of others. Plus there is the pre and post workout supplements, the fat burners, the vitamins, amino acids, the enzymes, etc. At this point, I would love to just meet someone that can either educate me on everything and give advice, or point me into the right direction that will provide sound information (considering everything always contradicts something I have already read). I am planning on alternating hot yoga and body pump, and wondering if it would help to do the elliptical or treadmill, and/or even heavy weight lifting. I not only want to lose weight, but I want to tone up, in a way I never have. Weight lifting in high school instilled a good fundamental base, but never really had that ripped physique have always wanted, and afraid that exercise and dieting wont be enough. Thanks for at least reading this, and hope to get some positive insight.

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    You lose weight by eating at a deficit. Period. Log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • STC1188
    STC1188 Posts: 101 Member
    Disregard most supplements. Protein powder is only important if you don't get enough through other sources. And also follow above.
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Hello, really new to this site, and figured would introduce myself, and possibly get some feedback. My name is Cory and I am 28 yo. I use to workout quite a bit, all the way through high school, but as time went on, I just stopped doing so. Have gone to the gym once in a blue moon, but never something I pursued as an adult. Well I stepped onto the scale the other day, and realize this is something I can no longer ignore. I now weigh 220 lbs and being that I am 5'11", I guess I could be considered obese. To me that is just something that I have never been able to come to terms with, and now that I have, it must be resolved. I have been going to the gym within the last 5 days, 4 out of those 5, and realize that I am wayyyy out of shape. Talked to one of the trainers there, and she gave a little information, consume half of your body weight in protein, eat something nutritional every 4 hours. But, at this point I am a little lost and would love to receive some guidance. I have heard about supplements, but never really looked into, and doing so now, it is extremely overwhelming. You have whey protein, hemp protein, casein protein, and a whole slew of others. Plus there is the pre and post workout supplements, the fat burners, the vitamins, amino acids, the enzymes, etc. At this point, I would love to just meet someone that can either educate me on everything and give advice, or point me into the right direction that will provide sound information (considering everything always contradicts something I have already read). I am planning on alternating hot yoga and body pump, and wondering if it would help to do the elliptical or treadmill, and/or even heavy weight lifting. I not only want to lose weight, but I want to tone up, in a way I never have. Weight lifting in high school instilled a good fundamental base, but never really had that ripped physique have always wanted, and afraid that exercise and dieting wont be enough. Thanks for at least reading this, and hope to get some positive insight.

Welcome Cory!! People here have varying opinions on supplements, protein powders, and other supplements. I'll just give my own advice on what I have used and found success with.

Casein protein is a slower digesting protein so it takes more work for your body to break it down. Makes it a great protein to have before bed to keep your muscles fed overnight.

I take L-Carnitine (currently using pro Supps L-arnitine 1500 chocolate flavor) before working out and have an amino acid post workout drink (currently using Pro Supps AminoLinx fruit punch flavor) to help refeed my muscles after beating myself up and it really helps (me) with lessening any muscle soreness. CLA can be good for helping to burn fat, which is found in dairy products. You can also buy it separately as a supplement, but it isn't necessary.

As for your plans with Yoga and body pump, that sounds fantastic to me. Body Pump is an amazing workout. I used to take that class all the time years ago, it was my favorite class. I don't think extra cardio is necesarry. Maybe take a few Pump classes and get a handle on lifting, then venture into the free weight section. or check out Strong Lifts 5x5 - fantastic info there.

Good luck on your journey! :smile:

Edited for spelling, hope it fixed em all :)
  • MonicaA2013
    MonicaA2013 Posts: 753 Member
    Deal with the weight issue first, then slowly add in the muscle workouts later. Follow MFP's suggested guidelines and you will do fine. Eat normal foods don't go changing that unless you don't like the foods you have been eating. Just change the amounts of them and cut back/out the less healthy ones. LOG , MEASURE and WEIGH all your foods. Be sure to drink at least 8 glasses or more of water per day . Take in Lots of veggies and fruit.

DEF READ THIS : http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Good luck hope this helps.
  • taniabeth78
    taniabeth78 Posts: 20 Member
    No supplements needed!!! Just eat healthy and the energy will follow, which will help you at the gym. 80% of weight loss is nutrition. So if you start there, then everything else will follow. Good luck!
  • Thank you all for the valuable feedback, I definitely know that my eating habits play a huge part in it, and plus making it a habit to get up early in the morning to work out will be a struggle. I do believe that it is hard for me to obtain enough protein through my normal diet, so I will be using Six Star Nutrition recovery protein, and see how that goes. I also got some samples for pre workout, just to see how it is for me, and because I just feel like I dont have enough energy in the morning to push through the workout I am looking to achieve. I was wondering if anyone has used EAS Lean 15, and had any luck with it? 6 days a week, with min of 360 hours in the gym. Also, curious as to find out which is more important, total fat intake, or total calorie intake? I dont seem to have an issue with staying under my calorie goal, but the fat has been giving me issue. I promise I am looking at tons of information, so I hope it doesn't seem like I am just pursuing the easiest possible way to gain information, there is just so much out there that it is hard to not only decipher what I am looking for specifically, but also understand what they are referring to some of the time.
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    My opinion
    1. Supplements: for now disregard any supplements. Get your diet on track ensuring a good balance of F/C/P - start getting into the habits of eating healthy - Tracking on MFP is a great help. Tablets -
    2. Ripped look: Fat loss is key - you will be told 1000 times you cannot out exercise a "bad" diet. I would pull on your previous experience in weight training for maintaining muscle mass while shredding the KG. Cardio your call I would suggest unless you love running 25 mins "warm up" to get your weight training into anaerobic mode "easier"
    3. Pre / post work-out shakes: For now shelve the idea. Unless you are doing multiple work outs in a day your body still takes some hours to process the "shake / bar" - for now I recommend on shredding those KG's (fat) and maintain as much muscle as possible maintain protein in nutrition and day apart resistance training eg. 1 off 1 on
    4. Body weight exercises - consider some of these in your routine eg. holding the Plank position 30 secs on and off for 3 reps

Fat intake is important - Eat healthy levels, many diet foods / low fat are either loaded with sugar or artificial sweeteners. No foods are bad - it is eating the right balance and in proportions.

Balanced diet - Keep it simple if you can prepare your own meals you will have a better idea of what you are eating
    Get a scale: For now weigh everything you eat to ensure you accurately estimate your intake / calories. You can then use your own judgement what foods you need to weight and what you can estimate later and it also helps if you get your "eye in" for estimating meals you eat out.

Exciting times for you! You are in a great place and position with your previous experience you can draw on this to really make a difference and you will see changes pretty quickly to keep you motivated. As tacky as it sounds take some photos and body measurements now as well as your weight these can serve as great motivators also especially when you hit a weight plateau - it will happen at some point - you can see just how far you have come and it helps you keep focused.
  • WampBreh
    WampBreh Posts: 15
    Would like to reiterate that you, in all likelihood, do not need any supplements at this point. The only one you are ever likely to need or want to use is protein and even then it's only for convenience rather than a requirement. Don't believe the 1g of protein per 1lb of body weight hype!
    Also, curious as to find out which is more important, total fat intake, or total calorie intake? I dont seem to have an issue with staying under my calorie goal, but the fat has been giving me issue.
    Total calorie intake is more important. Once you have met your daily protein and fat requirements you should fill the remaining calories with carbs. However, you CAN fill the remainder with more protein, more fat or a combination of the two - they will just be broken down and used as energy anyway so it's all swings and roundabouts really.